Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Met fans: Yanks vs Phils

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Met fans: Yanks vs Phils

OK--theres lots here about Met fans hating Yankee fans and vice versa.

Next week the Yanks play the Phils. We (Met fan here) need to root for the Yanks. In order to avoid the inner turmoil that this will create I will not be tuning in (Mets/Reds will be on simutaneously).

I'm curious though, are there any Met fans out there who will be rooting for the Phils?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36
    OK--theres lots here about Met fans hating Yankee fans and vice versa.

Next week the Yanks play the Phils. We (Met fan here) need to root for the Yanks. In order to avoid the inner turmoil that this will create I will not be tuning in (Mets/Reds will be on simutaneously).

I'm curious though, are there any Met fans out there who will be rooting for the Phils?
    I will be rooting for the Yankees.

The only team I could never root for is the Rangers. Anyone else --the Pats, Fins, Yankees, Braves, etc. I can root for, if necessary.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is a no-brainer. i want the yankees to sweep. i might not like the yanks, but if they can help make our quest for the play-offs easier then you have to hope they succeed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only time I root against the Yanks is when they play the Mets.

And I also root for my beloved RANGERS. Sometimes I even root for the fishsticks but never for the debbies.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could care less about what the Yankees are doing, I always root for whoever plays another NL East team beside the Mets.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Let's go Yankees!!!!!!

I know that alot of Yankee fans are going to root for the Mets next week when we play the Sawx..............

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Valid question, but any Mets fan that would root for the Phills in this situation is cracked out. LETS GO YANKEES!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Pffft. Phils are 9.5 games back and the way they field their positions, you can put it in the books. Go Phils!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be rooting for the Mets when they play the Red Sox, no doubt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    The only time I root against the Yanks is when they play the Mets.
    Mee too. It makes no sense to ever root against the Yankees, unless of course they're playing the Mets.

The Mets Swept the Phillies... I hope the Yankees do the same and crush their spirit !!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    Pffft. Phils are 9.5 games back and the way they field their positions, you can put it in the books. Go Phils!
    In June? Wasn't there a great comeback by the Mets awhile back, by further than 9 games and in August and not June? Not over until its over.

For example, look at Cincinatti. They won EIGHT games in a row, and then lost what, 5 straight, before today? If you root for the Phillies, and they somehow win 5 games in a row, while the Mets lose 5 games in a row, are you that confident? Teams go on losing streaks after looking unbeatable... ask Cincinatti.

Anyways, hell yeah I'll root for the Mets against the Red Sox. The Mets don't mean ANYTHING to the Yankees playoffs. If anything, having the Mets have a bigger lead HELPS in July, when the Yankees play the Mets. If the Mets have a 15 game lead or something like that, you can bet the game won't mean as much to the Mets as the Yankees.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    If the Mets have a 15 game lead or something like that, you can bet the game won't mean as much to the Mets as the Yankees.
    Do you really believe that? I think the cross town rivalry is so big it matters to both teams no matter where either one stands in their division........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go Yanks! at least vs. the Phils.

As for Mets-Yanks rivalry, I think it means a whole lot more to the fans than the players. Most of the players, I would think, look at it as just another 3-game series to win.

Hopefully the players dont "let down" just because they're up X amount of games in their own division. I want to see them rip the hearts out of the next closest team and finish 30 games up!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet
    Go Yanks! at least vs. the Phils.

As for Mets-Yanks rivalry, I think it means a whole lot more to the fans than the players. Most of the players, I would think, look at it as just another 3-game series to win.

Hopefully the players dont "let down" just because they're up X amount of games in their own division. I want to see them rip the hearts out of the next closest team and finish 30 games up!!!
    I agree with Brooklyn Jet. It means a lot more to the fans than the players. However, with all the young players on both teams, I think it means more than the players than it has to them in a long time, since they obviously pay attention to the newspapers and fans, unlike the veterans. However, I think the team as a whole cares a lot more about their NL opponents regardless.

I know the players won't let down, especially in July, but they won't be nearly as desperate like a team competing hard to win a division.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    In June? Wasn't there a great comeback by the Mets awhile back, by further than 9 games and in August and not June? Not over until its over.

For example, look at Cincinatti. They won EIGHT games in a row, and then lost what, 5 straight, before today? If you root for the Phillies, and they somehow win 5 games in a row, while the Mets lose 5 games in a row, are you that confident? Teams go on losing streaks after looking unbeatable... ask Cincinatti.

Anyways, hell yeah I'll root for the Mets against the Red Sox. The Mets don't mean ANYTHING to the Yankees playoffs. If anything, having the Mets have a bigger lead HELPS in July, when the Yankees play the Mets. If the Mets have a 15 game lead or something like that, you can bet the game won't mean as much to the Mets as the Yankees.
    Yeah, I know, but have you seen the Phils' defense? You're just not gonna win playing the field like that. You won't see them roll off 8 in a row.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm rooting for the Yankees as long as it doesn't involve the Mets;however, at one point in my life I hated the Yanks. For some reason, I don't feel that way any more.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So much for rooting for the Yanks. All this talk about how the NL East sucks, and here is Philly beating up on the Yanks.

Figures. Just when they could help the Mets they go in the tank...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    So much for rooting for the Yanks. All this talk about how the NL East sucks, and here is Philly beating up on the Yanks.

Figures. Just when they could help the Mets they go in the tank...
    Don't root, just handle your own business without looking for help. And the nl east do SUCKS...