Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giddy Met Fans Get Taste of Reality....

All League

Giddy Met Fans Get Taste of Reality....

Tough couple weeks for the Mets - first, interleague play results expose what many suspected - that the NL is a joke. "As bad as it's been in a long long time" according to Jayson Stark. Then they get a chance to prove their record is not a product of playing inferior teams, and the Sox and depleted Yanks crush them. Ouch.

Here we were all thinking the Mets were a great team. Turns out they are just a good team in a horrible league. Good news is they'll definitely make the playoffs. Bad news is they'll have to play an AL team at some point

IF the Mets make the WS and lose, I'd still consider the season a huge success.

All League
    whoa whoa wait a minute - haven't I heard from almost every Met fan that the Yankees "haven't done sh1t" in the last 5 years??? Now making the WS is success??

Not to pick on you Ikey because you're usually pretty fair when it comes to this stuff, but you gotta be consistent. And before you reply with the "half a billion $$$" argument, keep in mind the Mets have the highest payroll in the NL, so the WS is a given, right?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WWalker85
    whoa whoa wait a minute - haven't I heard from almost every Met fan that the Yankees "haven't done sh1t" in the last 5 years??? Now making the WS is success??

Not to pick on you Ikey because you're usually pretty fair when it comes to this stuff, but you gotta be consistent. And before you reply with the "half a billion $$$" argument, keep in mind the Mets have the highest payroll in the NL, so the WS is a given, right?
    i believe that comment was directed towards me and the braves on more than one occasion.

Mets are not the Yankees, the Yankees have different ways to judge their seasons, which is WS or Bust. Your owner and all their players know that from the moment they put on the pinstripes. They even say it themselves. So if they don't win a champioship EVERY YEAR it is a dissapointment, because the goal is so high.

The Mets meanwhle were just looking to get back to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years, win the division for the first time in 18 years.

You can't compare the Mets goals to the Yankees goals.

And If the Mets don't make the Ws then the season would be a minor dissapointment IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny2Coles
    i believe that comment was directed towards me and the braves on more than one occasion.
    I'm just giving my opinion, 1 championship or not, what the Braves did for those 14 years is one of the greatest feats in the history of sports.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    I'm just giving my opinion, 1 championship or not, what the Braves did for those 14 years is one of the greatest feats in the history of sports.
    Ikey...I appreciate you acknowledging that fact. You might be one of the only non-homers on the site when it comes to the Mets.

All League
    Mets are not the Yankees, the Yankees have different ways to judge their seasons, which is WS or Bust. Your owner and all their players know that from the moment they put on the pinstripes. They even say it themselves. So if they don't win a champioship EVERY YEAR it is a dissapointment, because the goal is so high.

The Mets meanwhle were just looking to get back to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years, win the division for the first time in 18 years.

You can't compare the Mets goals to the Yankees goals.

And If the Mets don't make the Ws then the season would be a minor dissapointment IMO.
    The standards are different, but they shouldn't be anymore. The Mets have opened up the checkbook and are (like it or not) more and more like the Yankees. Soon they will start to have the same expectations.

Ikey...I appreciate you acknowledging that fact. You might be one of the only non-homers on the site when it comes to the Mets.
    It was ridiculous, the list of guys that killed the Mets throught he years was insane.

Grissom, Pendelton, Blauser, Weiss, Jones, Jones, Jordan, Klesko, Lopez, E Perez, Lemke, Gant, Nixon, McGriff, Dye, Maddux, Neagle, Millwood, Avery, Glavine, Smoltz, Byrd, the list is endless.
    Last edited by IM3; 07-03-2006 at 01:26 AM.

The standards are different, but they shouldn't be anymore. The Mets have opened up the checkbook and are (like it or not) more and more like the Yankees. Soon they will start to have the same expectations.
    I can't disagree with that, but they are not at their level yet, both attitude wise and payroll wise.

Banned
    It was ridiculous, the list of guys that killed the Mets throught he years was insane.

