Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankee fans answer this please

Yankee fans answer this please

I've seen many mentions of the Mets' "collapses" over our history.

When did they occur?

I don't seem to remember them.

A few Yankee fans like to dream; They know who they are..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    I've seen many mentions of the Mets' "collapses" over our history.

When did they occur?

I don't seem to remember them.

it seemed every year under the ''legendary piazza era'' the mets had a ''september swoon'' in which ''americas team'' the atlanta braves would put a nail in the mets coffin for the division.during the ''september swoon'',legendary closer ''the unhittable armando benitez''would blow numerous saves,piazza would go 0 forf 98 and they would lose like 11 out of 12.another reason to blame the mets..had the mets won the division at least one time during that ''legendary piazza era''I wouldn't have to hear this crap about the braves winning the division 16 times in a row or whatever it is..

Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    it seemed every year under the ''legendary piazza era'' the mets had a ''september swoon'' in which ''americas team'' the atlanta braves would put a nail in the mets coffin for the division.during the ''september swoon'',legendary closer ''the unhittable armando benitez''would blow numerous saves,piazza would go 0 forf 98 and they would lose like 11 out of 12.another reason to blame the mets..had the mets won the division at least one time during that ''legendary piazza era''I wouldn't have to hear this crap about the braves winning the division 16 times in a row or whatever it is..
    Sept record in the "Piazza Era" with something on the line.

2005- 13-15, they were a .500 team
    2001-16-5, not bad for a .500 team almost got back into the race
    2000- 14-14, still won the WC regardless
    1999- 13-13, see above
    1998- 12-12, we had a chance at the WC but lost our last 5 games

Collapse?

Banned

1999- 13-13, see above

Collapse?
    well..I am telling you that giving the whole month is misleading..
    they could have went 7-1 and then went 6-13..if you can give me a day to day breakdown in 99 I would like to see it..and the bottom line is they never won the division during that time..they won the wild card..and that is not an impressive record for a playoff team in september..should we compare the yanks september 1997 record??the last time the yanks were a wildcard team??that I would like to see..

they could have went 7-1 and then went 6-13..if you can give me a day to day breakdown in 99 I would like to see it..and the bottom line is they never won the division during that time..they won the wild card..and that is not an impressive record for a playoff team in september..should we compare the yanks september 1997 record??the last time the yanks were a wildcard team??that I would like to see..
    the yankees were 17-11 in september 1997.
    the 99 mets started off hot in september wining 9 of their first 12 and 12 of their first 17. they then proceeded to lose 8 of the last 9 games, including 7 straight (6 games against atlanta, 3 against phili). they managed to pull off the sweep of pittsburgh at home to salvage the season at the start october, which forced a one game playoff against cincy. they won that game and clinched the wild card.

..should we compare the yanks september 1997 record??the last time the yanks were a wildcard team??that I would like to see..
    Why are you comparing the Yankees and the Mets?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jvill 51
    the 99 mets started off hot in september wining 9 of their first 12 and 12 of their first 17. they then proceeded to lose 8 of the last 9 games, including 7 straight (6 games against atlanta, 3 against phili). they managed to pull off the sweep of pittsburgh at home to salvage the season at the start october, which forced a one game playoff against cincy. they won that game and clinched the wild card.
    damn jvill..thank you..I knew that was the year..99..I was right..

Banned
    Why are you comparing the Yankees and the Mets?
    ok..I wont..the mets lost 7 in a row in sep 99..sorry..

Fair enough, but a collapse is losing a 10 game lead over a month, or leading a series 3-0..... forget it.

When you are chasing a team ahead of you and fall out of gas that isn't a collapse.

Banned
    Fair enough, but a collapse is losing a 10 game lead over a month, or leading a series 3-0..... forget it.

When you are chasing a team ahead of you and fall out of gas that isn't a collapse.
    uuummm..ok..

1999- 13-13, see above

Collapse?
    you wouldn't call 98 a collapse?? they entered the last 5 games with a one game lead over chicago and 3 game lead over san francisco. they lost the wild card by one game. that would be the only collapse i see, as they still made the playoffs in 99.

you wouldn't call 98 a collapse?? they entered the last 5 games with a one game lead over chicago and 3 game lead over san francisco. they lost the wild card by one game. that would be the only collapse i see, as they still made the playoffs in 99.
    Fine, but some posters say "EVERY YEAR" the Mets have a September collapse, which is completely and utterly false.

i'll agree with you there, as they still managed to get a playoff berth.

Fine, but some posters say "EVERY YEAR" the Mets have a September collapse, which is completely and utterly false.
    yes some do say that and yes it is completely false.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

1999- 13-13, see above

Collapse?
    98' could have been considered a collapse. i believe we had a couple of game lead in the WC race and we lost 2 to the Expos (a terrible team that year) and then got swept by the Braves (i recall a miserable baserunning mistake by Jay Payton --stands out in my mind for some reason).

If we won 1 of those last 5, we would have tied for the WC.

Edit: Didn't see this discussed above

didn't the yankees lose like 12 of 14 at the end of the 2000 regular season? i knwo they won rhe series that year, but it still wasn't an impressive close to the season was it?

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    didn't the yankees lose like 12 of 14 at the end of the 2000 regular season? i knwo they won rhe series that year, but it still wasn't an impressive close to the season was it?
    no, it wasn't. they only made the playoffs because boston couldn't take advantage of the yankees slide. but, since they still wound up winning it, i wouldn't call it a collapse. see the above, where i said you can't really call 99 a collapse, unless you expected a division title from the mets. 98 i consider a collapse.

Banned
    hhhmmm..why do I think this is directed at me..I only said during the piazza era..met fans have every right to be elated with the way they are playing..
    but..some met fans always..even when they are doing well..BRING UP THE YANKEES..and..I was responding to that..it really doesn't bother me that the mets are doing well..I am happy for the met fans..really..

hhhmmm..why do I think this is directed at me..I only said during the piazza era..met fans have every right to be elated with the way they are playing..
    but..some met fans always..even when they are doing well..BRING UP THE YANKEES..and..I was responding to that..it really doesn't bother me that the mets are doing well..I am happy for the met fans..really..
    Can we really believe you or is it: