Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. Computer buffs...I need your help

Jets Insider VIP
    Here is a much more fair and balance comparison with, eek, actual data. [url]http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,7,00.asp[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Trades]When I first used XP I liked the interface better, enjoyed the better integration of Wireless adapters, the photo printing wizard and the integrated Remote Desktop features just to name a few. I have used Apples/MACs granted a few years ago so they may have gotten better, and they just seemed like dumbed down PCs. Oh and by the way, Apple and Apple users have been predicting the demise of Microsoft for 15-20 years and it has never happened. Gates will adapt and overcome. He will ensure his products integrate the best ideas of the MAC as always. Jobs is finally trying to gain market share but he did that a while ago when he tried to allow Motorolla to sell chips to make Apple clones and Apple screwed that up too. Give Jobs time he will screw the popularity of the IPOD up somehow too.[/QUOTE]
    i'm not predicting the demise of microsoft, nor do i want it - but yes, the mac has had all of those features (and iPhoto, which integrates a really nice printing 'wizard', came along before the printing wizard); apple remote desktop has been aroound for a decade or more, and there's always VNC, and apple has allowed internet file sharing for at least 5 years (another advantage of lesser security concerns); as for wireless, i think both are pretty easy right now though windows definitley has the compatability edge with all but the most common systems (macs are great on apple, linksys, netgear, etc, but i think they have probs with some of the off-brand and no-name products that are much cheaper and seem to work fine on windows).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Trades]Here is a much more fair and balance comparison with, eek, actual data. [url]http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,7,00.asp[/url][/QUOTE]
    that's really really old - they talk about the 'jaguar' (10.2.) version of the mac OS and the 'upcoming' panther (10.3), which is over 2 years old - we're on 'tiger' (10.4) for a year now. and none of those pre-tiger systems ran on an intel mac. so what they're saying is that the mac was slightly slower before they got more than twice as fast, i guess ;)

[QUOTE=isired]again, if you truly believe that, you should be grabbing up all the APPL you can get your hands on.

but you're missing 2 fundamental pieces of the puzzle:

first, the chip the mac run on is optimized for the mac OS, and vice-versa. asking windows to run at optimal efficiancy on that same chip would require mac opening up their code, which they don't do anymore. running mac on a mactel box vs. running windows is like the difference between being 'native' in a language and learning another - you can become FLUENT in the learned language over time, but you'll always be faster in your native tongue - because you THINK in that language, and don't need to translate your thoughts.

second, the mac os is better - more intuitive (i think everyone agrees on that), more innovative (name something new to XP that, when you first used it, you loved; i'll tell you what mac architecture it was based on), more stable (only since OS X, i;ll admit). if people run out and buy macs to dual boot, they'll end up running the mac OS whenever possible, and then demanding that software makers follow them to their new platform. software makers are not loyal to bill gates; much like the virus writers, they go where the action is.

on the spyware question-- you are right to an extent, the limited marketshare of the mac means there is a smaller 'stage' for the work of such programmers, but the mac will always be better than windows because of the closed nature of the system - mac software on mac hardware. apple gave up licensing their OS forthat reason (among others), the lack of control and the need to fatten the OS to accommodate even what they considered inferior boxes.[/QUOTE]

In very simple language, this is my point:

"We live in a Windows OS world and a Mac OS product isn't going to be good in a business environment in 2006 just as it hasn't been good since 1986, as evidenced by it's 8% market share. Millions of Windows OS users are bored to tears with their boring beige-box PC and laptops and are very excited about buying an Apple PC when it truly is a PC running a Windows OS and not a Mac running the Apple OS."

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    On slickdeals.net they have Dell laptops about once a week and about once a month they have a super deal. I bought my laptop last January for $380 and a Dell Inspiron with 1 GB ram, DVD burner, wifi, 14inch active matrix lcd, 40 GB hard drive and Windows XP OS. Any place else this PC sell for over $800.00 .

I use the PC on the coach everyday while watch baseball games etc. My wife wants hers for her DJ and I'm getting ready to get one. I want to spend under $1000 but it has to be dual core and loaded for her DJing stuff.

I've looked at Apple laptops and they start about $1300 which is great if you have to have one, but if you want to buy several Dell is the way to go for cost effectiveness.

Banned
    [QUOTE=emslave]i am glad you like it.....however i think all this first gen stuff...like the intel mac....color ipod (when it first came out)...just prove to be too unreliable.[/QUOTE]

To emslave: I like it, yes, and I may have bought it a bit prematurely, but my computer is biting it hardcore... and i bought it the day before i graduated so that I could still get a $200 student discount. This is also the 2nd gen, or atleast gen 1.5... they fixed the major bugs, sure there are a few things, but I wouldnt worry about it too much.

