Thread: Leopard Gecko Care

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Leopard Gecko Care

Ok, lets see:

--Yes, Heat Lights are great, they are all we use. Definitely stay away from heat rocks, as most reptiles don’t feel pain like you or I, and they can easily burn their sensitive skin on the rocks. I would recommend you get a stand/holder for the heat-lamp, especially if you have other Pets (Cats especially love to knock them over or try to lay near them). Be sure to get a bulb for nocturnal reptiles (usually looks very dark, purple colored, light). BE aware, these things (the lamps) break a lot. Always have a spare. Honestly, they are pretty cheap all things considered.

--Food. Live Crickets are the staple, and yes, they should be coated in a vitamin/calcium coating every other or every third feeding at least. Crickets on their own don't have much nutritional value. Mealworms are fine, just be sure to use ones small enough to be appropriate. I stay away from pinkies, they are a choking hazard and the gecko doesn't need alot of what is in a pinkie. Alot of folks do use them, so it's more a personal choice.

--Cleaning. Should really be done weekly, as reptiles can produce an amazing amount of poo for their size. Usually cleaning is very easy, just put on some gloves, pick the poo, remove dead crickets and maybe wipe down the glass with a reptile-safe or terrarium-specific cleaner (lets you see them better). Honestly, you could be fine with every-other-week or even every third week, but more often is better for their health.

--Pairing. Definitely no males together, they will fight...not fun, especially for little kids. Females can be housed as many together as you like, they will rarely bother each other (when my GF and I had ours, we have three females). Be VERY careful putting a female and male together. They will fight, he will dominate, and they WILL breed. Breeding is something you may want to avoid, it's potentially dangerous (reptiles get egg-bound way too often, and this leads to either costly vet. bills (what I do) or death). So if you current is a Male, I'd say stay with one. If it's a Female, get another female of as close a size as possible. Too big a size difference is bad too.

--Tank Size. Bigger is always better. Breeders keep two or three to a 10 gallon, but to me, I find that kinda cruel and defeats the purpose of what a keeper usually is going for (a nice looking tank). For my three, I used a 55 Gallon Reptile-specific tank and it was great. For two, I would say 30, and get one with the maximum amount of floor space. These are terrestrial, so all the air is wasted space.

--Substrate (What they live on). MY GF and I used something called “Calcisand”, a calcium-based sand-like substance. It comes in many colors (we used natural brown) and is less likely to result is the reptile getting substrate impactments (when reptiles eat, some substrate gets eaten too). You could use fine sand, crushed almonds (forget the brand name for that), or if you’re really budget conscious, newspapers. All can be found at pet stores. Remember, these are native to Pakistan/Iran that area, and they live mostly is desert type ground, so a sandy-type substrate is best.

--Other requirements: This species MUST have a cave or two to hide in during the day. Sadly, reptiles are NOT really great pets for kids. Touching is a bad idea 99.9% of the time, it’s simply not very good for the reptile. They are kinda like fish in that regard, a “look only” type pet. Also, they are nocturnal, so they are not active during the day much. They stay in their caves, sleep and don’t come out till dark. Hence why I say not great for kids.

--Water. Give them a shallow dish of water, refill daily or as needed. They will drink every so often. Also, spray the tank with a water bottle (do not use a old cleaning bottle, the chemicals never leave) every night before sleep. Just a little, to keep their humidity right.

--Get a book on Leopard Geckos. Most PetSmart/PetCo type Pet Super-Stores sell a variety of books on the species (as it’s the most popular around). The info is pretty good in most, and covers all of what I’ve written here and then some (like anything I may have forgotten).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We bought 2 for my son for Christmas, they were both dead by Easter.
    Despite all the above, if they eat a sick cricket its sayonnara.
    I bought them due to the low maintenance claim. These are not low maintenance animals. Next time I get a cat.