Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Jorge Julio Should Be Down By The School Yard !

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: Jorge Julio Should Be Down By The School Yard !

Anyone been watching the Mets game this afternoon.. Jorge Julio should not

be on the roster,he is so inept... He is a cross between Armando Benitez and

Mel Rojas.. He gives up a plethora of walks,hits and is guaranteed to give up

at least one homerun,in his one inning that he is out there for..

You knew the Mets had no shot

when he came in the 8th inning down 5-2 and promptly gives up 3 runs,u

knew that was coming... What is Willie Randolph thinking putting him in with

the game in reach, should of put Chad Bradford in,who he put in right after

Julio,bad move by Willie. The Mets better not keep him around just to justify

the Kris Benson trade,like they have done with Victor Zambrano,justifying

the Scott Kazmir deal.. And great news- Kaz Matsui is coming back

shortly!.... Three guys that need to be off this team or be buried on the

bench are Julio,Matsui,and Zambrano.. But realistically u know that is unlikely

because of salaries and who they were traded for.. Lets see the Mets have

some guts for once and eat some of these salaries for these three pukes or

just keep them out of the action..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade was dumb when it was made, Benson is solid 180+inning guy with a ERA around 4.00.

No ace, but not a bad pitcher. Should have just kept him and ignored his wife.

Jorge Julio has been beyond terrible

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great title. We knew the trade was bad from the start, but I didn't think Julio would be this terrible. Get him out of here, bring up Heath Bell.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sick and tired of the Jorge Julio experiment but I'm sure we can expect to see more of him in the near future. The Mets are slow about admitting mistakes...just look at Victor Zambrano.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been to a couple O's games and knew this was a dissaster in the making. I can see dumping Anna, but not for the sake of adding another Hermano.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Great title. We knew the trade was bad from the start, but I didn't think Julio would be this terrible. Get him out of here, bring up Heath Bell.

When Julio comes in you get that feeling that you used to get when Benitez/Looper was coming in. I'm with Brooklyn, boot Julio and bring up Bell..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good call. I've been saying that since Spring. Bell pitched to a low 1 ERA in the preseason, and was hovering around 2 at Norfolk with twice as many Ks as innings pitched. Screw developing the guy into the solid pitcher I think he'll become, this guy is a better pitcher than Julio RIGHT NOW.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    When Julio comes in you get that feeling that you used to get when Benitez/Looper was coming in. I'm with Brooklyn, boot Julio and bring up Bell..
    Yeah, I get the same sick feeling in my stomach when julio comes out to pitch. The guy can't find the strikezone at all. It's great that he throws 95 MPH...but all the pitches are either in the dirt or above the cacher's head.

I agree with bringing Bell back up. The guy was pretty solid for us last year...had a few bad games, but for the most part solid. Better than this FOOL julio for sure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofqueens718
    I'm sick and tired of the Jorge Julio experiment but I'm sure we can expect to see more of him in the near future. The Mets are slow about admitting mistakes...just look at Victor Zambrano.
    So true. Not sure if it's because of Willie, or pressure on Willie from the hierarchy, but it's definitely true. The scary thing to me, scarier than Zambrano and almost as scary as Julio, is that Kaz is almost ready to come back and scares the living hell out of me to think that Willie is going to try and ease the guy back into the lineup. So Hernandez can't hit. So what? Neither can Kaz. But I've seen Hernandez make 1-2 plays a game that make me immediately think to myself, "There is NO WAY Kaz makes that play."

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Julio gots to go

I still cannot believe how bad this guy's confidence is this year. New York is not the place for this guy to straighten himself out! He needs Tampa Bay or Milwaukee to pick him up and let him get his act together. Otherwise, his career may be destroyed by NY media.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Send him to AAA to work on things. No problem doing that.

I'm not going to crucify the trade, as Benson in NY most likely equals Bannister in AAA, and I'm very happy with Bannister's performance to date. I have doubts that anyone would have taken Zambrano or Trax in a trade, so Benson leaving opened that spot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet

I'm not going to crucify the trade, as Benson in NY most likely equals Bannister in AAA, and I'm very happy with Bannister's performance to date. I have doubts that anyone would have taken Zambrano or Trax in a trade, so Benson leaving opened that spot.
    1) I think Julio has to clear waivers to be sent down, but if someone claims him, good riddance.

