Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. Computer buffs...I need your help

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bill parcells]dude.I had all kinds of problems with an apple/mac laptop..and the tech service sucked..I returned it and got a dell laptop..performance wise..mac/apple has the best software/hardware on the planet..[/QUOTE]
    that's odd, apple is known to be one of the better ones on tech support - one of the few who don't stick you with someone reading from a manual in india.

as for the choice, if you don't need portability, get the imac. more power is more power. either way (all-in-one or laptop) you're upgrade-limited, but with current gen. external interfaces like firewire/usb2, that's not the problem it used to be. and at least apple was smart enough to allow for pretty large max RAM and really good graphics controllers in these things, the two things you can't get externally.
    Last edited by isired; 06-03-2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: misread original post, thought he was deciding between ibook and macbook

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I]I am a computer buff. Here is my advice to you:

Do not purchase an Apple computer. Buy a Windows PC instead.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    SAR, i hate to say it, but with some of the questions you've asked on here re: computers (storage, video, etc) i don't think you should be giving advice.

PS if you had an iMac or a macbook in your bedroom, you'd have everything you need to solve your video problem.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RMJK]I would get a Dell Inspiron dual core mobile specs:

ntel Core processor Duo T2300 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
    512MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ, 1 DIMM
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    60GB Sata Hard Drive
    Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    FREE! 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Integrated Audio
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
    53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support

Slickdeals.net had it listed for $664.00 two days ago.[/QUOTE]
    have they gotten lighter? some people in my office have inspirons with smaller HD's, smaller screens, and less features than my powerbook and they weigh like 3-5 lbs more... too much for a laptop if you'll carry it around every day.

if you're not getting a mac laptop, get either a sony - the mac of the pc world (comes with all of the ports/software you'll need to run your music, photos, video, DVD, etc.) or an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad, the best value right now in the PC market...

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=isired]SAR, i hate to say it, but with some of the questions you've asked on here re: computers (storage, video, etc) i don't think you should be giving advice.

PS if you had an iMac or a macbook in your bedroom, you'd have everything you need to solve your video problem.[/QUOTE]

LOL. My questions were on how to sneak a high-quality hi-res webcam USB'd into a notebook into my bedroom. I have no experience in that area, as I've never needed to record video via a cam and notebook before.

Regarding PC's and Mac's, my advice is good. Limited Mac software and premature Windows compatibility doesn't make June of 2006 a great time to buy an Apple product.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I]LOL. My questions were on how to sneak a high-quality hi-res webcam USB'd into a notebook into my bedroom. I have no experience in that area, as I've never needed to record video via a cam and notebook before.

Regarding PC's and Mac's, my advice is good. Limited Mac software and premature Windows compatibility doesn't make June of 2006 a great time to buy an Apple product.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    i was thinking more in terms of the storage question you asked...

limited mac software for what? seriously, unless you're a hardcore gamer, what more could you want? there was always solid productivity, graphics and multimedia software, but when they went unix, the amount of fringe software went through the roof...

'premature'? i don't understand that...

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=isired]i was thinking more in terms of the storage question you asked...

limited mac software for what? seriously, unless you're a hardcore gamer, what more could you want? there was always solid productivity, graphics and multimedia software, but when they went unix, the amount of fringe software went through the roof...

'premature'? i don't understand that...[/QUOTE]

Oh.....the storage question was a simple one of internal vs. external hard drives......I'd never had reason to need additional drive space, so it was my first attempt.

Regarding the Mac, I'm sure you're aware that the upcoming Mac's and iBooks are going to have Intel processors so that they can run Windows. Just as Steve Jobs iPod didn't become a success until he allowed it to be PC compatible, he's finally getting the message that his tiny computer company can't become a Dell-killer until it embraces Microsoft Windows.

So the OP should be concerned about buying a Mac in June '06 because the new versions are going to have much better compatibility with PC based software......they will be able to run both the Mac OS and the Windows OS.

