Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The saga of Alfonso Soriano

The saga of Alfonso Soriano

I feel really bad for Soriano. He is getting totally screwed by the Nationals. He is a 2B and shouldn't be forced to all of the sudden go to the outfield. He didn't do it with the Yankees and that would have been the place he would have changed positions if he really wanted.

Boo hoo he is making 10 million dollars this year, he is a prima donna and wants out because his #'s in that park will be Mike Cameron esque.

Come on, you know damn well if just doesn't want to play the OF. He refused to do it with the Yankees.

All Pro
    Personally, I think he will be traded to the Cubs before opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2
    Come on, you know damn well if just doesn't want to play the OF. He refused to do it with the Yankees.
    Do what your team tells you to do, they are the ones paying him 10 million.

Chipper Jones maybe gave up a HOF spot when he moved to the OF so the Braves could sign Vinny Castilla, that is a classy move, Soriano is being a prima donna.

All League
    Im sure he has tons of $100 dollar bills to wipe away his tears...

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Personally, I think he will be traded to the Cubs before opening day.
    I think we see a Diaz/Bannister for Soriano before opening day for the Mets. Cubs have Todd Walker he is a better option than Soriano.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    I think we see a Diaz/Bannister for Soriano before opening day for the Mets. Cubs have Todd Walker he is a better option than Soriano.
    True, I dont know how much I would like it because scouts have raved about Bannister this spring and some felt hed be a solid 5 now to move Heilman back into the pen. Id like to save Diaz or Bannister as chips for a potential deal for Barry Zito midseason (assuming the A's fall out or fail to sign him long term). Then again, Zito can be had this offseason without giving up Milledge so I will just trust Minayas free wheeling judgement.

True, I dont know how much I would like it because scouts have raved about Bannister this spring and some felt hed be a solid 5 now to move Heilman back into the pen. Id like to save Diaz or Bannister as chips for a potential deal for Barry Zito midseason (assuming the A's fall out or fail to sign him long term). Then again, Zito can be had this offseason without giving up Milledge so I will just trust Minayas free wheeling judgement.
    Diaz just doesnt fit with Milledge and Nady in the fold and I dont see him being more than a 4th OF anyway. Diaz is a guy that will put up 25/90 on a bad team.

Bannister's value has never been higher, I don't want to give him up maybe we could see Zambrano being dealt and Bannister sliding into the rotation.

I dont see the A's trading Zito they intend on contending this year and they should be a 90-95 win team.

Washington HAS to trade Sori, we shouldnt have to pay that much anyway.

All Pro
    Diaz just doesnt fit with Milledge and Nady in the fold and I dont see him being more than a 4th OF anyway. Diaz is a guy that will put up 25/90 on a bad team.

Bannister's value has never been higher, I don't want to give him up maybe we could see Zambrano being dealt and Bannister sliding into the rotation.

I dont see the A's trading Zito they intend on contending this year and they should be a 90-95 win team.

Washington HAS to trade Sori, we shouldnt have to pay that much anyway.
    What kind of numbers do you think Soriano would put up for the Mets and where would you bat him?

What kind of numbers do you think Soriano would put up for the Mets and where would you bat him?
    .270 25 HR's 95 RBI .315 OBP .470 SLG 25 SSB

Reyes
    Beltran
    Wright
    Delgado
    Soriano
    Floyd
    Nady
    Lo Duca

All Pro

Reyes
    Beltran
    Wright
    Delgado
    Soriano
    Floyd
    Nady
    Lo Duca
    I agree with the homerun total and feel the average would be around the 260 to 270 mark. I wish Willie would bat Beltran as the 2, I just dont see him as a consistent power threat at 3. Willie has said that he wants to put Lo Duca as the 2 a few weeks back. Maybe getting Sori could change that.

I agree with the homerun total and feel the average would be around the 260 to 270 mark. I wish Willie would bat Beltran as the 2, I just dont see him as a consistent power threat at 3. Willie has said that he wants to put Lo Duca as the 2 a few weeks back. Maybe getting Sori could change that.
    You don't by any chance hate Steve Trachel with a passion?

All Pro
    nope why

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2
    Firstly, he said that the Yankees were the only team he would consider doing it for.

But lets get to the point here. He's getting screwed by the Nationals? Are you kidding me? His boss is telling him to play a differnet position and he refuses - being paid $10 million this year might I add - and it's his bosses fault? Jesus Christ.

Maybe if the guy was not the worse, by far, defensive second baseman in the league, he wouldn't be asked to switch positions but the fact is he is the worst defensive second baseman in the league. Unless he plays LF like Manny Ramirez, he will be better defensively there than he is at 2B.

IMO, the guy is being a complete pr*ck - and this is coming from a Yankee fan that likes Soriano. But how can you defend this? The team already has a second basema, who is much better defensively than you are and needs a LFer... I guess there is an "I" in team... What an as*hole.

Reyes
    Beltran
    Wright
    Delgado
    Soriano
    Floyd
    Nady
    Lo Duca
    Can you please explain to me why you would bat Reyes leadoff? Can anyone please explain to me why they would bat Reyes leadoff? He literally is the worst possibly person in that lineup that you could have in the leadoff position.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Firstly, he said that the Yankees were the only team he would consider doing it for.

But lets get to the point here. He's getting screwed by the Nationals? Are you kidding me? His boss is telling him to play a differnet position and he refuses - being paid $10 million this year might I add - and it's his bosses fault? Jesus Christ.

Maybe if the guy was not the worse, by far, defensive second baseman in the league, he wouldn't be asked to switch positions but the fact is he is the worst defensive second baseman in the league. Unless he plays LF like Manny Ramirez, he will be better defensively there than he is at 2B.

IMO, the guy is being a complete pr*ck - and this is coming from a Yankee fan that likes Soriano. But how can you defend this? The team already has a second basema, who is much better defensively than you are and needs a LFer... I guess there is an "I" in team... What an as*hole.
    Soriano has already previously stated that he does not want to move to the OF becuase there is more of a market for a 2B with his power as compared to an outfielder. He's just about the $.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Can you please explain to me why you would bat Reyes leadoff? Can anyone please explain to me why they would bat Reyes leadoff? He literally is the worst possibly person in that lineup that you could have in the leadoff position.
    It doesn't matter what I think, he is going to lead off.

Anyway, Reyes had a .330 OBP in the 2nd half and last year scored almost 50% of the time he got on base.

I think Lo Duca is a much worse candidate to bat leadoff.

has anyone gotten around to teaching this guy about the concept of a strike zone?

Soriano didn't want to move to the OF as a Yankee. He didn't want to move to the OF as a Ranger. The Nationals knew this, if they already have Vidro, and are in need of an OF, why would they trade for Soriano??? The deal made no sense to me in the first place. The first thing I thought of when this trade went down was, "great, now the mets can get Vidro since the Nats don't need him"

Do I agree with what Soriano did last night, no. But the Nationals knew he wasn't going to move to the OF before they got him, and yet they still traded for him. He wouldn't move for a good team, why would he do it for a bad team?

He is in the last year of his contract. If he goes to LF and is absolutely pathetic, who will offer him a contract next year? If he stays at 2B, and puts up the same #'s he usually does, it's another $10 million dollar pay-day, regardless of his defense at 2B.

Bottom line is both sides are at fault on this, but I lean more towards the Nationals since they knew what they were getting themselves into before they agreed to trade for him.