Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Truce - Yanks & Mets Fans

All League

OT: Truce - Yanks & Mets Fans

The back and forth between Yanks and Mets fans on here has really reached a ridiculous level. I'll admit, I've been as guilty as the rest of you, chiming in with jabs here and there. I propose we all agree to a truce - here's a couple thoughts to help get there:

Met Fans: The Mets have a very good team this year, better than in a very long time. Couple that with a relatively weak NL East and the pennant looks like it's their for the taking. Enjoy your team's success and please fight the urge to try to (as one Met poster admitted) "bring pompous Yankee fans down a peg". Don't worry about Yankee fans - believe me, if the Mets won 4 WS, you would be pretty proud yourself and not shy to remind everyone of how great they are. It's natural (see Cowboys, Pats fans). Don't rush to come on here and antagonize Yankee fans, just enjoy the ride and take pride in your team's accomplishments as they come.

Yanks Fans: There is no need to defend what the Yankees have accomplished or respond to all the "this is the year they collapse" posts. It's insulting to what they have done. The Yankees have had a run that will likely not be duplicated in our lifetimes, and that is bound to create envy from fans of other teams. Now that the Mets have a talented squad, and Met fans are excited, resist the temptation to remind them how early it is or how far they have to go to do what the Yanks have done. They know deep down, and all it will do is lead to inane bickering. Tip your cap to Minaya and the Mets for spending the money and putting together a good team and leave it alone.

Hopefully we can all focus our hate now on our common enemies : The Giants, Dolphins and Patriots!!!!!

Banned
    walker..great thread!!!I agree!!!it's truce time with my beloved met fans..

Jets Insider VIP
    Agreed, they are both in our metropolitan area.

Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    walker..great thread!!!I agree!!!it's truce time with my beloved met fans..
    will never happen. i agree though, enough with the mindless jabs, let's just talk baseball.

Never gonna happen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Never gonna happen.

well..at least we will take the high road until provoked..we are classy fans..just like our classy organization..

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    well..at least we will take the high road until provoked..we are classy fans..just like our classy organization..
    Man, you make it difficult to resist....................This is a test isn't it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet
    Man, you make it difficult to resist....................This is a test isn't it?
    no..''old man''...you know I love all met fans!!!they are like role models for me..you should know that being around as long as you have been..

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    no..''old man''...you know I love all met fans!!!they are like role models for me..you should know that being around as long as you have been..
    Buddy, You have no idea how long I've been around! Some days it feels like I've been around a lot longer!

Now just so you don't get the wrong idea of me, I enjoy baseball (football more) and I can appreciate other players, they don't have to wear a Mets uniform. For instance, one of my favorite players was Bobby Murcer, when he was a YANKEE. I enjoyed seeing him play. How about you? Are you strictly "a company man" or do you appreciate players on other teams as well?

All Pro
    Never gonna happen as long as Met fans see us as a bigger enemy then the
    Phillies or Braves . I don't get it.....

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Anyone know how long this bad blood has been going on between the Yankees and Mets fans? I mean I don't recall it back in the 70's or 80's. We pretty much ignored one another, being in different leagues. Anyone remember when all this BS started?

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree to an extent I will not cheer for them.

Banned
    Buddy, You have no idea how long I've been around! Some days it feels like I've been around a lot longer!

Now just so you don't get the wrong idea of me, I enjoy baseball (football more) and I can appreciate other players, they don't have to wear a Mets uniform. For instance, one of my favorite players was Bobby Murcer, when he was a YANKEE. I enjoyed seeing him play. How about you? Are you strictly "a company man" or do you appreciate players on other teams as well?
    I will tell you what..on the mets I liked len dykstra..but...you probably remember that show greatest sports legends with george plimpton..they had willie mays on one show..and..I never saw him play in his prime..but..if you see some of the catches he makes in candelstick in the 60's on that show..it makes griffey jr and edmunds look like a can of corn..on one catch he isn't even in the picture..they show the rightfielder going back to the wall and a blur flies through the air and catches the ball and crashes into that chain link fence they used to have at candelstick..HE WAS AMAZING!!!

All Pro
    Anyone know how long this bad blood has been going on between the Yankees and Mets fans? I mean I don't recall it back in the 70's or 80's. We pretty much ignored one another, being in different leagues. Anyone remember when all this BS started?
    What bad blood ,it's all one way. I have yet met a Yankee fan who hates the
    Mets.

Banned
    it was started my the met fans right after 96 obviously..

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    I will tell you what..on the mets I liked len dykstra..but...you probably remember that show greatest sports legends with george plimpton..they had willie mays on one show..and..I never saw him play in his prime..but..if you see some of the catches he makes in candelstick in the 60's on that show..it makes griffey jr and edmunds look like a can of corn..on one catch he isn't even in the picture..they show the rightfielder going back to the wall and a blur flies through the air and catches the ball and crashes into that chain link fence they used to have at candelstick..HE WAS AMAZING!!!
    I agree, unfortunately, the Say Hey Kid, was on his way out when I was growing up. I was 10 in 1967, just realizing how great some of these "older" current players like Mantle, Mays and Maris were. I remember watching Bob Gibson pitch against the Tigers in the World Series on TV. Man was he awesome. Total control of his pitches, the man was one helluva pitcher!

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    What bad blood ,it's all one way. I have yet met a Yankee fan who hates the
    Mets.
    Sure seems like it's going both ways on this board.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    it was started my the met fans right after 96 obviously..
    Oh of course, how stupid of me!

All Pro
    Sure seems like it's going both ways on this board.
    If met fans gonna start it , were gonna finish it. Plain and Simple. But most of us rather get in it with Levy , because he's a Sox fan.I don't hate the Mets, the
    also rep the city I love..

All League
    The rivalry obvioulsy started in the late 90s when the Yanks were winning the WS and then reached it's pinnacle in the 2000 WS.

Met fans hate the Yankees because of their success, and handing them defeat in their chance to win a title. They also hate Yankee fans because of the pride their fans show, and the inevitable bunch of "bandwagon" fans that glom on to a winner and ruin it for the real Yankee fans.

I really encourage Met fans to do some soul searching here and think how busting with pride they will be if their current team goes on to win 4 of the next 5 WS, including one over the Yankees! Think about how happy you would be. Be honest with yourselves, you would be donned in Met gear from head to toe and never let anyone hear the end of it. It's just human nature.