Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonds closing in on Babe Ruth

Bonds closing in on Babe Ruth

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Personally I could care less. If he was less of a jerk, maybe, but he's always been that way.

He'll never overshadow Hammerin' Hank in my book.

All Pro
    Steroids???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Little known fact... Babe Ruth did not hit 714 HR's. He actually hit 715. Before 1920 there was a rule that if you hit a walkoff HR and the game winning run was on base, that would not count as a HR. So, if your team was down by 1 and there were 2 men on base and a HR was hit in the bottom of the 9th, then you would only get a triple and the 2 runs would score and that would be it. If the bases were loaded under those same circumstances then only the 2 runs needed to win the game would count and the other runs would not. Babe Ruth hit one of these before the rule was changed in 1920.

Jets Insider VIP
    I wish it would be over with already. He'll get to about 725 IMO and then retire. I don't know if his legs make it till the end of the year.

Rookie
    while i am not a huge Bonds fan, i can only say this: Over the course of 20 years, who here among us hasn't put on some pounds. I need more than weight gain to condem him. All i have in front of me is speculation and finger pointing. I would love to see cold hard facts, irrefutable evidence that he did 'roids. Until then i'll just not like him for being...........Barry Bonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouda147
    while i am not a huge Bonds fan, i can only say this: Over the course of 20 years, who here among us hasn't put on some pounds. I need more than weight gain to condem him. All i have in front of me is speculation and finger pointing. I would love to see cold hard facts, irrefutable evidence that he did 'roids. Until then i'll just not like him for being...........Barry Bonds.

come on the guy admitted to rubbing the stuff on him, but thinking it was flaxseed oil. right there that tells you he did it. and no way in hell he thought it was anything other than steroids.

All Pro
    guy, weight gain is one thing look at the size of his head!!!

yeah you might gain weight but you head doesn't double in size with age

pay more attention.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    come on the guy admitted to rubbing the stuff on him, but thinking it was flaxseed oil. right there that tells you he did it. and no way in hell he thought it was anything other than steroids.
    Months ago Mike Golic stated that EVERY pro athlete knows EXACTLY what they put into their bodies. So the flaxseed oil excuse is just that.

Let's face it, Barry's an a$$hole and he cheated, BUT he was one helluva ball player BEFORE he cheated too! The roids just allowed him to keep playing longer at a high level.

His records should stand (I hate saying that) b/c what's the alternative? Other than a mess?

He'll just never be the HR king in my book.

phillies fans gave Bonds a Philadelphia welcome tonight.

Rookie
    you know this is funny because most likely we'll never see this again in our lifetime as far as someone approaching 700 homers. I am just so sorry it has to go down like this. I mean we should be celebrating this milestone, yet it is dirty with controversy. The fans are the losers in my eyes.Until he is caught red handed as far as something more than the flaxseed, i'll just not like him for being Barry Bonds.

Jets Insider VIP
    I heard yesterday at a track meet( one of the Dads) that they are going to test high school athletes for steroids. They just past a law.

We can't let Bonds be a hero to our kids. He has to be made an example of what happens when you cheat and use steroids.

here's an interesting article of how much of a jerk Barry was in college http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...earlman/060504

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet
    He'll just never be the HR king in my book.
    Exactly what I was going to post cpj.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    I heard yesterday at a track meet( one of the Dads) that they are going to test high school athletes for steroids. They just past a law.

We can't let Bonds be a hero to our kids. He has to be made an example of what happens when you cheat and use steroids.
    ohh i 100% agree! I mean i hate that the best players at the time were all juicers. In an odd why i comend Canseco for admitting what a jerk and a-hole is was and still is. Whatever happened to the days of just plain ole hard work?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    here's an interesting article of how much of a jerk Barry was in college http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...earlman/060504
    His personality was always a selfish type, even in college.

you know this is funny because most likely we'll never see this again in our lifetime as far as someone approaching 700 homers. I am just so sorry it has to go down like this. I mean we should be celebrating this milestone, yet it is dirty with controversy. The fans are the losers in my eyes.Until he is caught red handed as far as something more than the flaxseed, i'll just not like him for being Barry Bonds.
    A-Rod and Pujols have chances to do it.

Is intentionally walking him wrong? I wonder how many pitchers have considered doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by chicadeel
    Is intentionally walking him wrong? I wonder how many pitchers have considered doing that.
    Wrong in what way? Wrong in the sense that it will hurt your teams chances to win because intentionally walking him every single time will make him 4 times as productive than he would be otherwise?