Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Wagner = Doug Brien

Practice Squad

Billy Wagner = Doug Brien

Wagner will cost the Mets just like Brien cost the Jets. Take it to the bank.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by langnba
    It's those fvckin walks that kill you.

Jets Insider VIP
    It would be nice if a closer would have more than 1 pitch a fast ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He's John Franco (the bad years)...

All League
    Reminds me more of Looper than Franco

Quote Originally Posted by langnba
    Who are you?? A pat fan in disguise??

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    It would be nice if a closer would have more than 1 pitch a fast ball.

he's got a 99 mph fastball and a wicked slider. it's really all you need to be a one inning pitcher.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    he's got a 99 mph fastball and a wicked slider. it's really all you need to be a one inning pitcher.
    All he needs is some guts now...

and he can't control either one very much right now... what he really needs is a changeup

All League
    For once I agree with you neck. He does have 2 good pitches. He is a very good closer. Yes, he's going to blow some saves, no one is automatic. Met fans don't despair, he will be fine. $40M doesn't mean he'll never blow saves.

comparing him in any way to Looper is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by WWalker85
    For once I agree with you neck. He does have 2 good pitches. He is a very good closer. Yes, he's going to blow some saves, no one is automatic. Met fans don't despair, he will be fine. $40M doesn't mean he'll never blow saves.

comparing him in any way to Looper is absolutely ridiculous.
    4 blown saves. 4!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    and he can't control either one very much right now... what he really needs is a changeup
    He doesn't need a changeup. He just needs better command of those 2 pitches. Could be mechanics. If you throw 99MPH and have a wicked 84MPH slider, you don't need anything else.

Reminds me of Randy Johnson, except Randy doesn't have the velocity anymore, and the slider lost some break. 99MPH you can make mistakes and blow it by people. 93MPH and you are going to need a neck brace from watching HRs.....

He doesn't need a changeup. He just needs better command of those 2 pitches. Could be mechanics. If you throw 99MPH and have a wicked 84MPH slider, you don't need anything else.

Reminds me of Randy Johnson, except Randy doesn't have the velocity anymore, and the slider lost some break. 99MPH you can make mistakes and blow it by people. 93MPH and you are going to need a neck brace from watching HRs.....
    When your fastball is straight as an arrow, you could use a changeup. He's given up runs in 6 of 32 appearances. He's on pace for more BS than Looper. He hasn't been good in clutch situations either.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    When your fastball is straight as an arrow, you could use a changeup. He's given up runs in 6 of 32 appearances. He's on pace for more BS than Looper. He hasn't been good in clutch situations either.
    A changeup wouldn't hurt, but he shouldn't need it. I've seen a few of his saves, he is awesome when he hits his spots and mixes in the slider. Batters look stupid against him when he has control He gets in trouble when he gets wild and has to throw the fastball down the middle.

I have heard he isn't good in clutch situations, but I have no stats to base that on. Heard Mike/Maddog say it today.

In any event, don't give up on him just yet, I think he'll be fine. Not easy pitching in this town.

Every situation that Wags pitches in is a clutch situation.

His two pitches have worked his whole career. He just needs to et the FB over. No team can string together 3/4 hits off of him in a row his stuff is too good. He just needs to throw it over the plate. He'll be fine.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Every situation that Wags pitches in is a clutch situation.

His two pitches have worked his whole career. He just needs to et the FB over. No team can string together 3/4 hits off of him in a row his stuff is too good. He just needs to throw it over the plate. He'll be fine.
    Me and Ikey agree. Write it down.

And by big situations we're talking playoffs - again, this is info I got from our buddies on the fan, not sure what his playoff record is....

Me and Ikey agree. Write it down.

And by big situations we're talking playoffs - again, this is info I got from our buddies on the fan, not sure what his playoff record is....
    4 games isn't enough sample size to come to any conclusion.

All League
    If he appeared in 4 playoff games and blew 4 saves, I'd have a hard time saying he was good in big spots.

If he appeared in 4 playoff games and blew 4 saves, I'd have a hard time saying he was good in big spots.
    But he didn't.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    But he didn't.
    stop holding out - what is his post-season record? what were Mike/Dog talking about. I honestly don't know and am too lazy to research....