View Poll Results: Who do u want the mets to acquire?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dontrell Willis

13 32.50%
  • Barry Zito

7 17.50%
  • Livan Hernandez

11 27.50%
  • another player

3 7.50%
  • no one call up minor leaguer or use Heilman

6 15.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pitcher should the mets acquire?

What pitcher should the mets acquire?

We can go the high road or a stop gap!

BTW anyone have the Hernandez article from ESPN insider?

Jets Insider VIP
    Dontrelle if possible and second choice is Zito.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99
    We can go the high road or a stop gap!

BTW anyone have the Hernandez article from ESPN insider?
    I'm not panicking. We also have 2 highly touted youngsters in the minors in Huber (coming off of arm operation) and Pelfrey, who many think will be here this summer anyway.

Whoever allows us to keep Milledge and Pelfrey

Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville
    I'm not panicking. We also have 2 highly touted youngsters in the minors in Huber (coming off of arm operation) and Pelfrey, who many think will be here this summer anyway.
    Humber?

Hernandez is a horse who will give you tons of innings and keep you in most games though he is not as 'shutdown' as the other two. I'd go for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Whoever allows us to keep Milledge and Pelfrey
    Ding, ding ding.

Unless it is Milledge straight up for Willis.

All League
    Whoever the Yankees don't want. We get first dibs.

Hernandez will be the cheapest.......id go with him.

All League
    Willis! He knows the division well, and he is the youngest from the group I beleive. Plus he has a great bat, perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Hernandez is a horse who will give you tons of innings and keep you in most games though he is not as 'shutdown' as the other two. I'd go for him.

Never thought I'd say this about a Beerfish but your absolutely right on! What would it take to real in this Cuban?

Only guy i'm willing to part Milledge is Willis. He's young, lefty, n can be our ace down the road. Plus he has the type of personality that could lead to success in NY!

Say no to Zito. Yes Peterdumby has had success w/ him but this is not the same zito. Not to mention he'll be a free agent n the A's r goin to want a lot for him!

All League
    First off Pelfrey is an untouchable in my book.

Package Milledge and another player {Bannister, Heilman or a minor leaguer} and send them to the Marlins for Dontrelle.

Our rotation by August could be

Petey
    Dontrelle
    Glavine
    Trachsel
    Pelfrey

All League
    You guys want Randy? We'll throw in Sturtze too - you give us Pelfry and Milledge. Everyone is happy

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofqueens718
    First off Pelfrey is an untouchable in my book.

Package Milledge and another player {Bannister, Heilman or a minor leaguer} and send them to the Marlins for Dontrelle.

Our rotation by August could be

Petey
    Dontrelle
    Glavine
    Trachsel
    Pelfrey
    I don't want to trade either unless we get blown away, but why is Pelfrey more untouchable than Milledge?

All League
    I don't want to trade either unless we get blown away, but why is Pelfrey more untouchable than Milledge?
    I think that Pelfrey is more untouchable than Milledge because you don't come across 6'7" fireballers everyday. I think if we lost Milledge we could always re-sign Cliff Floyd to play LF or find another on the free agent market.

We've heard a lot about Met 5 tool players {Alex Ochoa, Alex Escobar} that ended up lacking about 3 or 4 of those tools.

Could Pelfrey turn out to be another Paul Wilson? I doubt it..but I'd rather bet all of my chips on Pelfrey if I had to choose.
    Last edited by Kingofqueens718; 05-09-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofqueens718
    I think that Pelfrey is more untouchable than Milledge because you don't come across 6'7" fireballers everyday. I think if we lost Milledge we could always re-sign Cliff Floyd to play LF or find another on the free agent market.
    You could be right, but the thing you have to consider is that he he just got to AA and pitching prospects are more volatile than hitting prospects... and Milledge is as good as you're going to get in their entire league, prospect wise right now

All Pro
    Livan because he can be an innings eater for us like he has been the last few years despite this current down year and he wouldnt require the Mets to give up Milledge or a PTBNL (which would be Pelfrey).

All League
    You could be right, but the thing you have to consider is that he he just got to AA and pitching prospects are more volatile than hitting prospects... and Milledge is as good as you're going to get in their entire league, prospect wise right now
    Plus wouldn't you want to see Dontrelle and Pelfrey in the starting rotation together? That's the building block to a rotation that could lead the Mets to a run of division titles like the Braves had in the 90's. Plus if Humber ever comes around...that's three fifths of our future rotation right there.

Bannister will be back in a week and a half. So the need to rush out there for a starter really isnt there. We can afford to take our time and have the right deal come to us.

Livan Hernandez isnt even on the market last I heard and even if he was there is no way the Nationals would trade with us, so it is not an option.

My choice would be Barry Zito. Willis is going to be too pricey and nearing the trading deadline Billy Beane will be under immense pressure to trade him instead of losing him for nothing like he did for Giambi and Tejada. We might be able to manage to pry Zito off their hands at the deadline while keeping Pelfrey and Milledge.

For those that are worried about Zito 'struggleing' as of late, that has alot to do with the Mets taking away the pitching coach that turned Zito into a Cy Young winner, a re-union of Zito and Peterson may have similar results, and if not he will still be an above average #3 pitcher.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Livan because he can be an innings eater for us like he has been the last few years despite this current down year and he wouldnt require the Mets to give up Milledge or a PTBNL (which would be Pelfrey).
    The only deal I could see the Mets giving up Milledge and Pelfrey would be one for Willis and Miguel Cabrera...and as bad as the Marlins are I could never see them trading both of those guys.