Thread: Interesting read about the Yankees Payroll...

Interesting read about the Yankees Payroll...

From "The Metropolitans" Blog

http://themetropolitans.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, May 23, 2006
    Mind Boggling

As I was sitting there watching the game at the Shea Stadium on Sunday, it did cross my mind that while the Mets outplayed them in every game, the Yankees were short two of their starting outfielders. They had more hits than the Mets and more base runners, but the Mets simply out-pitched them with the exception of Jeremi Gonzalez and one inning by Billy Wagner. The Mets basically outplayed them for the entire series and could have easily swept. Don't get me wrong, I would not have cared if the entire Columbus Clipper team was out there. A win is a win, but it always feels a bit sweeter when you beat their A-Team. The Mets did have Jeremi Gonzalez starting, but the Yankees had Aaron Small going on Sunday. Both teams were battered, but the Yankees were more battered. Then I started thinking dollars and cents. Hideki Matsui costs about $10,000,000, Gary Sheffield costs about $13,000,000, and Carl Pavano costs them about $8,000,000. According to USA Today, the Yankee payroll was $194,663,079 before their rash of injuries and if you subtract out their three DL’d players, they are sitting at $162,906,908.

Let that sink in. The team that we saw this weekend would not have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2006 in my opinion and is still $42,807,084 more expensive than the Red Sox, $59,434,908 more expensive than the Dodgers, $60,156,241 more expensive than the White Sox, and $61,821,945 more expensive than the Mets. Even if you take Posada out, they are $30,807,084, $47,434,908, $48,156,241, and $49,821,945 more expensive than each team respectively. What Brian Cashman and George Steinbrenner have managed to do is no easy task. They put together quite possibly the worst team money can buy. Yes, they are a very good team with everyone healthy and even without them they are a good team. When you factor in how good they are in correlation to the payroll? A monstrosity. Let us all laugh at them with many of their high priced players in a precipitous decline and many others unable to stay healthy. The Mets took advantage of a banged up Yankee team, but that banged up Yankee team still cost $150,906,908.00. To put that into perspective, that is three more Pedro Martinez’s with a sprinkling of another Carlos Delgado and the Yankees total payroll in the real world is still another $ 43,756,171 above that. I still for the life of me cannot figure out why any sane Yankee fan could brag about their team being better than any other team with such disparities in payroll between the Yankees and every single team in professional sports.

Banned
    more vintage jermaine..

Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    more vintage jermaine..
    "Tuesday, May 23, 2006"

Why are you digging up insanely old posts...

what a weirdo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    "Tuesday, May 23, 2006"

what a weirdo

I am really starting to admire you your my hero

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    "Tuesday, May 23, 2006"

what a weirdo
    and because I can..being a vip..oohh..thats right..your piggy bank isn't quite full..is it??join up..and you can use the same search engine

Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    and because I can..being a vip..oohh..thats right..your piggy bank isn't quite full..is it??join up..and you can use the same search engine

uhhh... I dont know its worth 60 bucks to use a search engine.