Thread: Input on fantasy Team: Should I trade for a RP?

TMahoney

Input on fantasy Team: Should I trade for a RP?

Heres my lineup:

C Lo Duca
    1B/OF Berkman
    2B Iguchi
    3B Mora
    SS Tejada
    OF Manny
    OF Sheffield
    OF Matsui
    UTIL Torri Hunter
    Hillenbrand
    Preston Wilson
    Kaz Matsui
    Lowell

SP Randy Johnson
    SP Mark Beuhrle
    RP Gagne
    RP Scott Shields/ Heilman
    P Kazmir
    P Hudson
    P Zito
    Farnesworth
    Seo
    Arroyo
    Zambrano (mets)

Its a H2H dynasty Yahoo league, 12 teams. I don't care about age, I just wanted some input to see if I should just let these guys play or trade Berkman for a closer.

Lemi know what you think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if you should trade a guy as good as Berkman for a closer, but it would definitely be good for you to get another closer.

I would think about going the cheaper route - guys like Chad Orvella of the DRays or Chris Ray of the Orioles. Even Mike Gonzalez of the Pirates will get you some saves. Also, word is out that the White Sox closer Bobby Jenks has lost 10 MPH on his fastball which means that if he is not effective, Dustin Hermanson could take over as their closer. Maybe you should pick him up for your bench just in case. Same goes with Mike Timlin if Foulke isn't getting the job done as the closer. If either of those guys are available, I would pick them up and release Arroyo. He's moving to the best HR park in the league and his K/9 and K/BB went way down from 2004 to 2005, meaning that if it stays at it's 2005 level, he's going to have some problems. He was also getting killed in ST.

TMahoney
    Thanks, What do you think about my team?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you've got a good team there.

Lo Duca isn't a great offensive catcher, but there aren't many of catchers that are. He should score a pretty good amount of runs batting 2nd in the Met lineup. Brian McCann of the Braves would be a good pickup at catcher if he's still available and you could put him on the bench and see which of the two do better.

You've got a great outfield too. My guess is you'll struggle with the SB's but that's fine. I think you could probably pick up someone better than Kaz Matsui also.

I like the starting pitching a lot too. All those guys are real good and my guess is you got Scott Kazmir pretty late and I see him having a big season. All in all, very good team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my team in a 12 team fantasy league:

C: Jorge Posada
    1B: Derek Lee
    2B: Taduhito Iguchi
    SS: Rafael Furcal
    3B: Miguel Cabrera
    OF: Johnny Damon
    OF: Brian Giles
    OF: Coco Crisp
    OF: Jason Lane
    UT: Justin Morneau
    UT: Bobby Crosby
    Bench: Mike Cameron and Dan Johnson

SP: Randy Johnson
    SP: John Patterson
    SP: Matt Cain
    SP: Scott Kazmir
    SP: Odalis Perez
    SP: Greg Maddux
    RP: Billy Wagner
    RP: Chad Orvella
    P: Mike Timlin
    Bench: Roger Clemens (I hope he doesn't retire)
    Bench: Brandon McCarthy
    Bench: Ted Lilly

I like my offense but I'm concerned with the pitching. I need Roger to come back... I just missed out on the likes of Chris Young and Chien-Ming Wang in the late rounds and had to get Odalis Perez and Greg Maddux instead. I definitely need Cain to have a big time rookie year and Kazmir to have a real good season.

TMahoney
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Here's my team in a 12 team fantasy league:

C: Jorge Posada
    1B: Derek Lee
    2B: Taduhito Iguchi
    SS: Rafael Furcal
    3B: Miguel Cabrera
    OF: Johnny Damon
    OF: Brian Giles
    OF: Coco Crisp
    OF: Jason Lane
    UT: Justin Morneau
    UT: Bobby Crosby
    Bench: Mike Cameron and Dan Johnson

SP: Randy Johnson
    SP: John Patterson
    SP: Matt Cain
    SP: Scott Kazmir
    SP: Odalis Perez
    SP: Greg Maddux
    RP: Billy Wagner
    RP: Chad Orvella
    P: Mike Timlin
    Bench: Roger Clemens (I hope he doesn't retire)
    Bench: Brandon McCarthy
    Bench: Ted Lilly

I like my offense but I'm concerned with the pitching. I need Roger to come back... I just missed out on the likes of Chris Young and Chien-Ming Wang in the late rounds and had to get Odalis Perez and Greg Maddux instead. I definitely need Cain to have a big time rookie year and Kazmir to have a real good season.
    Kazmir has 200K potential, but he's still young. I hope its this year too.

As for your lineup, its good, very balanced.

Clemens is a crap shoot, but I expect him to come back, he won't be able to sit home knowing that he can dominate, he's too competitive.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I like your team

I think John Patterson will be huge this year as well If he get run support

I have him on three teams

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I don't know if you should trade a guy as good as Berkman for a closer, but it would definitely be good for you to get another closer.

I would think about going the cheaper route - guys like Chad Orvella of the DRays or Chris Ray of the Orioles. Even Mike Gonzalez of the Pirates will get you some saves. Also, word is out that the White Sox closer Bobby Jenks has lost 10 MPH on his fastball which means that if he is not effective, Dustin Hermanson could take over as their closer. Maybe you should pick him up for your bench just in case. Same goes with Mike Timlin if Foulke isn't getting the job done as the closer. If either of those guys are available, I would pick them up and release Arroyo. He's moving to the best HR park in the league and his K/9 and K/BB went way down from 2004 to 2005, meaning that if it stays at it's 2005 level, he's going to have some problems. He was also getting killed in ST.

In Chicago, it looks more like Neil Cotts would get the job. Either way, tough to pick a closer from them because Guillen likes to mix it up with his relief pitchers, so odds are you probably won't be able to nab a forty or even thirty save guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't trade for a closer unless you're able to shift Hillenbrand and Kaz in the deal. There are ALWAYS closers on the wire.

Is Orvella out there?
    I'd pick up Baez to backup Gagne
    Is Hansen available? Red Sox closer of the future and could be the man by the break.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You wouldn't want to waste a roster space on Hansen as of now. I'd go with Timlin, who could get a lot of save opportunities if Foulke sucks.