Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Marlins Offered Dontrelle For Wright

OT: Marlins Offered Dontrelle For Wright

BY JON HEYMAN
    Newsday Staff Writer

April 23, 2006

The Marlins made a bombshell trade suggestion to the Mets within the past several weeks - Dontrelle Willis for David Wright - people familiar with the brief trade talk told Newsday.

If the straight-up swap of young stars was at all intriguing to the Mets, they didn't show it immediately. The discussion halted almost as soon as the idea was broached.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya quickly rejected it, and it's believed he didn't even consider it seriously enough to take it to club ownership. Minaya and other Mets baseball officials view Wright and Jose Reyes as the franchise cornerstones, and the idea has even been advanced that Wright could be "our Jeter."

Instead, the Mets have told Wright's people they intend to talk with him at year's end about a long extension, assuming the year goes as expected. Taking a cue from the Indians, who locked up young stars Grady Sizemore and Victor Martinez with lengthy deals, the Mets are interested in a contract for Wright for six or five years and a team option because they want to delay his free agency by two years. If they get that done, Wright, 23, gets security, and the Mets could save millions and ensure he's theirs through his 20s. "If the Mets are interested, I'm all ears," Wright said. "I love it here. I know I've only played a year and a half. But I love it. I love everything about this organization."

Even if for some reason the Mets were to change their minds about the proposal, the deal may not be available now. Sometime after this star-swap suggestion, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, to quell speculation about their two stars, including Miguel Cabrera, publicly denied his club was shopping either player. "They're not going anywhere," Loria said in South Florida papers April 15. "We are not shopping players."

That may be true now. But sometime in spring, the Marlins called with the proposal. The idea was such a hot and touchy topic that when speaking of it, Mets people refer to the Marlins as seeking "one of our top guys," when they clearly understood they were targeting Wright, who hit .306 with 27 home runs and 102 RBIs last season.

Although the Mets could use another top-flight starting pitcher, they're holding out hope Mike Pelfrey, last year's No.1 pick, could eventually bolster their thin rotation. They also want to guard against rushing into anything before they are absolutely sure of their most pressing needs in a season in which they expect to contend.

Another consideration for the Mets - who acquired Carlos Delgado and Paul Lo Duca in the Marlins' winter fire sale - was the young stars' contractual situations. Lefthander Willis, who went 22-10 with a 2.63 ERA last season, makes $4.35 million this season and can be eligible for free agency after the 2008 season. Wright makes $374,000 this season and won't be eligible to leave the Mets until after the 2010 season.

Newsday.Com

Banned
    What a terrible trade...the Marlins would get robbed.

wickedtwisted
    Jose Reyes I would consider more but even him I dont want to part with...

Jets Insider VIP
    Willis is good, but not good enough to give up Wright who is your franchise player....Herman Edwards would reject this trade.....

Banned
    wright should be an untouchable..he's probably the best all around player on the mets..

Jets Insider VIP
    Omar would have jumped at that deal if Dontrelle had been Latino.

Jets Insider VIP
    If this was football this trade offer would be equivalent to

The Dolphins trading Culpepper for Vilma.....

Not Going to Happen!

Jets Insider VIP
    Dontrelle is one of the best young pitchers in baseball. I'd have to think long and hard about this. We'd have the best starters in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Dontrelle is one of the best young pitchers in baseball. I'd have to think long and hard about this. We'd have the best starters in the majors.
    You are insane.

Only guy I would even think of trading Wright for also wears #5 in STL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    You are insane.

Only guy I would even think of trading Wright for also wears #5 in STL.
    Okay maybe I'm insane. But David Wright aint the best third baseman. He is in a slump right now. Three errors in one game?

Dontrelle is like a Dwight Gooden reincarnated.

Last edited by RMJK; 04-23-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Okay maybe I'm insane. But David Wright aint the best third baseman. He is in a slump right now. Three errors in one game?

Dontrelle the next Dwight Gooden? come on he is great but Gooden in his prime put up some of the best seasons ever.

David Wright is our star, a position player at a premium position under our control for 5 more years.

DW still has a 1.006 OPS even with his slump.

Speaking of Gooden, lay off the white stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah, the white stuff ruined him later in life. What a waste. Maybe in jail he'll be able to be away from it and get himself straightened out.

David Wright is our star and you don't trade Babe Ruth. I can see the emotional attachment. He affects the teams chemistry etc. It is just that, I see Dwight Gooden in Dontrelle Willis. The kid is awesum. A pitcher like him comes around once a decade. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Omar would have jumped at that deal if Dontrelle had been Latino.
    lol hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by jets1028
    If this was football this trade offer would be equivalent to

The Dolphins trading Culpepper for Vilma.....

Not Going to Happen!
    AWFUL metaphor because Daunte plays every game, while you would see Dontrelle once ever five games. That sinks this deal right away.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chad
    AWFUL metaphor because Daunte plays every game, while you would see Dontrelle once ever five games. That sinks this deal right away.
    Dontrelle wins you 20 games every year with this roster. You pickup a third basement in a trade (give them Zambrano ).

Yeah, the white stuff ruined him later in life. What a waste. Maybe in jail he'll be able to be away from it and get himself straightened out.

David Wright is our star and you don't trade Babe Ruth. I can see the emotional attachment. He affects the teams chemistry etc. It is just that, I see Dwight Gooden in Dontrelle Willis. The kid is awesum. A pitcher like him comes around once a decade. IMO
    He isn't even the best pitcher in the league let alone the deade.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    He isn't even the best pitcher in the league let alone the deade.
    He won 22 games with an ERA of 2.63 with the Marlins last year. I say he doesn't have to be the best. He's close enough and he kicks our ass everytime we meet. That 8 games a year we don't lose.

BTW who is the best?

He won 22 games with an ERA of 2.63 with the Marlins last year. I say he doesn't have to be the best. He's close enough and he kicks our ass everytime we meet. That 8 games a year we don't lose.

BTW who is the best?
    Willis pitchers 8 games vs. the Mets every year? The fish only play us 6 series a year, that is impossible.

Johan Santana for one is much better than Willis, much better peripheral #'s.

The only way I think about trading Wright to the Marlins is if it is an offer of Cabrera and Willis for Wright+