Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Do you think Pujols is on ROIDS????

Jets Insider VIP

OT: Do you think Pujols is on ROIDS????

Do you think Albert Pujols is on steroids or Human Growth Hormones?? Here is an article about his incredible accomplishments so far this year on ESPN @ http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...orthops_060529. I hope he isn't, but his numbers put him in company with only Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, and the Babe. We know the Babe was on beer and hot dogs, but that was many years ago. The other two, well....

By Mark Simon, ESPN Research

The chase for history didn't end with Barry Bonds passing Babe Ruth on the all-time home run list. In fact, another pursuit is continuing courtesy of Albert Pujols.
    On Monday, Pujols hit his 25th home run of the season, lifting the Cardinals to a win over the Astros. Pujols is right on pace with some of the game's all-time greats in pursuit of the single-season home run record, chasing names like Bonds and Mark McGwire.

And with 64 RBI, Pujols is one-third of the way to Hack Wilson's single-season RBI mark of 190.

Fewest team games to 25 home runs (all-time):
    Player Year Team games
    Barry Bonds 2001 47
    Mark McGwire 1998 49
    Albert Pujols 2006 51
    Barry Bonds 2000 55
    Babe Ruth 1928 55

Hall Of Fame
    That's funny because I was thinking about that and I still don't know. I know when he first came directly to the Majors from Double A, they were already touting him as a star. Each year he has shown more and more improvement too. Based on that, you could say that he isn't but you never know but I hope he isn't.
    Last edited by MrSFJFC; 05-30-2006 at 12:49 PM.

I was actually going to do a column on that this week on why is he above suspicion. The other players who have hit 60 since Maris (Bonds, McGwire, Sosa) have all had to deal with this but Pujols hasn't for some reason.

Hall Of Fame
    No way. Pujols has been unbelievable his entire career. He hasn't just had this power surge the last few seasons. He has been simply amazing throughout his professional career.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrud
    I was actually going to do a column on that this week on why is he above suspicion. The other players who have hit 60 since Maris (Bonds, McGwire, Sosa) have all had to deal with this but Pujols hasn't for some reason.
    A column for what?

All League
    Man, I hope not! The sport doesn't need any more of this crap!
    He has been an awesome talent since Day 1.
    I say NO. He is just maturing as a player and may already be the best in baseball.

Could he be on the juice-sure

Do I have ANY reason to believe he is-no

Veteran
    He's on arroz con gandules and pernil.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think the bottom line is, whether or not you believe he is, we all agree that we don't trust MLB's testing system. It's sad that now, everytime a player accomplishes something like this, our first reaction will be 'I wonder if he is on ROIDS'. I blame it on BUD!!!!

If Pujols was 40 yrs old and hitting more homers in July and August than anyone else, then you have point. Most guys wear down in the summer months but when Bonds was going off while everybody else was hitting the wall and he started doing it every year, you had to think something was up. Plus now that they test, it's probably a little more difficult to get away with it. I'd be surprised if he gets to 73 but I hope he does it because Bonds is such an a**hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsec333

Man if pernil does that, then I gotta eat some more

Hall Of Fame
    no...there were pleanty of great power hitters before steroids, no reason to assume that every power hitter today is using...pujols is just a great ballplayer...

All League
    Well, he's the best hitter in baseball.....so he must be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    I've noticed his physique has changed, he's looking bulkier, and it's starting to worry me a bit. Hope it's just hard work without any enhancers.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

OT: Do you think Pujols is on ROIDS????

It's certainly possible. Here's the thing. All athletes take supplements of some kind. That's a given.

It is possible to get stronger and bigger without using steroids or "illegal enhancers". You can put on muscle and strength without doing "ROIDS".

You have all types of drugs that athletes take for different reasons. There are supplements on the market that are specifically for adding strength and there are supplements on the market that help players recover from injuries at a faster rate. There are all different kinds of drinks and pills that help you boost your energy and alot of people not just athletes take these things.

I'd love to be able to see MLB's list of supplements that are not banned. I guarantee everyone uses them.

Pujols is on something. Every athlete and player is on something.

There's no such thing in sports as a player who just drinks milk and eats spinach. This isn't The 1920's. Sports medicine is so advanced and athletes are advanced.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsec333
    That will definately help him with the long ball.

But the biggest question mark for me is, how old is this guy? It doesn't hurt him in the homer department for a season, but it will definately impact his career. Knowing that there is no real department of vital statistics in DR checking for the accuracy of records, Pujols is probably 32 years old, rather than the 26 he claims.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Micaboy
    Man if pernil does that, then I gotta eat some more
    Hey, it added some MPH for my Moms throwing her slipper at us.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    That will definately help him with the long ball.

But the biggest question mark for me is, how old is this guy? It doesn't hurt him in the homer department for a season, but it will definately impact his career. Knowing that there is no real department of vital statistics in DR checking for the accuracy of records, Pujols is probably 32 years old, rather than the 26 he claims.
    six years seems like a bit much smc...i'd say he's closer to 28 than 26, but to put him over 30 seems a bit high...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    six years seems like a bit much smc...i'd say he's closer to 28 than 26, but to put him over 30 seems a bit high...
    Of course, it was exageration for effect. My money is on 29. I thought he was 28 last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    No way; he's always been huge and muscular from the getgo unlike Bonds.