Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennington Says He Will Be "Full Go" (Merged Chad articles)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Pennington Says He Will Be "Full Go" (Merged Chad articles)

[url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets0512,0,4306011.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines[/url]

Pennington 'full go' for Jets camp
    BY KEN BERGER
    Newsday Staff Writer

May 12, 2006

Optimistic and confident as ever, Chad Pennington proclaimed last night that he is "full go" in his comeback from a second shoulder operation in as many years and is digging in to fight for his starting job in training camp -- maybe even sooner.

"Full go means I'm throwing every route we have in the playbook," the Jets quarterback said last night at a fundraiser in Manhattan. "I feel really good about it."

It was the first update on Pennington's progress since the first week of March, when he restructured his contract and began strengthening his surgically repaired right rotator cuff.

Pennington said he's still working on building up strength and velocity, but said, "I don't have any doubts or concerns or worries ... I'm not trying to get back to the old Chad Pennington. I'm trying to get better than what the old Chad Pennington was."

Pennington and other veterans won't participate in the two-day rookie minicamp that opens today at Hofstra. But he sounded optimistic that he will be ready for team drills when the Jets hold a passing camp at the end of the month and a full-squad minicamp in mid-June.

"Whatever the coaches, and more importantly the doctors, have laid out for me, I'll follow those guidelines," Pennington said. "I don't know what those guidelines are yet."

Pennington's recovery schedule is far more favorable than last year, when he was rushed back to start in the season opener only 31 weeks after the first operation on his right rotator cuff. Yesterday was the 31-week mark after the latest operation, which was performed Oct. 6.

Admitting for the first time that he was rushed back last year, Pennington said, "I had to fly by the seat of my pants to try to go win a football game."

Pennington said he plans to play at his current weight of 229, about 10 pounds heavier than before. He wasn't fazed by the Jets' decision to pass on Matt Leinart in the draft, or their decision to select Oregon quarterback Kellen Clemens in the second round. He said he's ready to compete with Patrick Ramsey for the starting job.

"I want to be in those plans, those future plans," he said. "If I am, I'm going to take advantage of every opportunity I get. If I'm not, that's OK. There's 31 other teams.

"If I was a betting man in Vegas," he added, "I'd put money on No. 10."
    Last edited by JMJ; 05-11-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    However:

Note that the title of the article that Berger made himself says, "for Jets Camp." Chad never said he'd be full go by camp. Chad just said he will be full go and will be making every throw there is to make in the playbook. He never said he'd be full go and making every throw there is to make in the playbook by camp."

Misleading words from Berger .....

HTH.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has the right attitude.
    Personally I think he will prbably come back at some point and play well. We have not seen the last time the swamp goes crazy for Chad. I just fear it's likely he gets hurt again.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

kyle clifton 59

Great long awaited news,exactly what I've been hoping to hear.With modern medicine the way it is and with Chad's exceptional work ethic and character I really believe that he can come back even better than before.
    [SIZE=6]BEST OF LUCK CHAD!!! :)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    countdown to tx reply.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well good for Chad.

LETS GO RAMSEY!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's Go Chad!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm ready to go, ready to build on 2002. This year is going to be our year."
    ---May 2003

"The shoulder's just a little sore. Nothing too bad. We should have beaten the Bills today, but Buffalo's a tough place to play."
    ---November 2004

"I'm ready to go. I'm excited. I've always wanted to play in Kansas City, and to be there for the season opener is really getting me pumped."
    ---September 2005

"I am full go."
    ---May 2006

We trust you at your word, Chad.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't given up on him yet. It would be a great story if he could get back to his old self.