2) I won't get crazy about trading the Bensons, but there is no way I will ever believe that we could not have gotten more than Baltimore gave us. Just think about how great that deal feels to an Oriole fan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet

trade benson, fine. but get more than 50 cents on the dollar for him. average starters are worth more than a terrible reliever and a fringe prospect.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    trade benson, fine. but get more than 50 cents on the dollar for him. average starters are worth more than a terrible reliever and a fringe prospect.
    Couldn't agree more. And I can't say for sure what the motivation was, but when you put it that way, the deal stinks of another Rick Peterson "reclamation project."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt Benson can be a decent back of the rotation innings eater with marginal success, but his salary compensation is far too high to accept those results. The Benson trade will be addition by subtraction come July when we make a splash and aquire a front line starter with the dollars we saved from dumping both Benson and Cameron. Xaviar Nady has been a pleasent surpise, and after watching victor diaz this spring who still seems to be overmatched at the plate, I feel fortunate to have Nady on the roster. And you are no doubt right on the money when you mention Julio is not a major league pitcher at this point in time. But lets be honest, does it matter who we got for Benson. His salary made it impossible to get anything good for him. Plus, Bannister has performed admirably and we still have Heilman waiting just in case...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGREEN
    No doubt Benson can be a decent back of the rotation innings eater with marginal success, but his salary compensation is far too high to accept those results. The Benson trade will be addition by subtraction come July when we make a splash and aquire a front line starter with the dollars we saved from dumping both Benson and Cameron. Xaviar Nady has been a pleasent surpise, and after watching victor diaz this spring who still seems to be overmatched at the plate, I feel fortunate to have Nady on the roster. And you are no doubt right on the money when you mention Julio is not a major league pitcher at this point in time. But lets be honest, does it matter who we got for Benson. His salary made it impossible to get anything good for him. Plus, Bannister has performed admirably and we still have Heilman waiting just in case...
    he's only making 8 mil for one season, should've reeived more back

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or could it be to clear out Benson's salary -- $15.5 million due over the next two years -- to make room for the next big pursuit? Does this begin the Barry Zito chase in earnest?

"As far as clearing salary," Minaya said, "The fact is there is a difference. It gives me some flexibility in going forward."

I believe he has two years left. I found this from an article a few months back.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGREEN
    Or could it be to clear out Benson's salary -- $15.5 million due over the next two years -- to make room for the next big pursuit? Does this begin the Barry Zito chase in earnest?

"As far as clearing salary," Minaya said, "The fact is there is a difference. It gives me some flexibility in going forward."

I believe he has two years left. I found this from an article a few months back.
    Truth be told, I don't think the money he makes is outlandish for a pitcher of his ability in today's game. I cannot believe that we couldn't have landed a better prospect than Maine, which by himself would have been better than the package they sent us. In your previous post, you called Benson a "back of the rotation innings eater." I think he's more of a solid middle of the rotation guy for most teams, and while there are several teams where he would be buried in the back of the rotation, there are also a handful where he would be at the front of the line. Not making him out to be an ace, but bottom line, we should have gotten more. Like I mentioned, this stinks of Peterson telling Omar "I can fix this guy."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you guys make great points about the influence it appears Peterson has with past and present General Managers. I just think Benson will never untap his potential. But i guess i can't disagree that he is a useful part of any teams' rotation. My real point is that by moving his contract Minaya now has more potential to acquire salary and an imposing SP; and Julio does still have some upside (even though i am afraid every time he comes into the game!)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually didn't think this trade was horrible just because I thought Benson sucked. So far, Benson is pitching pretty well, but honestly, he's not that good of a pitcher and he's overpaid. I did think you guys should have gotten more for him, but oh well. Your bullpen is pretty good with Heilman and Sanchez anyways. FWIW, I think Julio will turn it around a bit.