Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT:Knicks Trade Davis for Jalen Rose & 1st round pick

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

OT:Knicks Trade Davis for Jalen Rose & 1st round pick

The New York Knicks have acquired Toronto Raptors guard/forward Jalen Rose and a first-round pick in exchange for power forward Antonio Davis, ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reports.

Davis was a likely target to be traded because of his expiring contract.

The draft pick is a first-round pick from the Denver Nuggets, which the Raptors acquired in an earlier trade, the Toronto Star reports.

Davis, who played for Toronto for four-plus seasons from 1999-2003, served a five-game suspension after going into the stands in Chicago during a confrontation between his wife, Kendra, and a fan. Davis played for the Bulls for 1 seasons after being acquired from the Raptors.

The 37-year-old Davis, who spent the first six seasons of his career with the Indiana Pacers, was averaging just 5.0 points and 4.8 rebounds in 36 games for the Knicks.

Rose, who turned 33 on Monday, is averaging 12.1 points -- his lowest mark since 1998-99 with the Pacers -- and 2.8 rebounds in 46 contests.

Information from SportsTicker was used in this report.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    *yawn*

A first round pick for 15 million dollars in salary, it aint my money.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many years does Jalen Rose have on his contract?
    Is it just a first round pick... or is it conditional in any way?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist
    How many years does Jalen Rose have on his contract?
    Is it just a first round pick... or is it conditional in any way?
    Denver's this year, lotery protected this year, but Den is making the playoffs.

Rise has one more year left on his deal after this season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Great move by Thomas. He got a better player and a pick. Rose probably won't be around next year. About time for that youth movement.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least the Knicks got a 1st rounder out of it. Their sure-to-be lottery pick went to Chicago in the Eddy Curry trade. As one who was growing up when the Knicks won their two titles, I'm sickened by what this team has become.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry Brown is all about Defense..Something the knicks flat out dont have..Not that they shouldnt have made the trade but A. Davis was one of the only decent defenders they had...

Atleast they got a 1st round pick but why wouldnt the Knicks just let the Antonio Davis and Hardaway contracts just expire and than after next season they just cleared about 30 mil..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    An absolutely moronic trade. This year's draft class is going to be one of the worst ever, especially since all the top HS propsects will not be able to enter for the first time. The knicks continue to make the same mistake, dating back to when they traded Ewing to Seattle. They don't understand the value of an expiring contract and they then trade these contracts for bonafide losers. I think the knicks are the worst managed team in sports. Its a toss up between them and the chicago blackhaws (also the rangers and islanders, but the rangers found a good coach this year).

Its an embarrassment and I couldnt be any happier to see the Dolan's fail. I think James Dolan has the most punchable face besides Ben Affleck.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla
    I think the knicks are the worst managed team in sports. Its a toss up between them and the chicago blackhaws (also the rangers and islanders, but the rangers found a good coach this year).

Its an embarrassment and I couldnt be any happier to see the Dolan's fail. I think James Dolan has the most punchable face besides Ben Affleck.
    Don't forget the Jets and Woody Johnson...........

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    Larry Brown is all about Defense..Something the knicks flat out dont have..Not that they shouldnt have made the trade but A. Davis was one of the only decent defenders they had...

Atleast they got a 1st round pick but why wouldnt the Knicks just let the Antonio Davis and Hardaway contracts just expire and than after next season they just cleared about 30 mil..
    Because they would still be around $40M over the cap.......

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Denver's this year, lotery protected this year, but Den is making the playoffs.

Rise has one more year left on his deal after this season.
    per cnnsi.com

The pick the Raptors sent to New York originally belonged to Denver and is not lottery protected. The Knicks, who had given up their first-round pick last offseason in a trade with the Bulls for Eddy Curry and Davis, also own San Antonio's first-round pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart
    per cnnsi.com

The pick the Raptors sent to New York originally belonged to Denver and is not lottery protected. The Knicks, who had given up their first-round pick last offseason in a trade with the Bulls for Eddy Curry and Davis, also own San Antonio's first-round pick.
    doesn't matter since Denver isn't gonna be in the lottery

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    Great move by Thomas. He got a better player and a pick. Rose probably won't be around next year. About time for that youth movement.
    Personally after thinking about the trade for a few hours I think it was an awful move. For starters, Brown HATES Rose, he benched him when they were both on Indiana because Rose was a trouble maker and refused to be humble and buy into Brown's defensive mentality. With Brown's status for next year shaky as it is this isn't the best way of telling Brown we want him for the long term.

Second, he should have waited closer until the trade deadline to move Davis. Some team would have offered Zeke a better deal for a player of Davis' caliber with an expiring contract. Be it a better player of more draft picks I'm convinced that if he'd waited to move Davis there would have been a better offer on the table.

Third, Rose isn't going to make the Knicks any better. For his entire career he's been a "me first" player with an offensive mentality, which is the LAST thing the Knicks need right now due to the fact that they have a roster that is composed mostly of "me first" players as it is. If you think Steph's liked having to pass the ball off more to create plays wait until you see what happens when Rose goes on one of his vintage "Jalen Rose" quarters in a game where he takes shot after shot without thinking twice.

