Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. Computer buffs...I need your help

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

O.T. Computer buffs...I need your help

Going either tonight or tomorrow to get either an iMac or Macbook...what do you guys reccomend as far performance is concerned?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Penny2Coles]Going either tonight or tomorrow to get either an iMac or Macbook...what do you guys reccomend as far performance is concerned?[/QUOTE]

dude.I had all kinds of problems with an apple/mac laptop..and the tech service sucked..I returned it and got a dell laptop..performance wise..mac/apple has the best software/hardware on the planet..

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't download anything Atlanta Braves related, it's sure to mess it up! :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet]I wouldn't download anything Atlanta Braves related, it's sure to mess it up! :D[/QUOTE]

it might give Met fans 14 straight viruses :cool:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]dude.I had all kinds of problems with an apple/mac laptop..and the tech service sucked..I returned it and got a dell laptop..performance wise..mac/apple has the best software/hardware on the planet..[/QUOTE]

the laptops seem kind of expensive...and not much to chose from...have you heard anything on the iMac's?

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Penny2Coles]it might give Met fans 14 straight viruses :cool:[/QUOTE]
    Been there, done that.............trying to shake it this year! :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Penny2Coles]the laptops seem kind of expensive...and not much to chose from...have you heard anything on the iMac's?[/QUOTE]

I would go with the mini mac..it's small..cheap..and you can upgrade it anytime you want..I wouldn't buy a laptop..

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Penny2Coles]the laptops seem kind of expensive...and not much to chose from...have you heard anything on the iMac's?[/QUOTE]
    Im a computer teacher, and my whole class is filled with old IMac's and newer EMac's. Personally, I'm not a fan of them but their very simple and easy to use, especailly for the kids.
    On my desk is a G5, those are very nice and run almost like a PC. It comes with a lot and is simple to use. They are a little pricey though.
    As for laptops, Im not familiar with the newer Macbooks but the whole faculty, including myself have IBook's and I love them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JustinSane4life]Im a computer teacher, and my whole class is filled with old IMac's and newer EMac's. Personally, I'm not a fan of them but their very simple and easy to use, especailly for the kids.
    On my desk is a G5, those are very nice and run almost like a PC. It comes with a lot and is simple to use. They are a little pricey though.
    As for laptops, Im not familiar with the newer Macbooks but the whole faculty, including myself have IBook's and I love them.[/QUOTE]

thanks and welcome! Im going to school to become a teacher as well...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]I would go with the mini mac..it's small..cheap..and you can upgrade it anytime you want..I wouldn't buy a laptop..[/QUOTE]

what do you mean upgrade...?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Penny2Coles]what do you mean upgrade...?[/QUOTE]

I mean if you buy the mini mac a monitor and keyboard..and in lets say 5 years you want something newer/faster..you only have to buy the tower/computer..follow..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since Apple recently switched to Intel, I would wait until RevB Macbooks come out before purchasing. The iMac is a sweet computer--if you like All-in-One desktops. When you buy, either get extra ram from apple (should have at least 1GB in any apple computer ideally) or get the minimal and buy your own from newegg.com or whatever.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would get a Dell Inspiron dual core mobile specs:

ntel Core processor Duo T2300 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
    512MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ, 1 DIMM
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    60GB Sata Hard Drive
    Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    FREE! 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Integrated Audio
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
    53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support

Slickdeals.net had it listed for $664.00 two days ago.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RMJK]I would get a Dell Inspiron dual core mobile specs:

ntel Core processor Duo T2300 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
    512MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ, 1 DIMM
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    60GB Sata Hard Drive
    Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    FREE! 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Integrated Audio
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
    53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support

Slickdeals.net had it listed for $664.00 two days ago.[/QUOTE]

i had dells my whole life and i hate them now since you have to call india in order to recieve support.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    with dell you get what you pay for..........crap.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sit here and type on my new macbook pro... its pretty sweet. The speed and power is great, dual 2.16, 1Gb ram, 100Gb HD... but its still a bit buggy... and because the switch to intel is so new, some of the software is not yet available. I still believe it is a worthwhile investment as all of the software is on its way and its power is pretty much unparalleled.

You'll get a lot more going with the macbook, but if you need to load it up with pirated software and have it fully functional tomorrow, than the iMac is the answer. If you can wait a couple of months to have everything you need, then you're good.

I really like this machine... but I'm by no means an authority, this is my first laptop, and my previous computer was a first gen G4. It's a little old these days.

I havent had any problem with apple help in my time with them... and i'd have to agree with whats said before... dude, dont get a dell.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EricYellin]I sit here and type on my new macbook pro... its pretty sweet. The speed and power is great, dual 2.16, 1Gb ram, 100Gb HD... but its still a bit buggy... and because the switch to intel is so new, some of the software is not yet available. I still believe it is a worthwhile investment as all of the software is on its way and its power is pretty much unparalleled.

You'll get a lot more going with the macbook, but if you need to load it up with pirated software and have it fully functional tomorrow, than the iMac is the answer. If you can wait a couple of months to have everything you need, then you're good.

I really like this machine... but I'm by no means an authority, this is my first laptop, and my previous computer was a first gen G4. It's a little old these days.

I havent had any problem with apple help in my time with them... and i'd have to agree with whats said before... dude, dont get a dell.[/QUOTE]

no way...im done with Dell. Eric...what did you mean by your comment about pirated software?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Penny2Coles]no way...im done with Dell. Eric...what did you mean by your comment about pirated software?[/QUOTE]

i am glad you like it.....however i think all this first gen stuff...like the intel mac....color ipod (when it first came out)...just prove to be too unreliable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=emslave]i am glad you like it.....however i think all this first gen stuff...like the intel mac....color ipod (when it first came out)...just prove to be too unreliable.[/QUOTE]

what?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a computer buff. Here is my advice to you:

Do not purchase an Apple computer. Buy a Windows PC instead.

SAR I