I can't speak for what the OP does with his computer, but with mine, my Advertising department's Mac's have all sorts of issues. They can't email me a Word document or a simple jpg without remembering to change its formatting to a "Windows" version. Lots of tweaky examples of older corporate software that isn't Mac compatible.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I]Oh.....the storage question was a simple one of internal vs. external hard drives......I'd never had reason to need additional drive space, so it was my first attempt.

Regarding the Mac, I'm sure you're aware that the upcoming Mac's and iBooks are going to have Intel processors so that they can run Windows. Just as Steve Jobs iPod didn't become a success until he allowed it to be PC compatible, he's finally getting the message that his tiny computer company can't become a Dell-killer until it embraces Microsoft Windows.

So the OP should be concerned about buying a Mac in June '06 because the new versions are going to have much better compatibility with PC based software......they will be able to run both the Mac OS and the Windows OS.

I can't speak for what the OP does with his computer, but with mine, my Advertising department's Mac's have all sorts of issues. They can't email me a Word document or a simple jpg without remembering to change its formatting to a "Windows" version. Lots of tweaky examples of older corporate software that isn't Mac compatible.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    the intel macs have been out for months... and they're not really 'windows machines' - they're tweaked for the mac OS, so though they can run windows, no one would or should buy one to run windows 24/7 - your pc software will, for the most part, run better on windows based pc's. the reason apple went to intel had more to do with the superiority of the dual core chip... the fact that they embraced the ability to dual boot, and offer 'boot camp' software themselves to allow booting into XP, is more indicative of the fact that they're confident that their OS is superior.

as for your office, you're either doing something wrong or you're using very old versions of the software. we send word, powerpoint, excel, pdf, jpeg, tiff, etc., etc., etc. all day long with no problems.

i'd have to say, with the onslaught of spyware, malware, worms, viruses, etc., June of 2006 is an excellent time to buy a mac. i can't believe people deal with that crap.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=isired]

i'd have to say, with the onslaught of spyware, malware, worms, viruses, etc., June of 2006 is an excellent time to buy a mac. i can't believe people deal with that crap.[/QUOTE]

For the record, the only reason that the Mac has been immune to the likes of spyware and viruses is because so few people use Mac's that the bad guys haven't bothered to write them for the Mac. In a year or two, that argument will be moot too.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I]For the record, the only reason that the Mac has been immune to the likes of spyware and viruses is because so few people use Mac's that the bad guys haven't bothered to write them for the Mac. In a year or two, that argument will be moot too.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    wait, sar: are you saying that with this inferior product, apple is still going to take over a significant piece of the market? wow, their advertising must be good ;) i guess you're loading up on APPL...

i think apple will always be apple; they'll never have more than 10% market share. they're not going after the mainstream market, b/c the mainstream market isn't willing to pay any sort of premium for good industrial design.

besides, as steve jobs is fond of saying, "Apple's market share is bigger than BMW's or Mercedes's or Porsche's in the automotive market. What's wrong with being Porsche or BMW or Mercedes?"

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=isired]wait, sar: are you saying that with this inferior product, apple is still going to take over a significant piece of the market? wow, their advertising must be good ;) i guess you're loading up on APPL...

i think apple will always be apple; they'll never have more than 10% market share. they're not going after the mainstream market, b/c the mainstream market isn't willing to pay any sort of premium for good industrial design.

besides, as steve jobs is fond of saying, "Apple's market share is bigger than BMW's or Mercedes's or Porsche's in the automotive market. What's wrong with being Porsche or BMW or Mercedes?"[/QUOTE]

LOL. No.....here we go:

June 4, 2006: Mac's and iBooks are "inferior" strictly because they have limited market share, thus limited software integration with their PC big brothers, and just rolled out brand new processors that will have some growing pains.

June 4, 2008: Mac's and iBooks will be the #1 computer lines sold in the US due to their great design, iTunes/iPod integration, and 100% complete dedication to the Windows OS.

Two years from now, we'll all own Apple PC's. Today, one shouldn't really own an Apple Mac.

SAR I

Banned
    [QUOTE=SAR I]LOL. No.....here we go:

June 4, 2006: Mac's and iBooks are "inferior" strictly because they have limited market share, thus limited software integration with their PC big brothers, and just rolled out brand new processors that will have some growing pains.

