Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Carlos Beltran

OT: Carlos Beltran

David Wright has been great for us, and the kid has the potential to be a GREAT player. Carlos Delgado has been better than most of us expected him to be, and that is saying alot.

With all that said, Carlos Beltran is the best player on this team IMO

First of all, his fielding/arm is definately in the B+ range i think, but that has really never been questioned about him. The guy is a very good fielder.

But have you guys really taken a look at the numbers he's been posting? Lemme just throw out some numbers:

3ed in runs(29)
    2nd in HR's(12)
    2nd in RBI's(31)
    1st in Walks(28)
    3ed in Stolen Bases(7)(never caught)
    1st in on base %(.391)
    1st in Slugging %(.603)

Now when you look these over, these numbers are impressive, but whats even more impressive is that he has missed 10 out of a possible 44 games and still posted these numbers. Imagine his numbers if he never missed a game. He would be first in HR's, RBI's, 2nd in stolen bases, and 1st or 2nd in runs.

People need to really start appreciating what this guy is doing.

eLOT

1st in maximum amt. of gel allowed in one's hair without it being illegal...sorry I think it's funny that a dude gels his hair to play ball...

Im happily eating my words on this one. However he will never be a favorite of mine. Simply because I know he really is only here to collect a paycheck. Not that I blame him. But you just don't say I would rather play for the yankees for 80 million when you know theres a chance your gonna be playing for the METS. I like players who enjoy playing here and like being a MET.

Eww that still burns.
    Last edited by 631JetFan; 05-24-2006 at 05:47 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by elot
    David Wright has been great for us, and the kid has the potential to be a GREAT player. Carlos Delgado has been better than most of us expected him to be, and that is saying alot.

With all that said, Carlos Beltran is the best player on this team IMO

First of all, his fielding/arm is definately in the B+ range i think, but that has really never been questioned about him. The guy is a very good fielder.

But have you guys really taken a look at the numbers he's been posting? Lemme just throw out some numbers:

3ed in runs(29)
    2nd in HR's(12)
    2nd in RBI's(31)
    1st in Walks(28)
    3ed in Stolen Bases(7)(never caught)
    1st in on base %(.391)
    1st in Slugging %(.603)

Now when you look these over, these numbers are impressive, but whats even more impressive is that he has missed 10 out of a possible 44 games and still posted these numbers. Imagine his numbers if he never missed a game. He would be first in HR's, RBI's, 2nd in stolen bases, and 1st or 2nd in runs.

People need to really start appreciating what this guy is doing.

eLOT
    Good work my friend on the stats tossing. I like Beltran overall, but sometimes you can catch him "pulling up" on potential game saving plays on liners and fly balls to center. Luckily, the ones that my brother and I have spotted when watching haven't really cost the Mets, but it probably will at some point.....hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by 631JetFan
    Im happily eating my words on this one. However he will never be a favorite of mine. Simply because I know he really is only here to collect a paycheck. Not that I blame him. But you just don't say I would rather play for the yankees for 80 million when you know theres a chance your gonna be playing for the METS. I like players who enjoy playing here and like being a MET.

Eww that still burns.

What about Delgado? He didnt want to be here either, dont forget to hate on him

eLOT

eLOT
    Delgado did not want to be here because he was approached the wrong way...

He was insulted that some scummy assistant of Minaya's talked to him like he was some idiot spanish ballplayer who did not speak any language very well...

I can understand that...

IT definatly looks like Delgado is having fun here though, and he even said himself the other day on M+MD that he did not expect the clubhouse to have this lively and fun of a atmosphere...

Beltran's "strong sensitive silent" demeanor, although he is entitled to have it, is definatly annoying for some reason, and does not really fit in with the other guys on this team... thats what caused him to get bood here... Even If Cliff Floyd for example, was hitting .056, I wouldnt, and I dont think anyone else would, boo him just because we like his personality.

That being said... Beltran is REALLY owning so far this year...

All Pro
    Margate Fl soon to be Ocala FL by way of Da Bronx
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    Delgado did not want to be here because he was approached the wrong way...

He was insulted that some scummy assistant of Minaya's talked to him like he was some idiot spanish ballplayer who did not speak any language very well...

I can understand that...

IT definatly looks like Delgado is having fun here though, and he even said himself the other day on M+MD that he did not expect the clubhouse to have this lively and fun of a atmosphere...

