Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Mets Fans...Would you trade Milledge for Dontrelle?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    399

    Mets Fans...Would you trade Milledge for Dontrelle?

    If the opportunity presented itself around the trading deadline or even in the offseason...would you trade Lastings Milledge for Dontrelle Willis?

    Put my vote in the yes column. Even if we had to add a little more to the package.
    Last edited by Kingofqueens718; 04-11-2006 at 01:28 AM.

  2. #2
    Before this thread continues any longer, the Mets have absolutely no chance of getting Dontrelle from the Marlins. Simply put, you don't have the prospects to get him... At all. If Dontrelle was put out there, then there would be a ton of teams that would be interested in him, and the Mets would not be able to matchup. Milledge and Pelfry would be a nice start, but, and I could be wrong about this, I don't think you can trade Pelfry until after the deadline since he just recently signed. I also stress that Milledge and Pelfry would not get the deal done. They would need someone else in there too.

    The Yankees would actually have a better chance of landing Willis than the Mets (actually, most every team would have a better chance as the Mets farm system is one of the worst, if not the worst, in the majors) but the package would be very extensive. Hughes, Wang, and Cano sounds about right. And for the record, there's no way I'd make that trade.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    I think they would try their hardest to send him to the AL so they would not have to face him every year. That being said, I do not think the Mets would have enough and the Marlins would probably ask for something along the lines of Milledge, Pelfrey, and Gomez, Heilman, Humber since they would have to face Willis about 3 or 4 times each season.
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 04-11-2006 at 02:34 AM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Before this thread continues any longer, the Mets have absolutely no chance of getting Dontrelle from the Marlins. Simply put, you don't have the prospects to get him... At all. If Dontrelle was put out there, then there would be a ton of teams that would be interested in him, and the Mets would not be able to matchup. Milledge and Pelfry would be a nice start, but, and I could be wrong about this, I don't think you can trade Pelfry until after the deadline since he just recently signed. I also stress that Milledge and Pelfry would not get the deal done. They would need someone else in there too.

    The Yankees would actually have a better chance of landing Willis than the Mets (actually, most every team would have a better chance as the Mets farm system is one of the worst, if not the worst, in the majors) but the package would be very extensive. Hughes, Wang, and Cano sounds about right. And for the record, there's no way I'd make that trade.
    Pelfrey could be a PTBNL. I'd do Milledge, Pelfrey and Bannister or Heilman

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Pelfrey could be a PTBNL. I'd do Milledge, Pelfrey and Bannister or Heilman
    I'd do Milledge and Bannister....or Milledge and Heilman....but I couldn't see giving up Milledge and Pelfrey together.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofqueens718
    I'd do Milledge and Bannister....or Milledge and Heilman....but I couldn't see giving up Milledge and Pelfrey together.
    At this point, I don't love the Mets rotation, and we would instantly be turning potential into proven talent. Plus, Willis is very young too - it wouldn't be mortgaging the future

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofqueens718
    I'd do Milledge and Bannister....or Milledge and Heilman....but I couldn't see giving up Milledge and Pelfrey together.
    Then you have absolutely no chance of landing him.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,165
    Willis is gonna be a bona-fide ace, if he isnt already, and hes so young. So you bet I'd make that trade.

    I'd have no problems sending out Milledge, Heilman, and Pelfry.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC via NY
    Posts
    8,823
    No offense KoQ... but this has to be one of the most idiotic trade ideas I have heard. The Marlins will get some serious offers once they make Willis available. Lastings Millidge straight up for Willis? Stop drinking the Shea kool-aid.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BergenJet
    No offense KoQ... but this has to be one of the most idiotic trade ideas I have heard. The Marlins will get some serious offers once they make Willis available. Lastings Millidge straight up for Willis? Stop drinking the Shea kool-aid.
    Exactly. A ton of teams would be interested in Willis and frankly, the Mets don't have the prospects to work out a deal.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,953
    yes I would...in a heartbeat, arguably the best NL pitcher, he's young...and Milledge has proved nothing and we have a solid OF now, and this team is built to win this year...with one more solid pitcher we are in the mix of favorites with one more dominate Willis type pitcher we ARE THE favorite.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Exactly. A ton of teams would be interested in Willis and frankly, the Mets don't have the prospects to work out a deal.
    You keep saying that, but I don't think it's true. Milledge is as highly regarded as just about any prospect out there who is projected for arrival by next year. Although he's young, most scouts are very impressed with Pelfrey, and Heilman is a solid ML-ready arm with a tiny price tag attached to it. You seem so certain the Fish will fetch more for Dontrelle. Like what? And from whom? Also keep in mind that Dontrelle, I believe, is arbitration eligible next year and will likely earn enough money to keep several teams out of the mix altogether. I'm not bashing your logic or anything, we all know what kind of chip Dontrelle is, but I think you underestimate Milledge's value, or overestimate what they'll get from another team. Tell me what you think they'll get for Dontrelle.

  13. #13
    Milledge is the only top prospect you guys have and he is quite good, but it takes more than just him to land a guy like Willis. So, let's look at what else you are willing to trade. Heilman is allright, but isn't he also going to be arbitration eligible next year? If so, that is not what the Marlins are going to want to get out of this deal. Pelfry looks like he could be quite good, but we don't know yet.

    Now, here's a team that might be very interested: LA Dodgers. How about Chad Billingsley, Joel Guzman, and Scott Elbert. Nobody could match that package.

    Look at what the Red Sox gave up to get Josh Beckett. Anibal Sanchez and Hanley Ramirez plus the $18 million left on Lowell's deal. Willis is better than Beckett and you'll have to add another prospect to get him.

    Lastly, yes, Willis is arbitration eligible, but it is only his first year of arbitration so his salary won't go up too much. Certainly not enough to scare .any teams away. And, perhaps most importantly, the Marlins don't need to trade Willis. They may very well keep him and build around him and they could at least wait another year until they get a package for him that they think is worth while.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us