Fourth, part of me thinks that Zeke did this because of all the heat he's drawing from giving up this year's draft pick for Curry, due to many people being convinced that they would have accepted a protected pick if Zeke had bothered to offer them one. Thus, he can say we aquired a first round pick, even though that pick is Denver's, which means it'll probably be somewhere between picks 22-28.

Just my opinion, personally I think it's another sign that Brown ain't comin back next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a vintage move by Isiah Thomas, IMO. He trades our best rebounder, a player who actually plays defense, for a player who is going to come on the court and do nothing but shoot.

Isiah Thomas has done nothing but stack this team with players that are either over-paid or have a 'me first' attitude. Jamal Crawford, Eddie Curry, Jalen Rose, Stephon Marbury, Quentin Richardson and Malik Rose are all players who fit the description. They all have good talent but are career losers.
    Last edited by Jack Straw; 02-04-2006 at 01:27 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    Personally after thinking about the trade for a few hours I think it was an awful move. For starters, Brown HATES Rose, he benched him when they were both on Indiana because Rose was a trouble maker and refused to be humble and buy into Brown's defensive mentality. With Brown's status for next year shaky as it is this isn't the best way of telling Brown we want him for the long term.

Second, he should have waited closer until the trade deadline to move Davis. Some team would have offered Zeke a better deal for a player of Davis' caliber with an expiring contract. Be it a better player of more draft picks I'm convinced that if he'd waited to move Davis there would have been a better offer on the table.

Third, Rose isn't going to make the Knicks any better. For his entire career he's been a "me first" player with an offensive mentality, which is the LAST thing the Knicks need right now due to the fact that they have a roster that is composed mostly of "me first" players as it is. If you think Steph's liked having to pass the ball off more to create plays wait until you see what happens when Rose goes on one of his vintage "Jalen Rose" quarters in a game where he takes shot after shot without thinking twice.

Fourth, part of me thinks that Zeke did this because of all the heat he's drawing from giving up this year's draft pick for Curry, due to many people being convinced that they would have accepted a protected pick if Zeke had bothered to offer them one. Thus, he can say we aquired a first round pick, even though that pick is Denver's, which means it'll probably be somewhere between picks 22-28.

Just my opinion, personally I think it's another sign that Brown ain't comin back next year.
    But it's not about THIS year. He got out of a contract for a player that can possibly be dealt later. I've seen very little of the Knicks this year, but enough to know AD is on the steep side of the hill. In the end you got a pick after exchanging guys neither team can use. Thomas made out like a bandit. If not for Tim Thomas...oh wait, the Nets are actually looking at him. Nevermind.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFutureGM
    This is a vintage move by Isiah Thomas, IMO. He trades our best rebounder, a player who actually plays defense, for a player who is going to come on the court and do nothing but shoot.

Isiah Thomas has done nothing but stack this team with players that are either over-paid or have a 'me first' attitude. Jamal Crawford, Eddie Curry, Jalen Rose, Stephon Marbury, Quentin Richardson and Malik Rose are all players who fit the description. They all have good talent but are career losers.
    I do not lump Jamal Crawford into this group ... but I am extremely disapointed with what Isaha has assembled.

As for Jamal, he seems to be very "coachable" and looking to Larry for guidance. I wish nothing but the best to Jamal Crawford.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10
    I do not lump Jamal Crawford into this group ... but I am extremely disapointed with what Isaha has assembled.

As for Jamal, he seems to be very "coachable" and looking to Larry for guidance. I wish nothing but the best to Jamal Crawford.

Agreed. I see a lot of coachable talent in Jamal Crawford. He still goes out and makes stupid plays, but that is understandable from a young player. The one thing that has stood out to me about Crawford is the fact that he wants to learn from Larry Brown and goes out every day to get better.

I like the ability of the players Thomas has brought into NY. Players like Marbury and Curry are exremely talented athletes, but they just don't don't have "it."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    But it's not about THIS year. He got out of a contract for a player that can possibly be dealt later. I've seen very little of the Knicks this year, but enough to know AD is on the steep side of the hill. In the end you got a pick after exchanging guys neither team can use. Thomas made out like a bandit. If not for Tim Thomas...oh wait, the Nets are actually looking at him. Nevermind.
    Where in this trade did we make out like bandits? What was "bandit-like" about picking up Rose's $15 million per year for the next two seasons? How on earth does the presence that a player like Jalen Rose brings to a team help on a team already struggling to find it's identity? We got another bloated salary to add on to the other 9 bloated salaries on the roster, but we also got a draft pick that's most likely to be between picks 22-28...whoop-dee-doo.

