Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: O.T. Computer buffs...I need your help

[QUOTE=Penny2Coles]dont hate because we got your woman to switch :cool:[/QUOTE]

No hate.....as I told her, for her future profession she made a good choice. A schoolteacher doing some light Word and websurfing and email can do that just as well on a Mac as a Winbox.

If she were going into business, very different story.

SAR I

[QUOTE=isired]

here's a quote that IS actually in the article he linked:[/QUOTE]

Tha article also points out that Jobs was so blinded by the pretty menus and the sweet mouse that he missed the chance to steal the Ethernet from Xerox. I thought that was funny.

Mac's are very s l o w . Do the Intel Macs make things faster?

SAR I

Banned
    [QUOTE=EricYellin]Very true... you're a good kid, sounds like your dad raised you right.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Eric...I like to think so...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I]Tha article also points out that Jobs was so blinded by the pretty menus and the sweet mouse that he missed the chance to steal the Ethernet from Xerox. I thought that was funny.

Mac's are very s l o w . Do the Intel Macs make things faster?

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    SAR, your art department must still be rocking power pc's. your knowledge is so warped. my dual g5 can render 5 minutes of multi-layer/multi-effects video (that's 10,000 images) [i]in HD[/i] in less than a minute in final cut. that used to take HOURS a mere 5 years ago on either platform (using premiere on a PC).

[URL=http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6484737.html]here are some benchmarks[/URL] for you. and keep in mind wherever they're equal, the macbook is in a different class than the PC's it's being compared to - it's a full pound lighter and has more batterylife. all else equal, it's getting more speed from less energy.

Banned
    [QUOTE=isired]SAR, your art department must still be rocking power pc's. your knowledge is so warped. my dual g5 can render 5 minutes of multi-layer/multi-effects video (that's 10,000 images) [i]in HD[/i] in less than a minute in final cut. that used to take HOURS a mere 5 years ago on either platform (using premiere on a PC).

[URL=http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6484737.html]here are some benchmarks[/URL] for you. and keep in mind wherever they're equal, the macbook is in a different class than the PC's it's being compared to - it's a full pound lighter and has more batterylife. all else equal, it's getting more speed from less energy.[/QUOTE]

that link answered every question I was going to ask..
    thank you!!!

Banned
    I need a little guidance here...

I want to purchase a laptop in the near future..2-3 months from now..
    I have heard how great the macbook pro is..but..I am mostly going to use the laptop for surfing the internet..dvd ripping and burning and playing dvd's when traveling.. and I really dont like safari for browsing the web..

With that said,if I purchase a windows based laptop should I..
    A)buy what I want now with a windows xp OS
    B) or wait until windows vista comes out early next year??

any input would be greatly appreciated..

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]I need a little guidance here...

I want to purchase a laptop in the near future..2-3 months from now..
    I have heard how great the macbook pro is..but..I am mostly going to use the laptop for surfing the internet..dvd ripping and burning and playing dvd's when traveling.. and I really dont like safari for browsing the web..

With that said,if I purchase a windows based laptop should I..
    A)buy what I want now with a windows xp OS
    B) or wait until windows vista comes out early next year??

any input would be greatly appreciated..[/QUOTE]
    Depends on how bad you need...The thing with tech is the longer you wait the more machine you get for your money.,..So you may wait for the new IS but end up getting a machine that's a bunch more powerful too....Of coarse is Vista is a bigger hog then XP, the benefits of the extra hardware could be erased...

Banned
    [QUOTE=ChanTheMaster]Depends on how bad you need...The thing with tech is the longer you wait the more machine you get for your money.,..So you may wait for the new IS but end up getting a machine that's a bunch more powerful too....Of coarse is Vista is a bigger hog then XP, the benefits of the extra hardware could be erased...[/QUOTE]

I can wait..I am in no hurry..
    I just want to make the right decision at the right time..
    so I get the most bang for my buck..

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]I can wait..I am in no hurry..
    I just want to make the right decision at the right time..
    so I get the most bang for my buck..[/QUOTE]
    I Vista is a big pig, you may have to buy a lot more machine to get acceptable performance...I know from personal experience that far too many MS developers rely on ever increasing hardware performance to cover programming inefficiencies...

Banned
    [QUOTE=ChanTheMaster]I Vista is a big pig, you may have to buy a lot more machine to get acceptable performance...I know from personal experience that far too many MS developers rely on ever increasing hardware performance to cover programming inefficiencies...[/QUOTE]

thank you..you have answered my question..and..they will probably have to take some time to work out any new bugs in vista too..
    thank you..
    just wanted to make sure..

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]thank you..you have answered my question..and..they will probably have to take some time to work out any new bugs in vista too..
    thank you..
    just wanted to make sure..[/QUOTE]
    It's always hard because the tech changes so frequently. Experiance though shows that new OS usually means a lot more machine needed to run well.. I'm sure there's people on here that no the answer to that question for sure though...I stopped paying attention a few years ago.. :)