Thread: Was Don Mayard the Greatest Deep Threat of All-Time?

Veteran

Was Don Mayard the Greatest Deep Threat of All-Time?

He averaged a whopping 18.7 yards per catch for his career (The highest I have ever seen). James Lofton, who many people consider the best, averaged 18.3 YPC.

I never saw Maynard play (I'm only 21 years old). Was he the greatest? Does somebody have a scouting report on him?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFutureGM
    He averaged a whopping 18.7 yards per catch for his career (The highest I have ever seen). James Lofton, who many people consider the best, averaged 18.3 YPC.

I never saw Maynard play (I'm only 21 years old). Was he the greatest? Does somebody have a scouting report on him?
    I am also 21 years old and I have only seen him play through highlights...

Obviously he was one of the all time greats with that kind of average.

Not that this makes a difference, but I am pretty sure his nickname was the lightning bolt or something of that nature...

Interesting question though.

Veteran
    I saw him play and he was pretty darn good. How would he stack up against a Jerry Rice, TO, Randy Moss, players of todays generation is hard to say, but if he was in the upcoming draft I'd take him. Maynard was known as one of the cheapest men in football. He took a $20 bet to jump in the swimming pool with his clothes on at the Gault Ocean Mile Hotel at Super Bowl III. Maynard was allowed to remove his cowboy boots before his dip into the pool.

Rookie
    I'llalway be biased to Wesley Walker who was a great one. i still remember the Jets Phins game in '86 (I think) that the jets won 51-45 - but then I grew up watching him and then him and Toon.

Hall Of Fame

Mr. Cheapskate

He never left a tip but had great hands so who cared. I've seen Ottis taylor in his prime and he caught ever thing. I was an usher at Shea Stadium while going to college and he seemed to catch all these deep balls. Don Maynard and Geoge Sauer of the Jets always seemed to come up big. Joe Willie put up some awesum numbers which have since been surpassed but opened everybodies eyes at the time.
    Good thread.

Waterboy
    That Jets -Phins shootout was the most exciting game I've ever been to. Walker caught that pass just below our seats and the stadium exploded. I know Ken O'Brien is best known as the quarterback selected before Marino - and so I know Jet fans don't give him much credit but was a fine quarterback -strong and accurate (but not very mobile) - there were a number of quarterbacks in that 1983 draft picked before O'Brien who did a lot less Todd Blackledge picked #7 (KC), Tony Eason (NE #15) - of course there was also Elway #1 and Jim Kellyt #11 in that draft and Marino at #27.

Rookie
    I was at that the phins game as well - it ws the loudest I've ever heard the stadium in my life. Was a wild game and still ranks up there as my favorite game that I've ever been to. I had a coupleof phon fans sitting near me and they got abused (in a good way nothing mean) all the way down to the parking lot.

I remember the traffic after the game was vicious - took me at least 2 hours to get back to Staten Island.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFutureGM

Obviously, I was always a big Maynard fan. He was a great deep threat. On the skinny side, but was a tough cowboy who could take anybody's lick and bounce back. Maynard had deceptive speed. He had a long stride. He wasn't super quick off the line, but he gained speed the longer the pattern. Had great hands too.

As far as all-time though, I have to say Alworth. Lance was super fast, could jump like a gazelle, had great hands and instincts and was a very dangerous runner after he made the catch. Double teams could not stop him. Hadl would just throw the ball high and Alworth would leap over everyone, snare the ball and come down running away from the defenders. Alworth was the most graceful athlete I have ever seen.

Hall Of Fame
    Bullet Bob Hayes, 20 YPC for his career.

HIGHEST Average Gain, Career (200 receptions)
    22.26 Homer Jones, N.Y. Giants, 1964-69; Cleveland, 1970 (224-4,986)
    20.83 Buddy Dial, Pittsburgh, 1959-1963; Dallas, 1964-66 (261-5,436)
    20.24 Harlon Hill, Chi. Bears, 1954-1961; Pittsburgh, 1962; Detroit, 1962 (233-4,717)

Jones was probably more of a pure deep threat but overall I'd prefer Maynard or Alworth and lots of other receivers over Jones. Seems like Jones dropped quite a few but he had Bob Hayes like speed. I used to like Otis Taylor and Charlie Taylor a lot too. Colts had a pretty strong pair in Berry and Orr. I don't recall Dial or Hill. I saw the the others I mentioned. What a pleasure it was.

All Pro
    Paul Warfield was a great one too. He actually was pretty much the perfect WR. Jerry Rice with blazing speed. Unfortunately his stats don't reflect it because he was always on running teams (Browns - Jim Brown/LeRoy Kelly and Dolphins - Csonka/Kiick/Morris). And he was a great blocker for those runners.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaynard

Obviously, I was always a big Maynard fan. He was a great deep threat. On the skinny side, but was a tough cowboy who could take anybody's lick and bounce back. Maynard had deceptive speed. He had a long stride. He wasn't super quick off the line, but he gained speed the longer the pattern. Had great hands too.
    Very good analysis.

