Thread: AROD article today

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

AROD article today

an interesting article on his clutch performances couldn't copy the whole thing..but..whats below is enough..A lightning Rod
    Monday, May 22, 2006
    BY DAN GRAZIANO
    Star-Ledger Staff

NEW YORK--Everybody knows the deal with Alex Rodriguez, right?

Great player, but not a clutch player. He's at his best when the pressure's not on. He's a monster in the third inning of June games against the Royals, but in October, against the Red Sox, when the Yankees need a big hit? He vanishes.
    Advertisement

That's the perception, and the prevailing opinion, on Alex Rodriguez since he got to New York in 2004. That, whether he likes it or not, is his reputation as a Yankee.

But is it fair?

Is it really true?

Is Alex Rodriguez really a stat-padder who withers in the big games? Or is that just one of those baseball myths, like the one about the guy who makes the big defensive play always leading off the next inning?

As a Yankee, Rodriguez entered last night's loss to the Mets -- in which he went 0-for-4 with a walk, grounded into a rally-killing double play in the eighth and left seven men on base -- as a .301 hitter with 93 home runs and 266 RBI. But with runners in scoring position as a Yankee, he's a .271 hitter. And with runners in scoring position and two outs, he bats .257. And only six of those home runs and 28 RBI have come in situations defined as "close and late" (in the seventh inning or later with the batting team either ahead by one run, tied or with the tying run at least on deck). Those are the kinds of numbers that create the perception. "It doesn't really matter to me," Rodriguez said Saturday, before getting ready to play a game against the Mets at Shea Stadium. "I love the challenge of being the best I can be. If that means people saying negative things or positive things, I don't really care, because it doesn't mean anything either way."

Rodriguez is aware of the perception that he's a poor clutch player, but he doesn't buy into it -- especially the part about not being able to play against the Red Sox.

"I've played my best baseball as a Yankee against Boston," he said. "I mean, if you look at that last series (of 2005), that Saturday, if we don't win that game, we go home. And I had a four-hit game."

That is accurate. Rodriguez also won a game in Boston last July with a ninth-inning home run against Curt Schilling. And two weeks ago at Yankee Stadium, he homered against Schilling to break a 3-3 tie in the fifth inning of a game the Yankees would go on to win. He has some evidence to refute the theory that he never gets a big hit against the Red Sox.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice article.

I'm not sure I buy it though. A Rod happened to step into a bad situation here in New York. All hitters tend to fall into atleast a tiny slump when facing the top teams and that is because you are ussually facing the top pitchers.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetzilla
    Nice article.

I'm not sure I buy it though. A Rod happened to step into a bad situation here in New York. All hitters tend to fall into atleast a tiny slump when facing the top teams and that is because you are ussually facing the top pitchers.
    I have watched the yankees along time..and I'm afraid to say it.. but after they blew that 3-0 lead a couple of years ago..they look tight playing the red sox now..and I have never seen any yankee team play tight like that..other than the debacle previously stated..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    When A-Rod comes up with a man on 1st and 0 or 1 outs, you know he is going to hit into a double play. Nice article but he kind of has to say that. He's not going to say, I am terrible in clutch situations and I lose sleep over it. All in all, Arod is a choke artist. I dont care about the stats. Stats don't make Jeter the player that he is. Its his leadership and ability to hit in the clutch. It doesn't seem to me that Arod has either.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really, the worst part is when Yankees fans boo A-rod in the early part of a game. Gotta realize that if the guy fails 7 of 10 times, we should be satisfied.

Everyone is putting the expectations so high that if you see Alex Rodriguez come to the plate, you say..thats it, he has to get this hit..and it's impossible to do that.

Pretty much, I think an MVP award buys you at least 2 months into the year before you get even close to getting booed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He isn't as "un-clutch" as is widely perceived, but he is far from what he should be. They ran a stat tonite during the game, he is hitting like .167 in clutch situations, which was defined as beign losing by 3 or less runs in the 9th inning I think.

He isn't playing the game loose - he's playing like all Yankees now have to play - you are expected to win and trashed if you lose. They are relieved after wins, not happy. Some guys thrive in that environment, some don't.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arod puts too much pressure on himself. You can see the tension in his face and expressions when he up at the plate in these clutch situations. He has this idea that he must single-handedly carry the whole team on his shoulders when he doesn't have to at all. Every time he makes an out in a crucial situation, and they put the camera on him, you'll find him cursing at himself or slamming a bat straight into the ground. I think blowing the 3-0 lead to Boston has a lot to do with the added pressure he puts on himself. It's almost as if he thinks he is the sole reason the curse got reversed. Scott Brosius was a good ballplayer, not nearly as talented as Arod, but in pressure situations, the guy was as loose and relaxed as can be. Arod needs to take that approach, but unfortunately I don't see this happening anytime soon.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ever since A-Rod had the bad season with RISP in 2004 and the bad end in the postseason that same year, he hasn't been able to win with Yankee fans, and probably never will. Because unless he hits 1.000 in clutch situations, he'll be thought of as a choker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hitting a 2 run homer in the top of the 9th, down 9-1 won't do much to improve his "Mr. Irrelevant Hit" status...add in 8 errors through 43 games (he had 12 all last season) and 8 GIDP so far (he had 8 all of last season)you can start to understand the frustration of fans.

He's a fantastic player, but he set the bar very high with his career stats (and salary) so far , and this year, he is not living up to it...not even close. Obviously, there are a lot of fans...especially Yankee fans that demand unrealistic performance day after day. That said, what A-Rod has put together so far this year has been mediocre. He knew what he was getting into by coming to NY. He got the adulation, the press coverage, and yes, the money...Now it's his turn.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a Yankee Fan but the Yankees just dont have the dominant pitching staff anymore, at one time teams feared the Yankees Staff but not anymore.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    A-rod's still the best 5-tool player in baseball, barring none

(keeping in mind Pujols isn't a 5 tool player)