Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cap Situation Is Not That Bad

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cap Situation Is Not That Bad

Our cap situation is actually better this year then it has been the previous few seasons yet the know nothings in the media keep playing it up that we are in bad shape.

Let me explain. A major reason why some teams seem to be under the cap is because many of their marquis players are free agents. That artificially lowers that cap number. For example, last season we were supposedly 20 million under the cap. Yet somehow we had a major net loss of talent. By the time we finished resigning Chad, Ellis, & JAbe, we had no money left fot LamontJ, Kmac & Ferguson. For all the talk of last seasons good cap shape we lost three top players.

Now to this season. The only major Free Agent on the team is JAbe. Everyone elso of consequence is signed. Thats why out cap looks artificially high. DON'T REALLY NEED TO RESIGN ANYONE.

So how do we make things even better? Well currently we are approximately 26Mill over. Ty Law counts as 11Mill. When he is officially cut we will be 15Mil over. Curtis Martin is scheduled to make 6.2 Mill in base salary. That number will be reduced to the 2 million range. That saves us 4 Million and brings the figure down to 11 Mill over.
    Next, Fabini is scheduled to make 4.5Mill base this season. At best he will be brought back at clost to vet minimum. Assuming he makes 1 mill for next season we save another 3.5 million. Our total is now 7.5 million over.

Next we have Chad. His cap number this season is 12mill. 3million in bonus proration and basically 9 million in base. I would look for Chad to restructure with a contract that reduced his bast to around 3 million. Our new total is 1.5 million over.

So with a few simple and extremely likely moves we are sitting pretty at 1.5million over with basically all of our major players signed. The next step is to let cap whiz Tannanbaum restructure and make some cuts with other less critical players. . Also there are a number of players on the books that won't be here next season. Fiedler is gone. Kendall will probably have to take a paycut. Barton and JMac and Derrick Blaylock also may have to take some cuts. When all is said and done we should easily get to 10-15 million under. There will be plenty of cash to sign FA's and our draft picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with that plan. All they have to do is force every guy on the roster to take a paycut? BRILLIANT! I'm sure they'll be lining up at Mr. T's door to volunteer.

Unlike past years, at the moment teams cannot convert salary to bonus to avoid immediate cap trouble, so your proposed solution is the only viable answer, but how likely is it that any of these guys will accept a direct hit to their bottom line? Some will, but others?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tailgater]Good luck with that plan. All they have to do is force every guy on the roster to take a paycut? BRILLIANT! I'm sure they'll be lining up at Mr. T's door to volunteer.

Unlike past years, at the moment teams cannot convert salary to bonus to avoid immediate cap trouble, so your proposed solution is the only viable answer, but how likely is it that any of these guys will accept a direct hit to their bottom line? Some will, but others?[/QUOTE]

Wrong. It is a definate that Curtis and Chad will restructure and Law will be cut. Fabini has stated he would like to return in a backup role. Those 4 moves get us down to 1.5 mill over. Chrebet retired saving us 1.5 mill and Fiedler will be cut and save a few mill as well. From there we can simply restructure some contracts and easily get to 15 million under.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets are in rebuilding mode
    Any Jet that will not be a viable player come 07 will be let go, restructured or traded. We will sign Vilma long term this offseason or next and phase out others such as D Robot, Barrett, the O-line, etc

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not in to the whole rebuilding thing. Al long as we can get a serviceable QB to compete with Chad we have a chance to make some noise this year. The schedule is so weak this year that it would be a waste not to take advantage of it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    read this thread [url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110439&page=2[/url] you're uninformed. break the actual numbers down, don't just talk in generalities.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're describing a stituation where nearly half the starters have to take a paycut or renegotiate their deals and you're saying we are not in cap trouble!!:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get that half the starters have to take a cut? It's very simple. Fabini is no longer a starter. Chrebet retired. Law is a goner. Chad and Curtis will take paycuts. Thats how it works in football.

The reason the cap looks bad to the unknowledgeable posters is because you dont understand how the cap actually works. Last year everyone said the Jets were in excellent cap shape. Yet last offseason we has a net loss of talent. Thats why were getting all those comp picks. This season there are no significant Free agents to be resigned other then JABE. Everyone else is signed and counted on the cap. Thats why our situation is so good. In all likelhood this offseason, as opposed to last years, wer will have a net influx of talent.

And if anyone thinks its far fetched that Chad and Curtis will take paycuts then you simply don't understand how the business end of football works.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]read this thread [url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110439&page=2[/url] you're uninformed. break the actual numbers down, don't just talk in generalities.[/QUOTE]

The point of that thread was to show that the Jets will need to restructure rather then cut Chad and Curtis. I take that as a given in order to come up with the cap figures in this post. Also that post had Fiedler as 5mill on the cap. I don't believe that to be correct. He also talks about cutting Mawae which I also don't see happening.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It's very simple. To get under the cap, Many current Jets players are going to be let go or going to restructure their deals.

To me none of this is shocking or upsetting. We all should know that this was coming.

Alot of players on The Jets are at the end of their careers and have high price tags. Many are declining as players.