June 4, 2008: Mac's and iBooks will be the #1 computer lines sold in the US due to their great design, iTunes/iPod integration, and 100% complete dedication to the Windows OS.

Two years from now, we'll all own Apple PC's. Today, one shouldn't really own an Apple Mac.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

just a thought..I hope everybody knows what sar is talking about..apple and IBM worked [B]together[/B] to create that new super processor the pentium 5 or whatever it's called..it's obviously going to be windows/mac compatible..the problem being..I dont know if xp can handle the speed of the processor right now..and I think mac os can..it will all unfold when the new version of windows comes out..

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=bill parcells]just a thought..I hope everybody knows what sar is talking about..apple and IBM worked [B]together[/B] to create that new super processor the pentium 5 or whatever it's called..it's obviously going to be windows/mac compatible..the problem being..I dont know if xp can handle the speed of the processor right now..and I think mac os can..it will all unfold when the new version of windows comes out..[/QUOTE]

Yeah.....I think my positive Apple point is being lost in the negative Apple point.

They're in transition. They're (very smartly) going to offset iPod market share loss in 2008 by exploding their computer business in a similar fashion. The iPod tipping point was the (at the time) "dreaded" PC integration. When they made the iPod Windows compatible BOOM it became the #1 personal electronics product of all time.

Same thing's coming for their iBook's and Macs. They've always been "superior" in design and ease of use; they just haven't been friendly in a Windows business environment.

That'll change now.

SAR I

Banned
    here is a link to the new processor and an explanation..xp cannot handle this speed right now..mac's os can..

[url]http://www.apple.com/g5processor/[/url]
    Last edited by bill parcells; 06-04-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    again, if you truly believe that, you should be grabbing up all the APPL you can get your hands on.

but you're missing 2 fundamental pieces of the puzzle:

first, the chip the mac run on is optimized for the mac OS, and vice-versa. asking windows to run at optimal efficiancy on that same chip would require mac opening up their code, which they don't do anymore. running mac on a mactel box vs. running windows is like the difference between being 'native' in a language and learning another - you can become FLUENT in the learned language over time, but you'll always be faster in your native tongue - because you THINK in that language, and don't need to translate your thoughts.

second, the mac os is better - more intuitive (i think everyone agrees on that), more innovative (name something new to XP that, when you first used it, you loved; i'll tell you what mac architecture it was based on), more stable (only since OS X, i;ll admit). if people run out and buy macs to dual boot, they'll end up running the mac OS whenever possible, and then demanding that software makers follow them to their new platform. software makers are not loyal to bill gates; much like the virus writers, they go where the action is.

on the spyware question-- you are right to an extent, the limited marketshare of the mac means there is a smaller 'stage' for the work of such programmers, but the mac will always be better than windows because of the closed nature of the system - mac software on mac hardware. apple gave up licensing their OS forthat reason (among others), the lack of control and the need to fatten the OS to accommodate even what they considered inferior boxes.

Banned
    [QUOTE=isired]again, if you truly believe that, you should be grabbing up all the APPL you can get your hands on.

first, the chip the mac run on is optimized for the mac OS, and vice-versa. asking windows to run at optimal efficiancy on that same chip would require mac opening up their code, which they don't do anymore. running mac on a mactel box vs. running windows is like the difference between being 'native' in a language and learning another - you can become FLUENT in the learned language over time, but you'll always be faster in your native tongue - because you THINK in that language, and don't need to translate your thoughts.

second, the mac os is better - more intuitive (i think everyone agrees on that), more innovative (name something new to XP that, when you first used it, you loved; i'll tell you what mac architecture it was based on), more stable (only since OS X, i;ll admit). if people run out and buy macs to dual boot, they'll end up running the mac OS whenever possible, and then demanding that software makers follow them to their new platform. software makers are not loyal to bill gates; much like the virus writers, they go where the action is.

on the spyware question-- you are right to an extent, the limited marketshare of the mac means there is a smaller 'stage' for the work of such programmers, but the mac will always be better than windows because of the closed nature of the system - mac software on mac hardware. apple gave up licensing their OS forthat reason (among others), the lack of control and the need to fatten the OS to accommodate even what they considered inferior boxes.[/QUOTE]

all of this is true..but read my 2 posts..the new processor can handle up to 8gb of ram..and click on the link..things are going to change dramatically when the new version of windows comes out!!!it will be mac compatible..

