Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 117

Thread: OT: Beltran's Response To Being Booed

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Your Mind
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like

    OT: Beltran's Response To Being Booed

    http://media.putfile.com/beltran-speaks

    For those that dont know the story. Beltran had been booed the first 2 games and for half of this 3rd game because he had went hitless. He hit a HR in the middle of the game and was reluctant to take the curtain call.

    I wannna say props to Beltran. Anybody that boos a player on their own team in the OPENING series, deserves to be smacked upside the head. Totally classless and you make the fanbase look like idiots.

    Beltran handles it well.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    brooklyn,ny
    Posts
    1,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Infamous One
    http://media.putfile.com/beltran-speaks

    For those that dont know the story. Beltran had been booed the first 2 games and for half of this 3rd game because he had went hitless. He hit a HR in the middle of the game and was reluctant to take the curtain call.

    I wannna say props to Beltran. Anybody that boos a player on their own team in the OPENING series, deserves to be smacked upside the head. Totally classless and you make the fanbase look like idiots.

    Beltran handles it well.
    his real response was waaaaaaaaa waaaaaaa...little cry baby..pay me the money hes getting and you could boo me everyday of my life...makes me sick some of these athletes.....

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Your Mind
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adione718
    his real response was waaaaaaaaa waaaaaaa...little cry baby..pay me the money hes getting and you could boo me everyday of my life...makes me sick some of these athletes.....

    Its not the point man. This isnt some arrogant *******. Booing your own players at home in the opening series is pathetic.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,119
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate the Mets, but every player in the league will go 10 AB's without getting a hit. Just cause Beltran started out that way doesn't mean he deserves to get booed.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,504
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beltran ended last season that way. In fact, he was hitless for most of last season. Now, he continues his hitless, non-producing ways so far this season. He was producing nicely on the Puerto Rican team before the season and now he goes hitless when it counts.

    I'm a diehard Mets fan and have been one for 20 years. I say boo him all you want until he lives up to his billing. If you want to play in NY, you better produce. Otherwise you will most defintely be deservedly booed. If you don't like it, then start hitting the damn ball and do what your being paid to do.

    With all of this being said, let me say that Beltran should not have been booed this early in the season. I think the majority of Mets fans are expecting huge things this season and that Beltran started letting ppl down early, but to boo during the home opener and the opening series is quite classless. Beltran has handled the situation with a cool head and a huge amount of class, for which he should be congratulated.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 04-07-2006 at 01:45 AM.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beltran had a rough opening season with the Mets as many expected him to. To be fair to him, not only was it his first year in NY (and you usually expect a bit of a downfall in that situation) but he was fighting an injury for most of the season.

    The thing with Beltran is that he is a sensitive guy and he doesn't seem to want to be "The guy." Now, when he took those $119 million, he has to take responsibility and be the guy, but I think Met fans shouldn't have really expected that.

    Booing the guy will just hurt him more. The best thing Met fans should do is embrace him, as that will probably let him loosen up and he'll play better.

    Personally, I thought this was a stupid signing by the Mets last year. The reason was not because of his talent, but rather because his best quality is being a very good hitter that plays CF. The Mets not only did not need a CFer because you guys already had Cameron, but you also have a great prospect that should be ready in 2007 (when Cameron's contract is over) to step in and play CF. So, instead of spending a ton of money on getting a very good hitter for a CFer, you should have gone for a corner outfielder who has a good bat. It would have been cheaper and made more sense.

    I was also bitter about this last year because as a Yankee fan, I wanted Beltran more than any other person in that offseason. I felt, and still feel, that Beltran would have helped the team more than RJ or anyone else we could have gotten because he provided us with our biggest need - a CFer. Last year, we didn't have that and it killed us. I mean, look at game 5 of the ALDS when Bubba and Sheff collided with each other costing us 2 runs - the amount of runs we lost by. Had Beltran been in CF all year, there would have been no collision and who knows. And now, we overpaid both in money and years for the 32 year old Damon... I'm still pissed we didn't get Beltran even though he struggled last year.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like
    He handled the curtain call badly. If he hadn't been pushed to come out by Franco he would've done nothing but give the fans another reason to boo him.

    Now I don't think the booing has been warrented this season, but Beltran has to stop being so sensitive and just suck it up and perform....and once he does the booing will stop. I wish he could talk to Piazza and hear about the crap that Piazza had to go through in 98'.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,842
    Post Thanks / Like

    beltran

    Who ever is knocking on Beltran or booing him should just go jump in hole. Dude had a little slump and you booed him. Julio Franco had to go and make him take the curtain call, thank god for him. The fans didn't even boo Anderson Hernandez who is yet to have a hit, they can realize he's seriously trying.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just glad Franco pushed him to come out. If Beltran stayed on the bench, it could have made for an even uglier situation.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's going to be tough today listening to the "wounded" Mets fans on the radio. I understand being harsh on the guy, even booing him early in the season for failing in clutch spots. But fans boo him when he swings and misses to make the count 1-2. That's just stupid.

