Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Derby/Preakness (merged)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Kentucky Derby/Preakness

Brother Derek and Barbaro deserve their status as favorites, but I see some lively longshots with a chance. Sharp Humor has knocked heads w/ the latter and barely lost. Sweetnorthernsaint, Cause To Believe, and Showing Up also might have something to say in the outcome. By far the best advice on Derby Day is to keep the damn mint sprigs out of the bourbon. Slainte. Good Luck.

GGG (Cathy) was just telling me today how you love horse racing.

I bet on Sweetnorthernsaint as my key horse. I don't want to talk about the Kentucky Oaks though. I convinced myself out of the winner (47:1).

It seems Sinister Minister is another horse worth talking about in the Derby...

Hey Jumba, it's that time again my friend :yes:

Since there's no possible superhorse in this field, and there isn't, might as well try to make some money

I'll bet A.P. Warrior if he's goin off at 15-1 or better
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 05-05-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Veteran
    For some reason I think Private Vow is sitting on a monster. A top 2 year old with some health problems as an early 3yo, but I think the injury's are behind him and he's going to pop at 20+/1 odds.

Question Jumba ... is A.P. Warrior related to A.P. Indy?

I heard that somewhere, but I haven't checked

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham]Question Jumba ... is A.P. Warrior related to A.P. Indy?

I heard that somewhere, but I haven't checked[/QUOTE]

A.P. Indy was his daddy. A.P. Warrior is the second half of my exacta box.

[QUOTE=NYRAGE]

A.P. Indy was his daddy. A.P. Warrior is the second half of my exacta box.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Rage, I thought so but I wasn't sure ... much appreciated my friend

That's my longshot this weekend ... now that I know for sure he's Indy's offspring, 10-1 or better and I'll drop 50 on APW to Win

Then I'll put him in an exacta box with a favorite ... probably Lawyer Ron, but that's still iffy {undecided?}
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 05-05-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet]Brother Derek and Barbaro deserve their status as favorites, but I see some lively longshots with a chance. Sharp Humor has knocked heads w/ the latter and barely lost. Sweetnorthernsaint, Cause To Believe, and Showing Up also might have something to say in the outcome. By far the best advice on Derby Day is to keep the damn mint sprigs out of the bourbon. Slainte. Good Luck.[/QUOTE]
    I will bet on BAFFERT's entries! How is your knee?

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet]

I will bet on BAFFERT's entries! How is your knee?[/QUOTE]
    KJ, is it correct to assume you hail from Kentucky?

Is so, two questions if you don't mind ...

1. Every been to the derby?

2. Ever visit Secretariat at Claiborne farms before he died?

[QUOTE=JumbalayaJet]Brother Derek and Barbaro deserve their status as favorites, but I see some lively longshots with a chance. Sharp Humor has knocked heads w/ the latter and barely lost. Sweetnorthernsaint, Cause To Believe, and Showing Up also might have something to say in the outcome. By far the best advice on Derby Day is to keep the damn mint sprigs out of the bourbon. Slainte. Good Luck.[/QUOTE]

Hi Jumba,
    It's that time, love the Derby! Anyway, have Deputy Glitters in my pool, kinda a Key West name. I have a good feeling on Bro Derrek. Believe it or not, I actually had a dream about this horse. My $ is on this one.
    On another note, I see 3 games this year...Tampa, Jax and Miami. Remember Jax, had fun at the Irish place with the General and you guys. Hope to see everyone again.
    Later, Dan

A.P. Warrior can be great value if he goes off 10 or 15 to one. He has lot to Brother Derek three times, but should be hanging right behind the leaders. Stalkers tend to do well in the Derby.

This will be a great tactical race. There is a lot of speed in this race. The closers aren't the strongest horses in the race - they could close for third, so you might want to include Steppenwolfer/Jazil in the triples. If speed kills each other off, then the winner should come from the middle of the pack.

[QUOTE=NYRAGE]

A.P. Warrior can be great value if he goes off 10 or 15 to one. He has lot to Brother Derek three times, but should be hanging right behind the leaders. Stalkers tend to do well in the Derby.

This will be a great tactical race. There is a lot of speed in this race. The closers aren't the strongest horses in the race - they could close for third, so you might want to include Steppenwolfer/Jazil in the triples. If speed kills each other off, then the winner should come from the middle of the pack.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Rage, that's exactly what I was thinking with APW ... I like his bloodlines and with all of the sprinters in this race I think he's a decent longshot as a stalker

Which do you prefer for the triple, Wolfer or Jazil?

I like Steppenwolfer more than Jazil, but you never know in a big field. Plus they're so inexperienced at this age.

[QUOTE=NYRAGE]

I like Steppenwolfer more than Jazil, but you never know in a big field. Plus they're so inexperienced at this age.[/QUOTE]
    Sounds Good, Rage ... thanks for the heads up

I'll Give that triple a shot as well ... APW, Wolfer and maybe Lawyer Ron

If I win, the check is in the mail my friend :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    I am boxing Point Determined and Sweetnorthersaint. Derby is always tough to handicap, too many horses. Whoever gets a clean ride usually comes out on top. That is one reason the favorites rarely win. I liked both of these horses before the draw and love them with their post positions. Brother Derek has his work cut out for him coming out of 18.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet]I will bet on BAFFERT's entries! How is your knee?[/QUOTE]Right now both are great. Hope I can say that tomorrow. How's the neck? Smart move on the wager, because Baffert can surprise any time there's flowers involved. That said, it [i]would[/i] be a surprise.

Ham, AP was the most expensive foal in the field. As an AP Indy fan, I'm very dissapointed w/ his performance thus far. Steppenwolfer, Jazeel, and Private Vow have also been mentioned. If any of these win I need to find another game. This coming from a huge Steve Assmussen fan. Todd Pletcher is another who won't be long for the roses. Maybe next year.

[QUOTE=JumbalayaJet]

Ham, AP was the most expensive foal in the field. As an AP Indy fan, I'm very dissapointed w/ his performance thus far.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I know that Jumba, but its a mediocre field {by derby standards} and you know how it goes sometimes ... he has the pedigree and all he has to do is pick THAT DAY to run to his bloodlines ... its not likely, but I'm thinking its worth a shot at 10-1 or better in this field

Am I way off base?

Jets Insider VIP

So much speed, No overwelming standout fave.. This race is wide open

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham]Yeah I know that Jumba, but its a mediocre field {by derby standards} and you know how it goes sometimes ... he has the pedigree and all he has to do is pick THAT DAY to run to his bloodlines ... its not likely, but I'm thinking its worth a shot at 10-1 or better in this field

Am I way off base?[/QUOTE]That's the way I see it, but you can go to Kentuckyderby.com and watch all the prep races. If you see somthing I missed let me know. If this race was won on breeding he'd be a 4/5 cinch.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 05-06-2006 at 02:16 AM.