I'm expecting quite a few players to be let go. Unless you want Fiedler back. I don't see why anyone is that stressed and you had to figure for a long time now that The Jets were not going to be very active in the free agent market because of the cap.

Let's see where we stand after all the housecleaning takes place. You knew it was coming. If you didn't... You didn't watch The Jets 2005 4 and 12 season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000]Where did you get that half the starters have to take a cut? It's very simple. Fabini is no longer a starter. Chrebet retired. Law is a goner. Chad and Curtis will take paycuts. Thats how it works in football.

The reason the cap looks bad to the unknowledgeable posters is because you dont understand how the cap actually works. Last year everyone said the Jets were in excellent cap shape. Yet last offseason we has a net loss of talent. Thats why were getting all those comp picks. This season there are no significant Free agents to be resigned other then JABE. Everyone else is signed and counted on the cap. Thats why our situation is so good. In all likelhood this offseason, as opposed to last years, wer will have a net influx of talent.

And if anyone thinks its far fetched that Chad and Curtis will take paycuts then you simply don't understand how the business end of football works.[/QUOTE]

Please, tell us how the 'business end' of football works. You're obviously an insider... :rolleyes:

Tell me, Chief, how many NFL starters took paycuts last year? The year before? The year before that? Good luck in identifying them. If there was more than one or two a year I'd be shocked.

You're obviously confusing restructures with pay cuts. Why would Chad accept a 90% reduction in pay? Cause he's a 'team guy'? Why would Martin, warrior that he's been, accept a 75% pay cut?

And if they do not accept the pay cuts? Would the jets be in cap trouble then?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the OP. On top of things, we were a bad football team last year, which makes making the necessary restructuring and cuts easier than if we were dismantling a superbowl team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tailgater]Please, tell us how the 'business end' of football works. You're obviously an insider... :rolleyes:

Tell me, Chief, how many NFL starters took paycuts last year? The year before? The year before that? Good luck in identifying them. If there was more than one or two a year I'd be shocked.

You're obviously confusing restructures with pay cuts. Why would Chad accept a 90% reduction in pay? Cause he's a 'team guy'? Why would Martin, warrior that he's been, accept a 75% pay cut?

And if they do not accept the pay cuts? Would the jets be in cap trouble then?[/QUOTE]

You're right, a lot of them don't accept pay cuts, they just get released. Than they wait by the phone hoping to get a call and wind up signing for significantly less than they received the year before. So, for example, if Fabini doesn't agree to a paycut, he gets released. Ya think anyone's paying him $4.5 mill next year? Ya think anyones paying Curtis $6+ mill? Ya think anyone's paying Penny $9 mill?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000]The point of that thread was to show that the Jets will need to restructure rather then cut Chad and Curtis. I take that as a given in order to come up with the cap figures in this post. Also that post had Fiedler as 5mill on the cap. I don't believe that to be correct. He also talks about cutting Mawae which I also don't see happening.[/QUOTE]

break down the numbers for me. prove your case.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000]

Wrong. It is a definate that Curtis and Chad will restructure.

[/QUOTE]

I must have missed the press conference announcing this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000]Wrong. It is a definate that Curtis and Chad will restructure and Law will be cut. Fabini has stated he would like to return in a backup role. Those 4 moves get us down to 1.5 mill over. Chrebet retired saving us 1.5 mill and Fiedler will be cut and save a few mill as well. From there we can simply restructure some contracts and easily get to 15 million under.[/QUOTE]
    I hope your right

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX]I must have missed the press conference announcing this.[/QUOTE]

dont think a press conference is needed for restructuring of contracts.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetscc26]dont think a press conference is needed for restructuring of contracts.[/QUOTE]

26, quick, look up, something just went flying over your head.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some real numbers.

We are a projected 26 million over the cap, That # may or may not be right. The #'s that I have in front of me have the Jets only 15 million over the cap. There are some undisclosed RB that I nor anyone has.

Law(3.95), Fiedler (4.75), Fabini (3.2), Chrebet post 6/1 (1.3) are gone.

Savings=13.2 million

We are going to have to spread out Coles' roster bonus into a SB. Coles has a 6.4 million dollar RB, spread that out over 4 years remaining on his deal.

Same with Barton, save 1 million.

Savings=5.8 million

We will need one of Pennington/Martin to take paycuts. I think Martin will end up caving and lower his base salary to the 2 million level for a cap hit of ~4 million

Savings=4 million

Even with all that we still might need to cut Kendall (3.3) in order to sign our rookies and fill out our roster. Good news is once we trade Abe we will regain 8.3 million in cap room.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Too strong, perhaps, but "almost definite" would be fair, I think...

[I]Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiefst2000

Wrong. It is a definate that Curtis and Chad will restructure.

I must have missed the press conference announcing this.[/I]

If the poster had said "it is definite that Curtis and Chad will be expected to restructure by the Jets FO" he would be absolutely correct. Chad has already been presented with the beginning point of negotiations, and Curtis has already indicated he is prepared to step back to a lesser role - meaning to me that he recognizes he cannot be a full-time, full-season back at this stage. How could he not restructure if his role is voluntarily reduced? The scenario presented seems to me to be perfectly plausible and likely to occur...