    Beltran had a right to give a half-assed curtain call. But he should be smart about it. You have 6 years left on a huge deal, you're not going anywhere. The Mets aren't trading you, and no team is taking that contract. Why make your relationship with the fans any worse ? You're here to stay. Better get used to these fans. I know they've been unfair, but you're only hurting yourself here.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    Beltran ended last season that way. In fact, he was hitless for most of last season. Now, he continues his hitless, non-producing ways so far this season. He was producing nicely on the Puerto Rican team before the season and now he goes hitless when it counts.

    I'm a diehard Mets fan and have been one for 20 years. I say boo him all you want until he lives up to his billing. If you want to play in NY, you better produce. Otherwise you will most defintely be deservedly booed. If you don't like it, then start hitting the damn ball and do what your being paid to do.

    With all of this being said, let me say that Beltran should not have been booed this early in the season. I think the majority of Mets fans are expecting huge things this season and that Beltran started letting ppl down early, but to boo during the home opener and the opening series is quite classless. Beltran has handled the situation with a cool head and a huge amount of class, for which he should be congratulated.

    You're not very bright. First of all, Beltran was hurt last year. That being said, it wasn't a Beltran-type year and I expect him to play better.

    Second, it's way too early to boo for this season.

    Third, you only boo people who aren't hustling. Booing those who are trying their best is pointless and downright idiotic. All it's going to do is hurt him. If you'd rather boo than root for Beltran, you're not a real Mets fan because you're hurting the team.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    172
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just play ball, cash the multi million yearly check...and by the way isn't this a football sight.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Beltran had a rough opening season with the Mets as many expected him to. To be fair to him, not only was it his first year in NY (and you usually expect a bit of a downfall in that situation) but he was fighting an injury for most of the season.

    The thing with Beltran is that he is a sensitive guy and he doesn't seem to want to be "The guy." Now, when he took those $119 million, he has to take responsibility and be the guy, but I think Met fans shouldn't have really expected that.

    Booing the guy will just hurt him more. The best thing Met fans should do is embrace him, as that will probably let him loosen up and he'll play better.

    Personally, I thought this was a stupid signing by the Mets last year. The reason was not because of his talent, but rather because his best quality is being a very good hitter that plays CF. The Mets not only did not need a CFer because you guys already had Cameron, but you also have a great prospect that should be ready in 2007 (when Cameron's contract is over) to step in and play CF. So, instead of spending a ton of money on getting a very good hitter for a CFer, you should have gone for a corner outfielder who has a good bat. It would have been cheaper and made more sense.

    I was also bitter about this last year because as a Yankee fan, I wanted Beltran more than any other person in that offseason. I felt, and still feel, that Beltran would have helped the team more than RJ or anyone else we could have gotten because he provided us with our biggest need - a CFer. Last year, we didn't have that and it killed us. I mean, look at game 5 of the ALDS when Bubba and Sheff collided with each other costing us 2 runs - the amount of runs we lost by. Had Beltran been in CF all year, there would have been no collision and who knows. And now, we overpaid both in money and years for the 32 year old Damon... I'm still pissed we didn't get Beltran even though he struggled last year.

    To be fair, the Mets got a pretty good player in Nady for Cameron. I'd take Beltran and Nady over Cameron and any corner OF available during that free agent class. They're going to groom Milledge as a corner OF, too

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    FC, Connecticut......Sec 312
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like
    let me say that ive been a huge mets fan all of my life. i watched numerous games last year and have yet to miss an inning so far this. while the fans had no real reason to boo at beltran, he had no reason to not take that curtain call. the last ting you want as a new york sports star is a bad relationship with the fans and the media.getting angry at the fans is just a bad idea

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, not taking the curtain call was not beneficial to him. If he's smart, he'll do it next time.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,062
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Infamous One
    http://media.putfile.com/beltran-speaks

    For those that dont know the story. Beltran had been booed the first 2 games and for half of this 3rd game because he had went hitless. He hit a HR in the middle of the game and was reluctant to take the curtain call.

    I wannna say props to Beltran. Anybody that boos a player on their own team in the OPENING series, deserves to be smacked upside the head. Totally classless and you make the fanbase look like idiots.

    Beltran handles it well.
    He actually handled it like a little baby and Julio Franco had to talk him into taking the curtain call...Beltran did not handle it well by any stretch of the imagination...

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the fans who booed him are idiots, and Beltran is a little bit of a baby for trying to spite the fans

    I read alot into his last words in that interview when he said "the fans can be bitter" I am sure if he divulged how he really felt, he will admit to hating the fans...

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that he has a hit (homer) and seveal RBI I think the fans will give him a break. I'm predicting some more hits by him and the fans start cheering him.

  19. #19
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofqueens718
    He handled the curtain call badly. If he hadn't been pushed to come out by Franco he would've done nothing but give the fans another reason to boo him.

    Now I don't think the booing has been warrented this season, but Beltran has to stop being so sensitive and just suck it up and perform....and once he does the booing will stop. I wish he could talk to Piazza and hear about the crap that Piazza had to go through in 98'.
    That goes for the fans too. People get so upset when players don't jump through hoops.

  20. #20
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its strange, it seems like every Met fan who chimes in thinks booing him is simply wrong.

    If that's the case, who were these fans that were booing him?

    I think people get caught up in the moment and mob mentality takes over. Everyone realizes that its really stupid to get on a player so early, but in the heat of the moment, when the guy pops out with runners in scoring position, a lot of people who later regret their actions, start booing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us