Thread: Wagner and Sabathia out of WBC

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Wagner and Sabathia out of WBC

PHOENIX -- New York Mets closer Billy Wagner and Cleveland pitcher C.C. Sabathia withdrew Wednesday from the U.S. roster for the World Baseball Classic and were replaced by Washington right-hander Gary Majewski and Yankees left-hander Al Leiter.
    From ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2006/news/story?id=2349899

As a Mets fan I like it. If Wagner's not ready, he doesn't have to go into battle for this silly exhibition tourney, held at a ridiculous time.

He can take his time during spring training, and build repore w/ Lo Duca (i dont' think he's playing)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's good news that Wagner wont play. Asking him to throw his hardest so early into spring is not a good idea and I had such a feeling he would've injured himself in the WBC. Also, how many Mets are playing definitely now?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was relieved to hear that today. All we needed was for this guy to blow out his elbow or hurt his shoulder playing in some exhibition game. Now if only we could find a way to get Beltran and Delgado out of playing in the WBC.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    It's good news that Wagner wont play. Asking him to throw his hardest so early into spring is not a good idea and I had such a feeling he would've injured himself in the WBC. Also, how many Mets are playing definitely now?
    I think it's 4 or 5. Delgado and Beltran and definitely playing for Puerto Rico...and I believe that Reyes may be part of that team also. David Wright is Chipper Jones' backup on the US team...and Pedro hasn't made up his mind one way or another if he's pitching for the Domincan team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just like I was happy when Mo decided not to participate in the WBC, I'm sure all Mets fans are quite happy that Wagner is not participating in it. The whole thing is idiotic and should be played in November anyways.

KingofQueens, Pedro is out of the WBC too. He said that he's not in good enough shape to play in it after recoving from his foot injury.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofqueens718
    I think it's 4 or 5. Delgado and Beltran and definitely playing for Puerto Rico...and I believe that Reyes may be part of that team also. David Wright is Chipper Jones' backup on the US team...and Pedro hasn't made up his mind one way or another if he's pitching for the Domincan team.
    Can't forget Mr. Koo playing for Korea!!!! LOL