Thread: St. Patricks Day Partying

Board Moderator

St. Patricks Day Partying

It's on a Friday this year. I imagine the partying is going to be more out of control than usual.

So -- anybody have fun plans/places to party at on St. Patrick's Day??

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

McSorley's opens the doors @ 8AM. See you there.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I gotta throw this out there because it bugs me. I've been to McSorley's twice and I guess I'm missing the whole point. Everyone who ever mentions the place treats it like Lourdes because of its age and related "ambience". Frankly, the times I was there I couldn't wait to leave, and trust me: I've hung out in [U]LOTS[/U] of bars in my lifetime.

To each his own, but I've often wondered about the McSorley's attraction. Having said that, there's lots of nice Irish watering holes in the same general area that I frequent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I've been to all those other Irish bars and none holds a candle to McSorley's. The sawdust on the floor, the constant chink of glassware as more rounds are poured and empties recovered, the cheese and onions plates, fish and chips on fridays, or steak sandwiches on sundays, the pictures on the wall. I've been going there for a long time, and they still remember me. One year I arrived a bit late and encountered a line. They pulled me right out of line and sent me through those blessed doors. Last year I went to their annual St. Patrick's Day In July BBQ at Monmouth Park. For $30 all the beer, food and ferry ride was free. They even had a race named after them and the bartender presented the trophy to the winner.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That's cool. It's a great feeling to be treated special, no matter which bar it's at. Now that you mention it, I remember being curious about those cheese and onion plates that so many at McSorley's were having. Can't recall ever seeing that offering at any other bar.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Fifth Avenue, NYC 11am. :thumbup:

Afterward we have been settling in at the Big City Bar and Grill on 90th and Third.

Not particulaly Irish but it is big enough for an entire pipe band and it is relatively close to the end of the parade (which ends at 86th street).

Later we play at a bar to be determined, usually downtown. Determined by the schedule of a friend of the band who works for Heinekin USA and visits about 10 pubs that day. We meet him at the last one.

Two years ago it was Mustang Harry's, near Penn Station (was OK but not great)

Last year I thought it was The Black Orchid on 33rd street. But I don't see a listing for that. Based on my hazy memory, it was outstanding...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I've been at Big City, and it is indeed a spacious place. Good choice. Mustang Harry's, on the other hand, is too cramped for my tastes, and that's just on a normal day. The aisle between the bar seats and the booths right behind is just too narrow.

I wish I could sneak out of work to catch the parade. Piper: What company/school/organization do you represent in the Parade?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1]I've been at Big City, and it is indeed a spacious place. Good choice. Mustang Harry's, on the other hand, is too cramped for my tastes, and that's just on a normal day. The aisle between the bar seats and the booths right behind is just too narrow.

I wish I could sneak out of work to catch the parade. Piper: What company/school/organization do you represent in the Parade?[/QUOTE]

You can see the name of my band in my sig, along with a link to the website.

We march for the Veterans corps of the Fighting 69th, right in the front of the parade.
    Step off at 11am SHARP(it is the Army after all)
    Done marching by about 12:15.
    At the Big City by 1:30.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Well tomorrow's the big one. Bought the NY Post this morning and saw us listed in the official line of march.

Have fun everyone!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1]That's cool. It's a great feeling to be treated special, no matter which bar it's at. Now that you mention it, I remember being curious about those cheese and onion plates that so many at McSorley's were having. Can't recall ever seeing that offering at any other bar.[/QUOTE]Never found a better tasting onion. First beer's on me. Slainte everyone.