C'MON CHAD GIVE ME A REASON TO PUT THAT 10 JERSEY BACK ON!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I]"I'm ready to go, ready to build on 2002. This year is going to be our year."
    ---May 2003

"The shoulder's just a little sore. Nothing too bad. We should have beaten the Bills today, but Buffalo's a tough place to play."
    ---November 2004

"I'm ready to go. I'm excited. I've always wanted to play in Kansas City, and to be there for the season opener is really getting me pumped."
    ---September 2005

"I am full go."
    ---May 2006

We trust you at your word, Chad.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Lets see where this post is most idiotic:

Well, his May 03 quote was 100% fine. If I'm not mistaken, he was hurt in a preseason game in August 03 so nothing wrong w/ Chad's quote.

His Nov 04 quote was immediately after the game and I don't think he knew right away how severe the shoulder was.

I see absolutely nothing wrong withat September 05 quote other that he and the entire team were not ready. if it were hust him, blame Chad. The whole team? Its more than that.

Essentially SAR, your post is moronic!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'd love to see penny come back, primarily because i dont really trust ramsey...but i dont even think he's got a snowballs chance in hell...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So he will be fumbling the ball and overthrowing his WR's by camp?

J/K :D

Good for him, I hope he makes a full recovery. I think he is alot better than Ramsey. I'm not a Ramsey supporter, the Fins were thinking about getting him last year and alot of Skins fans said he played like he was scared and mentally beaten. Could be because he was buried on the bench.

But if Pennington comes back and can contribute like he has in the past, you guys will be a pretty good team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well thats great news as much as I see the glass half empty on his come back I would like nothing better than for him to prove me wrong.
    GO PENNINGTON...........

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Pennington said he's still working on building up strength and velocity, but said, "I don't have any doubts or concerns or worries ... I'm not trying to get back to the old Chad Pennington. I'm trying to get better than what the old Chad Pennington was."[/QUOTE]

Hard to not like hearing that - worst case scenario, he gives the other QB's a good competition in TC and pre-season and makes them work harder and get better.

Being a skeptical Jet fan is normal, rooting for a Jet player to fail is not cool.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 05-11-2006 at 10:45 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=like2god]So he will be fumbling the ball and overthrowing his WR's by camp?

J/K :D

Good for him, I hope he makes a full recovery. I think he is alot better than Ramsey. I'm not a Ramsey supporter, the Fins were thinking about getting him last year and alot of Skins fans said he played like he was scared and mentally beaten. Could be because he was buried on the bench.

But if Pennington comes back and can contribute like he has in the past, you guys will be a pretty good team.[/QUOTE]
    all right, i am officially naming you the greatest fins fan ever :D

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow if it wasnt 3 years ago all the threads lets go chad chad is the man penny for president.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LesterLyles]Essentially SAR, your post is moronic![/QUOTE]

Essentially Lester, his post is a joke. Those aren't real quotes made by Chad. It was just Sar f*cking around and you getting bent out of shape about it.

HTH.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=like2god]So he will be overthrowing his WR's by camp?

J/K :D [/QUOTE]
    i knew you were kidding as soon as i saw that. no need for the j/k ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Berger did not mislead

[QUOTE=ICWT10]However:

Note that the title of the article that Berger made himself says, "for Jets Camp." Chad never said he'd be full go by camp. Chad just said he will be full go and will be making every throw there is to make in the playbook. He never said he'd be full go and making every throw there is to make in the playbook by camp."

Misleading words from Berger .....

HTH.[/QUOTE]
    2 quick thoughts here...

I recently heard something interesting that I never knew before. In most newspapers the person who comes up with the headline for an article is not the same person who wrote it. The publisher employs a person specifically to write all the headlines. They look for catchy headlines to sell more papers. Often the writers will get mail complaining about a headline they had nothing to do with.

In regard to Pennington, I have been expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Assuming Pennington is not understating his condition, that sounds like great news.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jvill 51]i knew you were kidding as soon as i saw that. no need for the j/k ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the honor of best Fins fan :iwon:, I will definitely let it go to my head.

I just wanted to clarify that it was a joke so the lynch mob wouldn't be pounding down my door. :D
    Last edited by like2god; 05-11-2006 at 11:22 PM.