Thread: What should Bonds do to minimize P.R. Hit?

All Pro

What should Bonds do to minimize P.R. Hit?

I'll start by saying that I hate Bonds and everything that he stands for. But if you were his advisor, would you tell him to come clean and ask for the forgiveness of baseball fans (unlikely given his personality), or tell him to just ignore it and hope it goes away.

I suspect that he will never address it directly, much less apologize, but if he doesn't, isn't there a risk that baseball will more or less ignore his coming records?

Jets Insider VIP
    retire and move to china

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Take a shot of Winstrol right in the as* live on ESPN...

Theres a whole long thread on this

it's obvious.

blame it on bush.

Hall Of Fame
    If he's innocent like he says he is, he should sue the authors for slander. That would be the logical move for an innocent person in his position and would lend his denials credibility.

But, obviously, he's not innocent so he is not going to sue. He'll talk defiantly about never failing a drug test, even though they didn't test until 2003 and got tougher in 2004 (a year in which he was conveniently hurt). He'll also say that people are trying to ruin him blah blah blah. Then he'll talk in vague platitudes about focusing on playing and winning a WS title and all.

Short of suing the authors for slander, there's really nothing he can do to minimize the PR hit. I agree that coming clean and admitting everything may help - Lord knows Americans love celebrities who confess wrongdoing - but nothing in Bond's past behavior indicates that that is an option he takes seriously at all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets
    blame it on bush.
    or maybe cheney accidentally shot the steroids into bonds' behind

it's obviously the criminally liberal medias fault.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jets5ever
    If he's innocent like he says he is, he should sue the authors for slander. That would be the logical move for an innocent person in his position and would lend his denials credibility.

But, obviously, he's not innocent so he is not going to sue. He'll talk defiantly about never failing a drug test, even though they didn't test until 2003 and got tougher in 2004 (a year in which he was conveniently hurt). He'll also say that people are trying to ruin him blah blah blah. Then he'll talk in vague platitudes about focusing on playing and winning a WS title and all.

Short of suing the authors for slander, there's really nothing he can do to minimize the PR hit. I agree that coming clean and admitting everything may help - Lord knows Americans love celebrities who confess wrongdoing - but nothing in Bond's past behavior indicates that that is an option he takes seriously at all.

Better yet, he could do what Sheffield did last spring. Go on the air and swear to take a test live, on TV.

Knowing fully that the MLBPA would shoot it down in a second. Then say, "not my fault, I wanted to prove it to you"

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan
    I'll start by saying that I hate Bonds and everything that he stands for. But if you were his advisor, would you tell him to come clean and ask for the forgiveness of baseball fans (unlikely given his personality), or tell him to just ignore it and hope it goes away.

I suspect that he will never address it directly, much less apologize, but if he doesn't, isn't there a risk that baseball will more or less ignore his coming records?

He should retire and never show his face around baseball again.

Jets Insider VIP

Use the Herman Edwards stradegy

Use the Herman Edwards stradegy ie., "What happens in SF, stays in SF".

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan

Quit and never be seen from again. If there is any doubt this clown took steroids, then the person with that doubt needs to spend some time on the short bus. The guy is a cheater, along with Sosa and McGwire and they should just all be banned. I know it is tough to have exact proof, but it is pretty obvious for all 3.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets
    blame it on bush.
    Why not. He gets blamed for everything else.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CantBelieveIStillLoveThem
    or maybe cheney accidentally shot the steroids into bonds' behind
    It is Bush's fault I have hemmerhoids.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by j-rome
    it's obviously the criminally liberal medias fault.
    Yeah, because they never use fraudulent paperwork to try and hurt someone.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Use the Herman Edwards stradegy ie., "What happens in SF, stays in SF".
    Or the Tom Brady strategy, "Whatever happens to my a$$ stays in my a$$.