Thread: Exciting article for a Mets fan.

Jets Insider VIP

Exciting article for a Mets fan.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-360528c.html
    See you in October

Hey, Omar: start making playoff plans for Mets

In the aftermath of Omar Minaya's second whirlwind winter of wheeling and dealing, adding Carlos Delgado, Billy Wagner, Paul Lo Duca et al to his Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran booty of the year before, it looked as if the Mets had a chance to be pretty good this season, but did anyone think they'd be this good? As in good enough to have the National League East all but wrapped up by Father's Day?

Their remarkable, record-setting 9-1 road trip notwithstanding, no one around the Mets is willing to even whisper any of the "P" words, so let's do it for them: The pennant is won and it's time to start formulating postseason plans. Mind you, this is only because, even if the Mets start hitting some inevitable speed bumps in the form of injuries or slumps, it has become quite clear that there is no team in the NL East capable of making any kind of run at them. The pitching-and-defense-challenged Phillies exposed themselves as a going-nowhere team last week, and the perennial champion Braves, eight games under .500 entering the weekend, are doomed to never recover because of the worst bullpen in the NL.

"If this were September or October, I'd be about the happiest guy on the planet," Minaya said, "but right now all I can think about is how we can get better." That said, Minaya is fully prepared to adhere to the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Don't be at all surprised if the trade deadline comes and goes next month with the Mets standing pat.

"We don't have to do anything," Minaya said. "I know there were some questions about our starting pitching depth, but getting (Orlando Hernandez) has alleviated that and we've got the three kids (Brian Bannister, John Maine and Mike Pelfrey) all waiting in the wings. We're going to have options there."

Options indeed. Imagine, having the option of using El Duque out of the bullpen in the postseason when only four starters will be needed as the White Sox did in nailing down their first world championship in 88 years last season? That option gives the Mets' bullpen a new dynamic.

"El Duque certainly gives us flexibility," Minaya said, "but right now I just look at him as a big-game pitcher who responds to the pressure, as a starter or reliever." For the moment, El Duque will remain in the rotation, but he's due for his annual summer vacation, which conceivably would be the opening for Pelfrey (2.66 ERA in nine starts at Double-A Binghamton) to make his much-anticipated Mets bow. But those are potential internal moves for the future. The reason Minaya probably doesn't need to make any external moves is because of the way all of his offseason deals have worked out.

Lest we forget, there were questions about most of them: Didn't Mike Cameron have more value than Xavier Nady? How do you give a two-year contract to 47-year-old Julio Franco? Why in the world would you sign Jose Valentin, who missed most of last season with a serious knee injury after hitting .216 with 139 strikeouts, 43 walks and 20 errors the year before?

"I always liked Nady," Minaya said, "and I know (Padres GM) Kevin Towers loved him. But for some reason, the coaches over there didn't. I looked at him as a .260-.270, 20-25 homers, 80-RBI guy and those were conservative estimates. I see him eventually hitting 30-plus homers for us. Cameron wasn't going to put those kind of numbers up, plus we were able to put the $6 million we saved in that deal into other things.

"As for Franco (leading the majors with 11 pinch hits and a .379 average going into the weekend), the Braves were offering him $1.3-$1.4 million and I knew he wasn't going to leave them, even if we offered a couple hundred thousand more. So instead of offering him $1.5, we offered him $2 million for two years and, in doing so, we got the best pinch-hitter in baseball and took him away from our biggest rivals in the division. Did I worry about him being too old? Heck, I thought he was too old 10 years ago.

"I know people wondered about Valentin, too, and I admit it was about the farthest thing from my mind that he might be able to help solve our second base situation. In spring training he was like fifth on our depth chart behind (Bret) Boone, (Kaz) Matsui, (Anderson Hernandez), and even (Jeff) Keppinger. But there was something about a guy who owns his own winter ball team and plays for it, too. I just felt he was someone worth bringing in for his versatility, but we found out he needs to play semi-regularly."

