Thread: Mets New Pitcher ?

All League

Mets New Pitcher ?

Hey guys,

I was just watching ESPN and the little ticker at the bottom said the Reds traded P Dave Williams and cash to the Mets for minor league P Robert Manuel.

Anybody know anything about Williams and/or Manuel ?

Manuel is a throw-in.

The Mets signed Manuel as an undrafted free agent shortly before the 2005 short-season. He played college ball at Sam Houston State University, posting a 3.12 ERA in 66.1 innings in Spring 2005. He was assigned to the Gulf Coast squad. The Mets traded Manuel to the Reds on May 25, 2006 in exchange for Dave Williams and cash considerations.
    Williams isn't bad, but he is reporting to AAA, good depth move by Omar, Williams' ERA the last two years were in the mid 4's.

Assets
    His fastball may top out at 90 mph but it's made to look much hotter thanks to his excellent change-up. He has excellent command over his arsenal, which also includes a nice curve.
    Flaws
    Still has some command problems against right-handed hitters, who tee off when they're not strolling to first. Needs to work on his endurance and mental toughness with runners in scoring position.
    Career potential
    Decent late-rotation starter.
    A Williams report

He does not look too great... maybe has some potential, went 8 innings with 1 ER two weeks ago, but all his other outings look like trash...

DATE OPP RESULT IP H R ER HR BB SO
    5/18 @Pit W 9-8 3.0 7 6 6 1 2 1
    5/13 Phi L 0-2 8.1 5 2 1 0 0 5
    5/7 @Ari W 9-8 5.0 6 5 5 1 2 1
    5/2 StL W 3-2 6.2 8 2 2 1 2 2
    4/25 @Was W 6-5 5.0 9 4 4 2 1 0
    4/20 @Mil W 12-8 3.0 8 6 6 1 4 2
    4/15 @StL L 3-9 3.0 6 6 6 2 3 2
    4/9 Pit L 3-5 6.0 5 3 2 1 2 3
    Complete Game Log

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    He does not look too great... maybe has some potential, went 8 innings with 1 ER two weeks ago, but all his other outings look like trash...
    FWIW that is too small of a sample size he had poste decent #'s in 2005, he is better than Lima and Gonzalez. Good Depth.

All League
    Thanks for the info Ikey and Jermaine.

I just read the article on MLB.com and looks like he was added for depth purposes. He's only 27. I hope Peterson can work with him and "fix" him. After all, he was making some promise with Julio.

And yes, after looking at all the info, I'd rather call him up than Lima or Gonzalez.

Any news on Bannister and/or Maine ??
    Last edited by JetBidi; 05-26-2006 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    Thanks for the info Ikey and Jermaine.

I just read the article on MLB.com and looks like he was added for depth purposes. He's only 27. I hope Peterson can work with him and "fix" him.

And yes, after looking at all the info, I'd rather call him up than Lima or Gonzalez.

Any news on Bannister and/or Maine ??
    Maine is going to make a rehab start this week. Bannister isn't coming back for another month at least.

Prior to last night’s game, Omar Minaya told reporters that Maine, who is on the DL with a swollen right middle finger, pitched five innings in a minor-league rehabilitation game at the team’s complex in St. Lucie earlier this week. If the finger continues to improve, he will most likely start for Single-A St. Lucie this weekend…

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Maine is going to make a rehab start this week. Bannister isn't coming back for another month at least.
    Damn...another month for Bannister ??!!

At least Soler is looking promising.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    Damn...another month for Bannister ??!!

At least Soler is looking promising.
    You didn't hear, Bannister reaggrivated his hamstring by trying to come back too early and is now in St. Lucie rehabbing.

FWIW Some more pitching news.

I am just curious if you've heard anything on possible movement by the Mets to sign draft-and-follow righthander Pedro Beato of St. Petersburg (Fla.) JC. As New York doesn't have a first-round pick, I would hope they would be willing to pay seven-figure bonus that Beato now figures to garner in light of his tools. Any idea if the Mets will or will not sign this guy?

Daniel Wexler
    New York

Are the Mets likely to sign Pedro Beato, or will he end up in the draft again?

Lance A. Willis
    Memphis

Jim Callis (BA): I talked to someone with another team today who said he had heard that the Mets and Beato were getting closer to a deal. The expectation from other teams is that New York will sign him, especially considering that he's a first-round talent in a year in which it doesn't have a first-round pick. It's not like money is much of an object to the Mets, anyway.

We ranked Beato as the No. 13 prospect on our Top 200 and he'd likely go in the second half of the first round if he re-entered the draft. He had Tommy John surgery during his junior season at Brooklyn's Xavieran High, and the Mets took him in the 17th round last year as a draft-and-follow.

That proved to be an astute decision, as he has shown three plus pitches at times this spring. Beato has a hard sinker that sits around 90 mph and touches 96. He also has a sharp 84-85 mph slider and a promising changeup. He has a strong build at 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds, and his biggest need is to improve his mechanics and, by extension, his command. At age 19, he has plenty of time to figure that out.
    for what it’s worth, Brian Bannister is said to still have tightness in his hamstring, and remains weeks away from getting back on the hill

Humber is tentatively scheduled to return to either St. Lucie or Binghamton at some point during mid– to late-June…

…the buzz from florida is that humber has come back quite well from his tommy john surgery, and has a good attitude about where he is in his recovery…

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    You didn't hear, Bannister reaggrivated his hamstring by trying to come back too early and is now in St. Lucie rehabbing.
    I heard Bannister threw like 5 pitches and had to come out, so I knew about the hamstring, but didn't realize it would be a whole month.

I would be more worried, but recent pitching moves (El Duque, Soler, and now Williams) have me more at ease.

Let's give Bannister all the time he needs to get back to form. We're going ot need him later in the season.

The pitching situation is looking up of late, not great, but definitely better than Gonzalez and Lima in the rotation.

All League
    I really want the Mets to sign Beato. Would be an excellent move for our future rotation. If everyone does as expected or better... the future of the Mets pitching is looking bright.

Future:

Pelfrey
    Bannister
    Soler
    Maine

Possible Mets:

Beato
    Willis or Zito or
    L. Hernandez (my personal pick because I don'y want to give up Pelfrey or Milledge).
    Last edited by JetBidi; 05-26-2006 at 01:24 AM.