Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: OT: Mets Utilization of Wagner

  1. #1

    OT: Mets Utilization of Wagner

    Yesterday afternoon, the Mets were winning 7-1 going into the bottom of the 9th. They did not need to use Wagner here. Up by 6, they should have used someone else. In the next few games, what if there is a 1 run lead in the next game and we really need Wagner to shut down the other team in the 9th. He will not be available b/c he was utilized inappropriately.

    With a 6 run lead, lets see what else we have. I mean it's safe to see what some of the other guys have to contribute. I feel they should have saved Wagner and not wasted his arm when they were up by so much!

    If Willie keeps this up, Wagner will be burnt come playoff time.

  2. #2
    This didn't need a new thread.

    I'd rather Wagner get his work in, during a blowout than a close game. Don't forget Wagner missed time in ST due to a injured finger.

  3. #3
    TMahoney
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Yesterday afternoon, the Mets were winning 7-1 going into the bottom of the 9th. They did not need to use Wagner here. Up by 6, they should have used someone else. In the next few games, what if there is a 1 run lead in the next game and we really need Wagner to shut down the other team in the 9th. He will not be available b/c he was utilized inappropriately.

    With a 6 run lead, lets see what else we have. I mean it's safe to see what some of the other guys have to contribute. I feel they should have saved Wagner and not wasted his arm when they were up by so much!

    If Willie keeps this up, Wagner will be burnt come playoff time.

    Wagner did not have a full spring training.

    They're playing him so he can get back into shape.

    Relax.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Yesterday afternoon
    They didnt play yesterday!!!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    They didnt play yesterday!!!
    Is Beltran still a bum?

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
    Wagner did not have a full spring training.

    They're playing him so he can get back into shape.

    Relax.
    exactly...3 days ago he was topping at about 93...today he topped out at 96...i care a lot more about the fact that he's finally getting his velocity back up than i do about his walking the bases with a 6 run lead...

    and as far as putting someone else in, who should it be?...jorge julio?...in garbage time, when you have a closer who didnt start the year at 100%, you give him a little work...especially when there was about a 3 day span where he got no work last week...

  7. #7
    TMahoney
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    exactly...3 days ago he was topping at about 93...today he topped out at 96...i care a lot more about the fact that he's finally getting his velocity back up than i do about his walking the bases with a 6 run lead...

    and as far as putting someone else in, who should it be?...jorge julio?...in garbage time, when you have a closer who didnt start the year at 100%, you give him a little work...especially when there was about a 3 day span where he got no work last week...
    Word.

    By summertime he'll be hitting 100mph on the radar gun.

    I agree, today was a good day to bring him in. The Mets were up 6 runs. Even if Wagner imploded, we still could've won.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Yesterday afternoon, the Mets were winning 7-1 going into the bottom of the 9th. They did not need to use Wagner here. Up by 6, they should have used someone else. In the next few games, what if there is a 1 run lead in the next game and we really need Wagner to shut down the other team in the 9th. He will not be available b/c he was utilized inappropriately.

    With a 6 run lead, lets see what else we have. I mean it's safe to see what some of the other guys have to contribute. I feel they should have saved Wagner and not wasted his arm when they were up by so much!

    If Willie keeps this up, Wagner will be burnt come playoff time.
    It is just the start of the season and Wagner needs to get into a rythme. Willie will rest him once he reaches his equilibrium and has pitched for a while.

  9. #9

    Beltran

    I fully support him. I think the fans were rong to boo him. They should be supportiing him.

    I made mistake saying yesterday. I meant this afternoon.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,823
    Like others here have said, today was just to get Wagner some work. He missed alot of Spring Training with the injured finger and clearly needs to rehab a little more. The nmore he pitches, the faster he'll get back to form.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    He needed his work, needs to continue what he didn't get a chance to finish in spring training.

    Let me guess, you got pissed when you heard Mike Francessa go on and on and on about it after this afternoons game?

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Is Beltran still a bum?
    Boo Beltran...
    For the money they pay him, that ball should have been out of the stadium. And its not like we needed that homerun. What a bum.

  13. #13
    booing beltran was the dumbest thing i have ever seen.

  14. #14
    would you boo piazza?

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    brooklyn,ny
    Posts
    1,900
    thats where i lost alot of respect in fans..last year they where booing mo...are you kidding mariono rivera...

  16. #16
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Is Beltran still a bum?

    He has ways to go but trust me I hope im wrong..I have no problem eating crow on this one...

    For the money he is making we need Manny Ramirez type numbers at the end of the year...Or somewhere in the ballpark...He cant hit 270 with 16 homers and 80 rbis

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pembroke Pines, Florida
    Posts
    5,937
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCobra
    would you boo piazza?
    I just got back from the Marlins season opener and Piazza went two for three and after his last hit, they took him out for a pitch runner.

    Of course I was scoreboard watching (got to watch the first 5 innings or so) and was very surprised they used Wagner with a large lead. What happens if they need him tomorrow for a closer game and he doesn't come true?

    The METS used Julio in a closer game ( a few games ago)after his first outing that wasn't successful and I was surprised they went with him instead of Heilman, who they haven't used since the first game, who pitched pretty well. So now I'm trying to figure out Willie's thinking / strategy but I don't understand it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    He has ways to go but trust me I hope im wrong..I have no problem eating crow on this one...

    For the money he is making we need Manny Ramirez type numbers at the end of the year...Or somewhere in the ballpark...He cant hit 270 with 16 homers and 80 rbis
    He isn't MAnny Ramirez, he is Carlos Beltran, your expectations are unrealistic.

    We are doing just fine with Carlos Beltran #'s at this moment.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    399
    That move had me scratching my head. But luckily he got out of the inning without giving up any runs.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,229
    He had a long inning yesterday and another today in a game that was out of reach. Hope we don't need him tomorrow and thursday. F'n Willie. All that time in the Bronx has him dizzy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us