Thread: Scotches

Scotches

There isn't really a best among the King of Liquors - there's just different versions of excellent.

I'm a really big fan of the Balvenie Portwood right now (uncle got it for me when the twins were born :D )

For anyone who likes (or wants to try) Blue Label - it's only $90/bottle at duty free in Canada!

Board Moderator
    Macallan 25 Year is the BEST

So is the Cask strength one too

And for the smoky lovers - Lagavulin is also AMAZING

[QUOTE=Vilma]Macallan 25 Year is the BEST

So is the Cask strength one too

And for the smoky lovers - Lagavulin is also AMAZING[/QUOTE]

Bastard. You beat me to it.

Lagavulin is terrific....

I'd also recommend Balvenie Doublewood 12 year.

[QUOTE=MiamiJet]Bastard. You beat me to it.

Lagavulin is terrific....

I'd also recommend Balvenie Doublewood 12 year.[/QUOTE]

Good stuff. I'm not a big fan of smoky. I've got a great bottle of Bowmore Port Casked Islay that I just can't drink straight. I use it in barbecue sauce (I'll put the recipe on the tailgate forum eventually) and its out of this world

I drink Glenlivit most times because it's so commonly available, and even the standard bar version is quite good. Walker too, fits the common and quality combo.

As for other brands......I honestly have a tough time remembering them, as I don't usually buy bottle, but taste and try when I am at functions or in bars.

Oban was quite good. Lagavulin, Laphroag were both quite tasty. Aberlour, Balvenie, Dalmore......trying to remember others I've tried over the past few years. I honestly don't pay much attention to sub-branding or age of individual bottles. I just take a bit of whatever rare or more obscure Scotch is available, and enjoy it for whatever it is.

As long as it isn't Cutty Sark, eh? :D

Jets Insider VIP
    If any of you are ever in Saratoga, there is a great jazz bar called 9 Maple. The owner has put together a great scotch collection - 50 or so differnt single malts. He breaks them up into region - Highlands, Lowlands, etc... Just tell the bartender what type of scotch you enjoy and he will match it up with a bottle from that region. Called many a cab to get me home from there after tasting my way thru Scotland. :D

[QUOTE=doggin94it]There isn't really a best among the King of Liquors - there's just different versions of excellent.

I'm a really big fan of the Balvenie Portwood right now (uncle got it for me when the twins were born :D )

For anyone who likes (or wants to try) Blue Label - it's only $90/bottle at duty free in Canada![/QUOTE]

I had blue label on new year's with my father... I really think it is fantastic.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Im a JW Gold fan myself..the Blue is highly over-rated for the price...but on our Alaskan cruise they were serving Blue for $10 a pop, I did dring a s**tload that day

[IMG]http://web.telia.com/~u49108394/bilder/Johnnie%20Walker%20Gold%20Label.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    As far as Scotch goes I think that 18 year old Glenlivit, Glen Ord and Loch Dhu Black Scotch (only whiskey that I ever drink that was black, it has a unique taste like burnt berries) are my favorites. For whiskey in general I stick with Jameson it is very good much cheaper them the scotches I listed and easier to find. Another good whiskey is 16 year old Three Wood Bushmills, it is a very good single malt Irish Whiskey that I would put up against any another whiskey.

I think that JW Blue and Gold are over rated and don't taste much different then JW Black for the huge difference in price.

Laphroaig has to be the worst scotch that I have even tasted, it taste like it was poured through char coal and band aids. As for most Islay it is just to smoky for my taste.

Macallan 25 is a very good scotch a little too pricey too a lot.
    Last edited by New York Mick; 05-23-2006 at 07:14 AM.

Veteran
    I had the opportunity to work in a great steakhouse that served all the best of the single malt and would drink this stuff for free. Two more years of a blur.

I love the Islay scotches. Lagavullin, Laphroiag even Ardbeg, but that's a potent mix. On the smoother side the Oban, Dalwinnie and Balvenie are great, but if you ever get your hands on a Bunnahaiban invest and ingest. Damn good stuff.