Beltran's "strong sensitive silent" demeanor, although he is entitled to have it, is definatly annoying for some reason, and does not really fit in with the other guys on this team... thats what caused him to get bood here... Even If Cliff Floyd for example, was hitting .056, I wouldnt, and I dont think anyone else would, boo him just because we like his personality.

That being said... Beltran is REALLY owning so far this year...

some scummy assistant !!!!! HELLO !!!! Tony Bernazard happens to be Puerto Rican just like Mr. Delagado so if Mr Bernazard decided to communicate in SPANISH... with Mr. Delgado in Puerto Rico of all places how can that possibly be an insult to Mr. Delgado

Quote Originally Posted by nyrican
    some scummy assistant !!!!! HELLO !!!! Tony Bernazard happens to be Puerto Rican just like Mr. Delagado so if Mr Bernazard decided to communicate in SPANISH... with Mr. Delgado in Puerto Rico of all places how can that possibly be an insult to Mr. Delgado
    i guess you missed how it went down, bro. bernazard spoke down to delgado and used street spanish... he didn't talk to carlos like a respectable adult. he offended him. as a result, we didn't have that cleanup hitter last year and we no longer have jacobs and petit. nice job, tony. kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    i guess you missed how it went down, bro. bernazard spoke down to delgado and used street spanish... he didn't talk to carlos like a respectable adult. he offended him. as a result, we didn't have that cleanup hitter last year and we no longer have jacobs and petit. nice job, tony. kudos.

exactly... he was very insulted that he was being spoken to like he was an idiotic thug, and wanted nothing to do with the organization... I guess a year later though, with it really being by and far his best choice to come here, he put it behind him, ending up good for us and for him, and I think he's having fun here.

eLOT
    Carlos was worried about the spotlight and knowing how NY fans are in regards to being very tough on guys when they are not playing to their potential when they go into a slump. I also think Minaya rubbed him the wrong way by playing the race card.(which he also said really turned him off)

All Pro
    Margate Fl soon to be Ocala FL by way of Da Bronx

street spanish huh come on lets imagine how Bernazard spoke to Delgado

mira brother ven aqui vamos a meter mano con los Mets este ano no te apures porque vamas a cabar con medio mundo .........

Quote Originally Posted by nyrican
    street spanish huh come on lets imagine how Bernazard spoke to Delgado

mira brother ven aqui vamos a meter mano con los Mets este ano no te apures porque vamas a cabar con medio mundo .........

whatever, now you know the truth

Being a Rican myself I can't understand how his spanish would offend another Puerto Rican. In the begining neither of these guys wanted to be with the Mets. What is important is that now they are happy and we are getting the benifit of them playing for us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Carlos Beltran was playing hurt last year and is finally playing up to his salary. thank God for that. Now if Floyd and Matsui would catch on fire we'll be way ahead.

Banned
    Beltran playing up to his salary? He's got a .250 BA

If you think Beltran is better than David Wright or Carlos Delgado, you need to put the crackpipe down

Quote Originally Posted by blackout806

If you think Beltran is better than David Wright or Carlos Delgado, you need to put the crackpipe down

BA is probably the worst stat you could use to prove the value of a player. Check out Slugging, OBP and RBI's. He's also better defensively than Wright/Delgado.

5 tool talent playing up to his potential, what else can you ask for

eLOT

Banned
    BA is probably the worst stat you could use to prove the value of a player. Check out Slugging, OBP and RBI's. He's also better defensively than Wright/Delgado.

5 tool talent playing up to his potential, what else can you ask for

eLOT
    In order to be a 5 tool player you have to have a high batting average, something Beltran hasn't ever done in the regular season. A low batting average does alot of damage to a slugging average.

and Wright is far more valuable defensively than Beltran

A solid defensive 3rd basemen/SS/2nd basemen is more valuable than a solid defensive center fielder.

Jets Insider VIP
    They mentioned on the game yesterday that Beltran has the second best slugging percentage next to Pujolis. He does it very quietly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    They mentioned on the game yesterday that Beltran has the second best slugging percentage next to Pujolis. He does it very quietly.
    Pujols: .791
    Holliday: .639
    Howard: .624
    Beltran: .618

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/by...fied=1&sort=24

Quote Originally Posted by blackout806

*whistles* .294 batting average, does that satisfy you?

Im more impressed with the .407 OBP and .631 Slugging.

43 runs . . 17 homers . . 44 RBI's . . . 50 games played of a total of 60

Obviously if you project these #'s over the course of the years you get something along the lines of 50 HR's and 135 RBI's, which no one thinks he will get, but i definately think that he can reach 35 HR's and 110 RBI's.

eLOT