Maynard was one hell of a WR.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Casualfan
    HIGHEST Average Gain, Career (200 receptions)
    22.26 Homer Jones, N.Y. Giants, 1964-69; Cleveland, 1970 (224-4,986)
    20.83 Buddy Dial, Pittsburgh, 1959-1963; Dallas, 1964-66 (261-5,436)
    20.24 Harlon Hill, Chi. Bears, 1954-1961; Pittsburgh, 1962; Detroit, 1962 (233-4,717)

Jones was probably more of a pure deep threat but overall I'd prefer Maynard or Alworth and lots of other receivers over Jones. Seems like Jones dropped quite a few but he had Bob Hayes like speed. I used to like Otis Taylor and Charlie Taylor a lot too. Colts had a pretty strong pair in Berry and Orr. I don't recall Dial or Hill. I saw the the others I mentioned. What a pleasure it was.
    Homer only played like 5 or 6 years..And like the other Guys you mentioned you can't compare them to Guys that played 10+ years to be fair! Otherwise why not put in a Guy that caught 1 pass for a 70 yd TD and say he avg 70 yds for his career??

Paul Warfield was a great one too. He actually was pretty much the perfect WR. Jerry Rice with blazing speed. Unfortunately his stats don't reflect it because he was always on running teams (Browns - Jim Brown/LeRoy Kelly and Dolphins - Csonka/Kiick/Morris). And he was a great blocker for those runners.
    Oh yeah! He was big time fun to watch and another personal favorite. Bet his YAC stats were pretty strong. He had some moves for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    Homer only played like 5 or 6 years..And like the other Guys you mentioned you can't compare them to Guys that played 10+ years to be fair! Otherwise why not put in a Guy that caught 1 pass for a 70 yd TD and say he avg 70 yds for his career??
    Oh definitely. Funny though. You go to the records section of NFL.com and they do exactly that. They list Highest Average Gain, Season based on 24 or more receptions. They list 3 guys I don't remember and one of them was as recent as 1984. Bobby Duckworth with the Chargers? Another long ball threat in the mold of Hayes and Jones though only for a short spell was Warren Wells with the Raiders.
    Last edited by Casualfan; 02-04-2006 at 07:47 PM.

All Pro
    Another interesting point about Don Maynard was, despite his great speed, he wasn't much of a runner after the catch, like Alworth, Otis Taylor and Warfield. Most of his YAC came on catches were he was already behind the defenders and simply used his speed to take it to the endzone. He didn't have shifty moves and
    because of his slight frame, was easy to bring down. This fact actually makes Maynard's receiving yards that much more impressive. A lot of long pass completions.

I say interesting, because this is another one of the things that made Namath so great. Although Maynard, Saure and Lammons were all great receivers, none of them got a lot of YAC. So when Namath threw for 4,000 yards, HE THREW FOR 4,000 YARDS. There were no Montana 5 yard passes to Rice that Rice turned in to a 70 yard TD.

Veteran
    So when Namath threw for 4,000 yards, HE THREW FOR 4,000 YARDS. There were no Montana 5 yard passes to Rice that Rice turned in to a 70 yard TD.
    Excellent point. Today's QB's do not throw anywhere close to what their stat sheet says. With the rise of the WCO, quarterbacks routinely dump five or ten yard passes off that go for 80 yards.

Another interesting point about Don Maynard was, despite his great speed, he wasn't much of a runner after the catch, like Alworth, Otis Taylor and Warfield. Most of his YAC came on catches were he was already behind the defenders and simply used his speed to take it to the endzone. He didn't have shifty moves and
    because of his slight frame, was easy to bring down. This fact actually makes Maynard's receiving yards that much more impressive. A lot of long pass completions.

I say interesting, because this is another one of the things that made Namath so great. Although Maynard, Saure and Lammons were all great receivers, none of them got a lot of YAC. So when Namath threw for 4,000 yards, HE THREW FOR 4,000 YARDS. There were no Montana 5 yard passes to Rice that Rice turned in to a 70 yard TD.
    That's some good stuff, dmaynard. Pretty much how I remember your namesake too. My memories of Sauer and Lammons are a bit fuzzier but something about Maynard hangs with me. Lots of deep catches and and as you say not a lot of YAC. Reminded me of a wirey framed bronco buster. Gets tossed around, kicked, rolled over in the dust and gets right back up. Looked good with that single bar facemask too.

You brought back some good memories of those Browns teams too. Nelson, Kelly, Warfield and Collins... Remember that Playoff game in the late 60's when the Cowboys absolutely demolished them with Craig Morton at QB? I remember watching that on TV and feeling really bad for the Browns. Just seemed like they deserved a better fate.

Just remembered. It was shortly after that game I was tossing a football around my Grandma's back yard. Ball took a wicked hop off the ground and shattered a glass panel on her back door.
    Last edited by Casualfan; 02-04-2006 at 09:24 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent

As far as all-time though, I have to say Alworth. Lance was super fast, could jump like a gazelle, had great hands and instincts and was a very dangerous runner after he made the catch. Double teams could not stop him. Hadl would just throw the ball high and Alworth would leap over everyone, snare the ball and come down running away from the defenders. Alworth was the most graceful athlete I have ever seen.

You are a perceptive man.

All League
    "Country Don"....was great...But Rich Caster was also a guy who could beat you in a sec. ! He was working from theTE spot a great deal of the time...as a Jet he had 233 receptions -4249 yds- 36TDs -18.2 avg. in 8 seasons...he had 10 tds in 1972...on 39 receptions for 833 yds and a 21.4 avg. He was geat...but both of them had a rather fair QB passing it to them !!!!!

Shodan9999