In terms of helping Larry Brown building the team he wants, Zeke did not make out like a bandit. Jalen Rose gave Larry Brown more problems than any other player in Brown's coaching career. Brown's commitment for the long term is already in question due to health concerns that have risen again; do you honestly think that he'd consider staying if any more problems arise with Rose? Regardless of whether Rose stays or not, he's starting to see the kinds of FO moves that Zeke pulls and he might not want to deal with it. I'm telling you right now, if Rose gives Brown the type of trouble that he did in Indy, Brown's gone, regardless of whether Rose stays or not. Further, he didn't get along at all with Zeke when he was coaching Indiana after Brown, which is very puzzling as to why he'd even make the trade. Like I said, IMO he did it for the draft pick so everyone would ease up on him a little bit in regards to giving Chicago an unprotected pick next year, which could very well wind up a top 3 pick.

I've watched almost every Knick game this year, and I can tell you that the last thing that this team needs is another offensive minded, shoot first player getting in the heads of some of the younger talent on the team who are already struggling to adapt to Brown's game, which is pretty much the majority of players who get minutes on the roster. (Nate, Crawford, Curry, Q-Rich....and you can throw Marbury on there as well even though he's not so young anymore).

Zeke should have waited, he would've gotten a better offer. There's several teams who are getting ready for a playoff push who probably would've offered something better, and most definitely they would have offered a player who wasn't as overpaid as Rose is.

The team that made out like bandits in this one is Toronto. They traded away a pick that was pretty much meaningless to them, and now will clear the necessary cap space to give Chris Bosh a long term deal. Word has it they'll just let Davis go in the coming weeks, which means they traded away what will probably be a late first round pick, and an underachieving, overpaid player who's set to make over 30 million dollars over the next two seasons in order to sign Bosh, who is arguably the best young big man in the league not named Amare.

Meanwhile, the Knicks now have arguably the two most overpaid players in the league now between Rose and Penny. But it's cool, we got a late first round pick, which means JACK in the NBA. Way to go Zeke.
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 02-04-2006 at 05:01 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Toronto fan here. Always have been, always will be.

Some people on the Raps forums think that you guys actually won the trade (to which i disagree with), as you got the better player + a pick. But I don't see why Isiah makes this trade.

Lets look at your players at the 1,2,3

Marbury, Penny, J.Rose, Crawford, Robinson, Q-Rich, Ariza, Q.Woods...and you can argue that Malik Rose and David Lee can play the 3 spots. That's paying out a lot at those positions.

not to mention youre still paying shandon anderson and allan houston

the Raps give up a late 1st in one of the weakest draft classes seen in ages and free up enough cash to give Bosh his long-term deal (hopefully...and it will kick in in 2 seasons), sign Mike James to a new deal and possibly sign a free agent (Pryzbilla? Or maybe even Peja who said he would like to play in T.O)...we realize we arent winning anything for a while, and there is such a thing as a team being TOO young, so it was good to dump the pick

not even larry brown can save this situation, that team is a mess...BRING BACK LAYDEN LOL!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by -inVINCEible-
    Toronto fan here. Always have been, always will be.

Some people on the Raps forums think that you guys actually won the trade (to which i disagree with), as you got the better player + a pick. But I don't see why Isiah makes this trade.

Lets look at your players at the 1,2,3

Marbury, Penny, J.Rose, Crawford, Robinson, Q-Rich, Ariza, Q.Woods...and you can argue that Malik Rose and David Lee can play the 3 spots. That's paying out a lot at those positions.

not to mention youre still paying shandon anderson and allan houston

the Raps give up a late 1st in one of the weakest draft classes seen in ages and free up enough cash to give Bosh his long-term deal (hopefully...and it will kick in in 2 seasons), sign Mike James to a new deal and possibly sign a free agent (Pryzbilla? Or maybe even Peja who said he would like to play in T.O)...we realize we arent winning anything for a while, and there is such a thing as a team being TOO young, so it was good to dump the pick

not even larry brown can save this situation, that team is a mess...BRING BACK LAYDEN LOL!!!
    Raptors fans should be doing backflips as far as I'm concerned. This trade means that the club is gearing up to do everything it possibly can to give Bosh a long term deal.

Now Toronto has an absurd amount of cap room for next season and can not only give Bosh his deal, but also pursue another young, talented free agent next offseason (Joe Johnson, Caron Butler, Jason Terry, Andre Miller, Mike Dunleavy).

That means you'll have a young foundation of Bosh, Villanueva, and probably one of those guys. Not too bad if you ask me, that's something you can build around. Realize though that they had to do everything possible to resign Bosh. You can't let a young player of that caliber go, you just can't. He's too good.

I don't see what the big stink is in Toronto about losing Rose, he completely stopped trying to pass the ball this season and he doesn't shoot from the 3 point line as well as he used to. For a guy who gets paid like Rose does and produces the results that he does, Raptors fans shouls be happy to see him go. Toronto definitely made the better decision for their future, New York did not.

Of course the trade doesn't make sense in terms of the roster. No free agent signings or trades that Zeke does really ever make that much sense. Like I said above, personally I think he did it to get everyone off his back for the Knicks not having a first rounder next year, due to the utter stupidity that forced him to neglect protecting the pick we gave to Chicago in the Curry trade.
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 02-04-2006 at 05:49 AM.