In JetsInsider History

OT: Contact Lens Solution Causes Fungus

Lots of us wear lenses, so check your fluids:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12257519/

SAR I

Contact lens solution eyed in fungus outbreak
    Bausch & Lomb product linked to infection that can cause blindness

Updated: 6:56 p.m. ET April 10, 2006

WASHINGTON - Bausch & Lomb voluntarily suspended shipment of a contact lens solution after federal health officials linked it Monday to a fungal eye infection that can cause temporary blindness.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating 109 reports of Fusarium keratitis infection in patients in 17 states since June 2005.

Federal and state health officials have interviewed just 30 of those patients. However, of the 28 who wore soft contact lens, 26 reported using Bausch & Lomb’s ReNu brand contact lens solution or a generic type of solution also made by the Rochester, N.Y., company.

Bausch & Lomb said it would temporarily suspend shipments of ReNu with MoistureLoc made at its Greenville, S.C., plant.

“The CDC data released today are both troubling and perplexing, as there is an apparent disproportionate representation of U.S.-manufactured ReNu with MoistureLoc in the underlying data. The source of these infections has not been determined,” company chairman and chief executive officer Ronald Zarrella said.

Five of the 26 patients also reported using other types of solutions in addition to ReNu, Bausch & Lomb said. And nine said they wore their lenses overnight, which is known to increase the risk of infection, the CDC said.

All League
    Thanks for the heads up, I use B&L but not that specific solution. Looks like you need to stay away from the solution with "MoistureLoc". No fungus here!

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    Lots of us wear lenses, so check your fluids:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12257519/

SAR I

Contact lens solution eyed in fungus outbreak
    Bausch & Lomb product linked to infection that can cause blindness

Updated: 6:56 p.m. ET April 10, 2006

WASHINGTON - Bausch & Lomb voluntarily suspended shipment of a contact lens solution after federal health officials linked it Monday to a fungal eye infection that can cause temporary blindness.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating 109 reports of Fusarium keratitis infection in patients in 17 states since June 2005.

Federal and state health officials have interviewed just 30 of those patients. However, of the 28 who wore soft contact lens, 26 reported using Bausch & Lomb’s ReNu brand contact lens solution or a generic type of solution also made by the Rochester, N.Y., company.

Bausch & Lomb said it would temporarily suspend shipments of ReNu with MoistureLoc made at its Greenville, S.C., plant.

“The CDC data released today are both troubling and perplexing, as there is an apparent disproportionate representation of U.S.-manufactured ReNu with MoistureLoc in the underlying data. The source of these infections has not been determined,” company chairman and chief executive officer Ronald Zarrella said.

Five of the 26 patients also reported using other types of solutions in addition to ReNu, Bausch & Lomb said. And nine said they wore their lenses overnight, which is known to increase the risk of infection, the CDC said.
    eyes are free. when one dies, just go out and by another one.

Keep an eye out, there is fungus among us.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' One Eye
    Keep an eye out, there is fungus among us.
    What did the prostitute with the glass eye say to her "john"....

See you next week, I'll keep an eye out for you!

I know....My Grandfather told it to me about 30 years ago.

All League
    Um Um Glasses??? Call me crazy but they work pretty well.