Thread: To get better NOW, ya gotta gamble

All League

To get better NOW, ya gotta gamble

Thinking about what it would take to get good NOW. I think the only current option is this years draft. Here is what we could do.

If the team thinks as highly of Schaub as many then take the deal. Schaub and the Falcon third for ABe/ no its not enough and you certainly try to get more , but it could be the best way for our team to deal with the QB situation.

I would then approach the Broncos about acquiring their two first, which they are reportedly trying to trade for early picks next year when they have more cap room. see if they are willing to take our first rounder next year with the provision that it isnt in the top 5.

If this was possible we would have SO MANY picks this year that we would be able to draft whoever we want, we would also likely be able to trade out of some spots to get some picks back for the 07 draft.

Now I would make a lo-ball offer to the Texans, thinking they would rather take something for the pick and be real happy to still be picking 3 players later. If you go to 1 you take Bush, NO QUESTION. Now you have your Franchise QB and your franchise RB.

If the Texans dont agree to a Jet frindly trade then you see what you can get to move down with the 4 pick, try to stay in the top 11, and depending where you land be happy to take Lendale/Davis/ Nagata/DeAngelo W

If your not happy with the offers to trade down you have to chose between DBrick and Mario, might not have much choice as both could go befor the 4 pick.

Then you would have the 22nd 29th and the 35th pick and I think there are going to be some excellent values particularly in that range, with many of those values being positions we need to fill, RB/OT/C/ maybe even WR or LBer.

While I am not a big fan of trading away furture picks (especially 1st rounders), I can see this making the Jets a good team much faster, should make us very competitive this year and could make us real contenders as soon as next year, Plus we would have guys locked down for half a decade.

Also dont forget how valuable it would be to have three(Jordan) third rounders and two fourth rounders to wheel and deal with.

Dont forget Mangini didnt get a long contract , I think he will want to make a splash and a mark immediately. Ofcourse the Cap has to be taken into consideration but with Abe gone we would have more then enough room this year and I would love to see the team try to hoard away about 4mil in unreachable ST incentives that can be added to next years salary cap.

All League
    You mods have become idiots, this topic has Far more to do with What the team should do to get better and why, while my opinion is that this years draft is the best way other may have taken the thead in a completely different direction.

You really are ruining the site. This smacks of the type of common sense that Jet fans are used to over the last five seasons of KCKotite, so I'm sure many will have a "so what" attitude to it.

Fascinating. You left out the part where monkeys fly out of your butt, however.

In principle I like some of your ideas but I don't think Denver would go for that deal with any kind of stipulation of not top 5 next year. As it is the 22 and 29 draft point wise is worth about a 7th overall pick in an average year. this year is exceptional and their picks are worth more.

Sounds like the team likes Schaub but I would not deep six the value of Abraham to get him. There are other options this year and next for QB's

Jets Insider VIP

Get good now

I can't get past the get good now comment.

I don't think Schaub gets us good now. Pennington will most likely start and depth is why we are getting a FA QB.

I'm not sure Denver is willing to part with both !st rounders. Only one as far as I know.

To get better now, we need to fortify the OL. Protect the QB no matter who it is; that being said, I'd take Vernon Davis, because of his immediate offensive skills he brings to the Jets and his excellent blocking ability.

Pickuo Mangold at center, if possible. We need an OT which could come from the draft as there are about 5 good ones there. After that improve any defensive holes we have.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commissioner
    Thinking about what it would take to get good NOW. I think the only current option is this years draft. Here is what we could do.

If the team thinks as highly of Schaub as many then take the deal. Schaub and the Falcon third for ABe/ no its not enough and you certainly try to get more , but it could be the best way for our team to deal with the QB situation.

I would then approach the Broncos about acquiring their two first, which they are reportedly trying to trade for early picks next year when they have more cap room. see if they are willing to take our first rounder next year with the provision that it isnt in the top 5.

If this was possible we would have SO MANY picks this year that we would be able to draft whoever we want, we would also likely be able to trade out of some spots to get some picks back for the 07 draft.

Now I would make a lo-ball offer to the Texans, thinking they would rather take something for the pick and be real happy to still be picking 3 players later. If you go to 1 you take Bush, NO QUESTION. Now you have your Franchise QB and your franchise RB.

If the Texans dont agree to a Jet frindly trade then you see what you can get to move down with the 4 pick, try to stay in the top 11, and depending where you land be happy to take Lendale/Davis/ Nagata/DeAngelo W

If your not happy with the offers to trade down you have to chose between DBrick and Mario, might not have much choice as both could go befor the 4 pick.

Then you would have the 22nd 29th and the 35th pick and I think there are going to be some excellent values particularly in that range, with many of those values being positions we need to fill, RB/OT/C/ maybe even WR or LBer.

While I am not a big fan of trading away furture picks (especially 1st rounders), I can see this making the Jets a good team much faster, should make us very competitive this year and could make us real contenders as soon as next year, Plus we would have guys locked down for half a decade.

Also dont forget how valuable it would be to have three(Jordan) third rounders and two fourth rounders to wheel and deal with.

Dont forget Mangini didnt get a long contract , I think he will want to make a splash and a mark immediately. Ofcourse the Cap has to be taken into consideration but with Abe gone we would have more then enough room this year and I would love to see the team try to hoard away about 4mil in unreachable ST incentives that can be added to next years salary cap.
    Dude your talking about 4 picks in the first 35. Get with reality, this isn't fantasy football or a Madden game, unless your an expansion team, your not absorbing all those 1st round contracts. This thread doesn't even belong in the Draft section, it belongs in the dump.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch
    Fascinating. You left out the part where monkeys fly out of your butt, however.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Dude your talking about 4 picks in the first 35. Get with reality, this isn't fantasy football or a Madden game, unless your an expansion team, your not absorbing all those 1st round contracts. This thread doesn't even belong in the Draft section, it belongs in the dump.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I agree

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    She-Gurl, there was a team that signed 4 in the first 28. Who were they?

Too bad we can't get that capologist. That would be something.

<deleted insult>