To Penny2Coles: what i mean by pirated software, is stuff you download as opposed to pay for. If you need to fill the computer with software immediately (that you dont plan on paying for) than the iMac is the way to go. What do you plan on using it for, that is the important question that no one has asked, and then someone would be better equipted to give you guidance.

To SAR I: I agree with you that for the generic user, a PC might be a better product for the general user, but for those of us "art people", the mac is by far and away better. Granted Photoshop will take time to come out on the Macbook, but last year I probably logged close to 60 hours a week on Final Cut Pro, so Mac is obviously the only way to go.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I]Millions of Windows OS users are bored to tears with their boring beige-box PC and laptops and are very excited about buying an Apple PC when it truly is a PC running a Windows OS and not a Mac running the Apple OS[/QUOTE]
    they'll be waiting a long time... apple is not going to become a pure hardware company - their hardware has always been secondary to their software... itunes was around long before the ipod, tiger came out long before intel chips were available (even in dev boxes), etc. it only makes sense - you have very little edge in hardware, look at all the imitators, even on the ipod - what keeps it ahead is itunes and the music store. and believe me, if you dual boot, you'll be using your ipod with the mac version of itunes, it's leaps better... as is imovie vs. windows movie maker, iphoto vs. the photo folders/printer wizard, etc.

Banned
    [QUOTE=SAR I]I am a computer buff. Here is my advice to you:

Do not purchase an Apple computer. Buy a Windows PC instead.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Why?

Banned
    [QUOTE=EricYellin]To emslave: I like it, yes, and I may have bought it a bit prematurely, but my computer is biting it hardcore... and i bought it the day before i graduated so that I could still get a $200 student discount. This is also the 2nd gen, or atleast gen 1.5... they fixed the major bugs, sure there are a few things, but I wouldnt worry about it too much.

To Penny2Coles: what i mean by pirated software, is stuff you download as opposed to pay for. If you need to fill the computer with software immediately (that you dont plan on paying for) than the iMac is the way to go. What do you plan on using it for, that is the important question that no one has asked, and then someone would be better equipted to give you guidance.

To SAR I: I agree with you that for the generic user, a PC might be a better product for the general user, but for those of us "art people", the mac is by far and away better. Granted Photoshop will take time to come out on the Macbook, but last year I probably logged close to 60 hours a week on Final Cut Pro, so Mac is obviously the only way to go.[/QUOTE]

so what you are saying is a Macbook Pro cant handle pirated software?

Banned
    Isired...
    I heard it is possible to run windows on a Macbook...and heard that "boot camp" term before..can you explain a little bit what thats about and if that will harm the computer?

I was at the apple store in the King of Prussia mall last weekend lookin at MacBooks. They seem like really decent machines and I'll be looking to buy one in the next few weeks. I won't be using them for any hardcore business purposes, but they do have perfect versions of Word and Excel. You can also partition the harddrive so that half of it runs Mac OS and the other half runs Windows. Sounds good to me.

Apple vs PC

I dont believe that Apple provided bad service since they are one of the few that has not outsourced it's tech support to India. Dell's are cheap and problem prone. A MAC laptop is the best laptop to purchase. Windows has lots of prpblems and with Apple's Boot Camp you can run Windows if you need too and run it faster.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Penny2Coles]Isired...
    I heard it is possible to run windows on a Macbook...and heard that "boot camp" term before..can you explain a little bit what thats about and if that will harm the computer?[/QUOTE]
    "boot camp" is an [i]apple[/i] product that allows you to boot into windows xp sp2 - provided you own a copy of it to install. it doesn't harm the machine a bit. the only caveat is, if you're really looking to run windows mainly, don't do it this way - the only windows app that ran consistently better on the mactel box was photoshop, and even there i see no reason when the mac version of photoshop, even in non-native mode, runs faster under the mac os.

but if you are a graphics pro, i would definitely wait until adobe comes out with products that run natively on these new macs before i buy one - there's a reason why the industry standard graphics box, the G5, hasn't gone intel yet...

[QUOTE=Penny2Coles]Why?[/QUOTE]

If you read the entire thread, you'll see that some of us believe that Apple is morphing itself into a hardware-based PC company (as opposed to a software and hardware based-Mac company) and that the current generation of Mac/iBook products are a 'tweener' as they figure out their future strategy.