Valentin's emergence as a viable second baseman with pop and range has served to end any thoughts of the Mets making a run at the Devil Rays' Julio Lugo, who will be available as a free agent in the winter. And you can forget all the trade speculation about Cliff Floyd, too.

"We're not trading Cliff Floyd," Minaya said. "We're not tampering with our clubhouse chemistry. I fully expect Cliff to get hot when he gets healthy and be a major factor in our lineup the rest of the season."

So, while they won't ever admit it, with so many pieces already in place for a truly magical season, no one could blame the Mets if, in watching these interleague games against the Orioles this weekend, their minds are already turning to postseason games with the Cardinals.

go ahead, count your chickens...

Jets Insider VIP
    I dont care it feels good to be a Mets fan now really good and all Mets fans should be happy with the team we have a rite to be excited our team and the fans have earned it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    I dont care it feels good to be a Mets fan now really good and all Mets fans should be happy with the team we have a rite to be excited our team and the fans have earned it.
    It does feel great to be a METS fan lately and they're playing good ball right now. The All-Star game is approaching soon and sometimes clubs tail off a bit during the second half of the season. I'm not saying that it'll happen to the METS but I certainly don't want to see it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This is the best Mets team in a long while, but the rotation really scares me.

The Soler, el Duque, Trax back of the rotation does not really scare anyone.

The 3 kids mentioned in the article are not great options at all, at this juncture. Brian Bannister got through 5 innings every start by some miracle. He had 1 or 2 quality starts, and the rest of them, he managed to get out of jam after jam. There is no way that will continue. Before he got hurt, the guy was due for a pounding. And John Maine had a less than mediocre 1 and only start in the big leagues. We shouldn't be counting on him for anything but an emergency start. And Pelfrey? The guy's never pitched above AA ball. Sure he's a great prospect, but he's far from a sure thing. Who knows how he'll respond.

Bottom line, the Mets are looking great, but to say "start making plans for the playoffs" is very premature.

Jets Insider VIP
    The Mets have a very good team right now as the road trip proves. Soler and El Duque can improve as time goes on an the three rookies have a lot of potential.Bannister looked pretty good before he got hurt and we are starting to have high class problems.

Great article..............see you in the playoffs.

I predict this same writer will write an article critical of the Mets for looking to far ahead if they start to slide.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    This is the best Mets team in a long while, but the rotation really scares me.

The Soler, el Duque, Trax back of the rotation does not really scare anyone.

The 3 kids mentioned in the article are not great options at all, at this juncture. Brian Bannister got through 5 innings every start by some miracle. He had 1 or 2 quality starts, and the rest of them, he managed to get out of jam after jam. There is no way that will continue. Before he got hurt, the guy was due for a pounding. And John Maine had a less than mediocre 1 and only start in the big leagues. We shouldn't be counting on him for anything but an emergency start. And Pelfrey? The guy's never pitched above AA ball. Sure he's a great prospect, but he's far from a sure thing. Who knows how he'll respond.

Bottom line, the Mets are looking great, but to say "start making plans for the playoffs" is very premature.
    I hear ya..But to be honest who is catching the Mets in the East?? the Phillies and Braves wont..They are just not good enough..There is no reason to start thinking playoffs at this point but the truth is they are pretty much a lock to make the playoffs...

But once in the playoffs the rotation scares me..Yes they have some big game pitchers but they are not the same as they once were when younger..When you get to the playoffs everyone can hit and im not sure we have enough frontline guys to stop all of them...

If the Mets can make a deal for a front of the rotation guy a World Series title is right there for them..If not, i see them falling a little short this year..Unless one of the young guys really steps it up and becomes a stud over night.

Jets Insider VIP
    What is happening to the Mets? Man.....hope this is temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Cover Girl
    Jesus they lost 3/4. Wake me up when they lose more than two in a row.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Cover Girl
    Come on Chickie cheer up.............we'll be fine.........LET'S GO METS.........