Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How freaking good is pedro, honestly...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

How freaking good is pedro, honestly...

Pedro Feliciano...

no just kidding, but how good is Pedro Martinez? What he is doing is really amazing, Your talking about Webb who has some heat and stuff, Pedro is topping out at like 91 MPH TOPS and still owning guys? Jesus christ. He should really be 9-0 right now.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pedro Martinez was the hard-luck starter for the Mets on Wednesday night, pitching eight scoreless innings. Martinez finished the month of May without a win in six starts despite a 2.14 ERA. No pitcher had gone winless in a month making at least six starts with an ERA that low since Bill Laskey went 0-3 despite a 1.98 ERA in six starts for the Giants in April 1984.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260531121

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pedro's been a stud this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pedro has been a stud since the early-to-mid 90's!

I had two favorite baseball players over the last 15 years or so. Gregg Maddux and Pedro Martinez. There is absolutely nothing like watching a technician of their caliber pitch. What is even more impressive on Pedro's side is how he has seamlessly transformed, and morphed himself into a Gregg Maddux-like pitcher.

Pedro has ALWAYS had great "stuff." However, he had over-powering and dominant stuff up until about 3-4 years ago. This was able to get him by on a night when maybe his command wasn't what it could have been. When his 160 pound frame was gassing the ball at 97 mph ... he was unstoppable. However, being a student of the game and such a tactical perfecitionist has alllowed him to gracefully transform into a true pitching technician. He still dominates hitters with his changeup even though his fastball only tops out at 90-91 mph now. The way he does this is by setting up his changeup and timely fastballs by being in command and controlling the tempo of that at-bat with his pitch selection and location.

Its truely entertaining and a pleasure to watch him pitch. I just wish the Mets would score some damn runs for him to get this guy some of the wins he deserves. Even if you go back to last year, it wasn't the run-support that held Pedro back (13 wins) despite a sub 3.00 era, it was the bullpen. Pedro left a game with a lead double digit times last season just to get a no decision as the bullpen imploded. Pedro should have easily had 20 wins last season also!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10
    Even if you go back to last year, it wasn't the run-support that held Pedro back (13 wins) despite a sub 3.00 era, it was the bullpen. Pedro left a game with a lead double digit times last season just to get a no decision as the bullpen imploded.
    Pedro had 15 wins last year.

He had 31 starts..went 15-8 with 8 No Decisions.

Of those 8 non-decision, in only 5 did the Bullpen blow a lead.

Where did you get that the bullpen blew DOUBLE DIGIT leads for him?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pedros great but is going to break down from too many innings. Look for him to have a few minor injuries after all star break. Then they will have to start babying him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Almost as good as Moose!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    Pedros great but is going to break down from too many innings. Look for him to have a few minor injuries after all star break. Then they will have to start babying him.
    Why? He has not been pitching too many innings... He's been going on at least 5 days rest, and often times 6. When he's been going into the 7th or 8th inning it's only because his pitch count is down under 100

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    Almost as good as Moose!
    keep dreaming

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was huge against Arizona keeping up the scoreless duel. Pedro has several gears and knows when to use them all. Great player.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

instead i'll look for him to still be pitching great baseball after the all-star break. why would i be so pessimistic about it? if he happens to have an injury or 2, so be it. but i won't be expecting it. i'll be expecting him to pitch the way he has been.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    keep dreaming

Why dream? I'll just look at the stats. Hey there Moose is, best ERA in the American League. And seeing as though its a known fact NL pitchers ERAs are AT LEAST .5 lower because of the NL (thats debatable, some people say it can be up to a point lower, depending on the pitcher).... he has the best adjusted ERA in the entire league... I don't need to dream, just watch the games!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love him or hate him (I hate him) he has pitched incredibly this year. I've watched a few Met games this year to root against him, and I have to admit batters look simply lost against him. Tip of the cap, he is pitching great....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    keep dreaming
    Are you kidding me?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    instead i'll look for him to still be pitching great baseball after the all-star break. why would i be so pessimistic about it?
    cuz it happens every year with Pedro dude.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    cuz it happens every year with Pedro dude.

a problem you would love to have right now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    la problema con pedro es..quando la primer session de la season el es mucho fuersa!!pero..quando mas tarde..pedro es mucho consado..
    pedro es bueno para nada..pero yo no say..
    asta bueno..yo ablo mucho mierda para pedro..y los fanaticos de los mets no savi espanol..increible..haha..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    la problema con pedro es..quando la primer session de la season el es mucho fuersa!!pero..quando mas tarde..pedro es mucho consado..
    asta bueno..yo ablo mucho mierda para pedro..y los fanaticos de los mets no savi espanol..increible..haha..
    Hard to argue with that!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CT. JETS FAN
    Hard to argue with that!!!!
    moy bien..mucho gracias senor..asta mas tarde..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    you know what bill, you're killing me with the spanish. i know a bit of italian, but that's about it and i can never read half your posts.
    "the problem with pedro is.. when the first session of the season"... and then i'm lost.