[QUOTE=bill parcells]here is a link to the new processor and an explanation..xp cannot handle this right now..mac's os can..

[url]http://www.apple.com/g5processor/[/url][/QUOTE]
    The reason XP cannot handle that is because they arent built for it. MS-Windows is built for x86 based PC's and not PPC. PowerPC G5 is the successor to the G4 macs. But Apple has already moved on from the IBM's PowerPC architecture to the x86 architecture(the Intel/AMD PC wagon). I seriously doubt that they will go back again to IBM's architecture.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=isired]again, if you truly believe that, you should be grabbing up all the APPL you can get your hands on.

on the spyware question-- you are right to an extent, the limited marketshare of the mac means there is a smaller 'stage' for the work of such programmers, but the mac will always be better than windows because of the closed nature of the system - mac software on mac hardware. apple gave up licensing their OS forthat reason (among others), the lack of control and the need to fatten the OS to accommodate even what they considered inferior boxes.[/QUOTE]

When I first used XP I liked the interface better, enjoyed the better integration of Wireless adapters, the photo printing wizard and the integrated Remote Desktop features just to name a few. I have used Apples/MACs granted a few years ago so they may have gotten better, and they just seemed like dumbed down PCs. Oh and by the way, Apple and Apple users have been predicting the demise of Microsoft for 15-20 years and it has never happened. Gates will adapt and overcome. He will ensure his products integrate the best ideas of the MAC as always. Jobs is finally trying to gain market share but he did that a while ago when he tried to allow Motorolla to sell chips to make Apple clones and Apple screwed that up too. Give Jobs time he will screw the popularity of the IPOD up somehow too.

Banned
    [QUOTE=dubukku]The reason XP cannot handle that is because they arent built for it. MS-Windows is built for x86 based PC's and not PPC. PowerPC G5 is the successor to the G4 macs. But Apple has already moved on from the IBM's PowerPC architecture to the x86 architecture(the Intel/AMD PC wagon). I seriously doubt that they will go back again to IBM's architecture.[/QUOTE]

you are right..what I'm saying is..it's like a new car coming out from the big 5 in detroit..it's a big secret..we will find out for sure when the new version of windows comes out..thats all I said..and you have to take into consideration the ipod and it's success..and that apple could own the market anytime they wanted..if they made their pc's windows compatible..apple makes the best software and hardware on the planet..

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=dubukku]The reason XP cannot handle that is because they arent built for it. MS-Windows is built for x86 based PC's and not PPC. PowerPC G5 is the successor to the G4 macs. But Apple has already moved on from the IBM's PowerPC architecture to the x86 architecture(the Intel/AMD PC wagon). I seriously doubt that they will go back again to IBM's architecture.[/QUOTE]

The problem with the article is that they aren't comparing Apples to Apples, er, 64 bit PCs which would be the correct comparison. The is a 64 bit version of XP that runs on 64 bit processors. This would have been an acurate and fair comparison but they chose to go with the more dramatic unfair comparison expecting people not to know the facts. Convenient but wrong.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    You are confusing the OS with the processor. The MacOS is different from the WindowsOS. Till recently both were running on different processors(IBM's PPC vs Intel/AMD's x86). Apple made the switch to x86. So now we have both OSes running on same hardware. There wont be 100% dedication to the Windows OS. They are in fact trying to supplant it with OSX.Crow as they might that Apple is a hardware company, they aren't. They are competing with Microsoft on the software and media side.

That said, I personally would wait for the next generation of OSX and MacBooks. Let them iron out the kinks in their system. I am not spending my money to be their guinea pig.