Read this too:

[url]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1923151,00.asp[/url]

Quote: "The first was that the Apple Switch ad campaign was over, and nobody switched. The second was that the iPod lost its FireWire connector because the PC world was the new target audience. Also, although the iPod was designed to get people to move to the Mac, this didn't happen. And, of course, that Apple had switched to the Intel microprocessor."

Quote: "Apple has always said it was a hardware company, not a software company. Now with the cash cow iPod line, it can afford to drop expensive OS development and just make jazzy, high-margin Windows computers to finally get beyond that five-percent market share and compete directly with Dell, HP, and the stodgy Chinese makers."

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 06-04-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=SAR I]If you read the entire thread, you'll see that some of us believe that Apple is morphing itself into a hardware-based PC company (as opposed to a software and hardware based-Mac company) and that the current generation of Mac/iBook products are a 'tweener' as they figure out their future strategy.

Read this too:

[url]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1923151,00.asp[/url]

Quote: "Apple has always said it was a hardware company, not a software company. Now with the cash cow iPod line, it can afford to drop expensive OS development and just make jazzy, high-margin Windows computers to finally get beyond that five-percent market share and compete directly with Dell, HP, and the stodgy Chinese makers."

SAR I[/QUOTE]

good homework sar!!!!if apple adopts windows..they will [B]own[/B] the pc hardware market..

[QUOTE=bill parcells]good homework sar!!!!if apple adopts windows..they will [B]own[/B] the pc hardware market..[/QUOTE]

If you've got an iPod, check out Dvorak's podcasts. Notably, [I]This Week In Tech[/I].

SAR I

Banned
    [QUOTE=SAR I]If you've got an iPod, check out Dvorak's podcasts. Notably, [I]This Week In Tech[/I].

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I have an ipod..4th gen..no video..I dont ever do the podcast thing..do you mean on itunes???

Banned
    [QUOTE=Penny2Coles]so what you are saying is a Macbook Pro cant handle pirated software?[/QUOTE]

no, it can handle it, its just not all available yet, because its so new. Give it time... Adobe will be about a year though... but im sure you can get office, and stuff now...

[QUOTE=bill parcells]I have an ipod..4th gen..no video..I dont ever do the podcast thing..do you mean on itunes???[/QUOTE]

Whoa.....this is going to be a bunch of fun for you if you like talk radio. I haven't listened to a radio talk show of any type (except WFAN) in almost a year due to the discovery of Podcasts.

In iTunes, on the left side you'll see the Music Store. Click that.

On the next page, you'll see a blue bar with a section called "Podcasts". Click that.

On the page that comes up, you'll see the Top 20 Podcasts on the right side. Scroll down to the link that says Top 100 Podcasts. Click that.

You're now looking at the 100 most popular 'radio shows' of very specific content for specific fans of specific topics. #21 is This Week In Tech and it's my favorite. Gets me caught up in everything techy in a given week, produced by Leo Laporte from TechTV. If you're a fan of the TV show Lost, the fans have put together a podcast for it. When I travel internationally, I subscribe to the CNN podcast as they update the news every 20 minutes. You can leave the Top 100 and search for any topic you like....old cars, Rolling Stone magazine interviews (the Lennon and Bono ones were priceless) etc.

Best of all, the Podcasts are free. Simply subscribe to the 2 or 3 that you like, and instead of listening to music in your car or on the train you can listen to a radio show on a specific topic you like.....give it a try.

SAR I

Banned
    [QUOTE=SAR I]Whoa.....this is going to be a bunch of fun for you if you like talk radio. I haven't listened to a radio talk show of any type (except WFAN) in almost a year due to the discovery of Podcasts.

In iTunes, on the left side you'll see the Music Store. Click that.

On the next page, you'll see a blue bar with a section called "Podcasts". Click that.

On the page that comes up, you'll see the Top 20 Podcasts on the right side. Scroll down to the link that says Top 100 Podcasts. Click that.

You're now looking at the 100 most popular 'radio shows' of very specific content for specific fans of specific topics. #21 is This Week In Tech and it's my favorite. Gets me caught up in everything techy in a given week, produced by Leo Laporte from TechTV. If you're a fan of the TV show Lost, the fans have put together a podcast for it. When I travel internationally, I subscribe to the CNN podcast as they update the news every 20 minutes. You can leave the Top 100 and search for any topic you like....old cars, Rolling Stone magazine interviews (the Lennon and Bono ones were priceless) etc.

Best of all, the Podcasts are free. Simply subscribe to the 2 or 3 that you like, and instead of listening to music in your car or on the train you can listen to a radio show on a specific topic you like.....give it a try.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty cool... I've never used podcasting... going to have to try it soon i guess... I just use it for my absurdly eclectic tastes in music.