Grissom, Pendelton, Blauser, Weiss, Jones, Jones, Jordan, Klesko, Lopez, E Perez, Maddux, Neagle, Millwood, Avery, Glavine, Smoltz, Byrd, the list is endless.
    now if your gonna bring back the gold old days...dont forget Kent Mercker(Sp.) and dare I say (gulp) John Rocker? haha.

now if your gonna bring back the gold old days...dont forget Kent Mercker(Sp.) and dare I say (gulp) John Rocker? haha.
    John Burkett and Damian Moss as well.

All League
    How the Mets play vs the Al in June/July, is irrelevant.

They have the division by the throat, the world isn't exactly falling apart after a really bad week of play.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Smile

WW, you crack me up..........what are you beating your chest about? The Mets, regardless of who is in their division are still 11 games up and the Yankees are 4 games behind BOSTON!!!!!!!!! How many years did the Yanks play in a week division and ran away with the title????????? You have got to be kidding me here........the series is even.........and all you Yankee fans keep saying these games in June and July are meaningless but yet you come here to beat your chest about it.........

I remember one year that a Boston loss put the Yankees in the playoffs........seems your guys were skating on thin ice back then.......so what in God's name are you trying to do here........you actually sound foolish.....you can't have it both ways.....

Remember one thing, most of us Met fans are Jet fans, we are used to losing and not having a good season so excuse us while we rejoice in a Mets victory and our Mets are staying on top in the division.......

People can say the same thing about Patriot fans, oh, they are just in a weak division, do you like hearing that?......give me a break here WW.........We don't set high standards in the beginning of the year because we know better......you don't see Met fans becoming suicidal after a loss.........I have a friend who is a Yankee fan and you can't even talk to him for days after a Yankee loss.......

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You'd think the extra $100 million in salary is enough of an offset to the 'weaker division'. But as usual Yankee fans prove to be the biggest whiners of the bunch.

Congrats to the real Yankee fans who have a little class.

The 'little brother' Mets still have some maturing to do but they are on their way up.

All League
    Don't confuse stating facts with "chest beating". Everything I said in my post was true, whether you like it or not. If you are a Met fan, the last couple weeks have to make you concerned about how good they really are and how equipped they are to compete against the clearly superior AL.

I'm "classless"??? Did I come on here and say "Ha Ha Mets the Yanks kicked the crap out of you"? No. Did I post a vid of A-Rod's grand slam to stick it to all you? No. I came on here and stated the truth. I know these losses are painful, but don't call me "classless" just because you're upset.

And please don't give me any of this "oh it means nothing" and "we're 11 games up". Sure you can rationalize it if you'd like, but I know that every Met fan was dying for the Mets to take this series, and would be on here claiming that "NY is now a Met town", "Kings of NY"etc, etc. Standings aside, there have been countless Yankee vs. Met threads on these boards, a lot of "chest beating" it is a huge rivalry, and the Mets lost this round in miserable fashion.

You probably all deserve worse, but I'll keep it at what I originally said - not a good couple weeks for Met fans coming back to earth, and NY still belongs to the Yanks until further notice.

All League
    Note: One thing to make Met fans feel better (I hate saying this) is something McCarver said during the game - the Mets are really in a great position to pick up whoever they want. They have all the bargaining power:

1) no urgency, big lead in division
    2) top prospects in Pelfry and Milledge
    3) ability to increase payroll

I would be shocked if Minaya doesn't make a deal for Dontrelle. That would go a long way to making this team AL ready.....

Banned
    listen..I hate to beat up on my crosstown rivals ..but they are only 13 games out of last place..and a 10 game 1st place lead as of this morning..there is still a long way to go..and already pedro is hurt..el duque is next..followed by wagner..then..the real panic is going to set in..I am going to love to see how the mets deal with adversity..it could make or break the future of their franchise..they have lost 5 out of their last 6 and it is being brushed off as not that big of a deal..willie randolph was horrible last night managing the game(he looked like a deer in headlights/herm)..does he even think ahead of time??I would be concerned if I was a met fan about the division..all you need is a little hot streak by anybody and that will equal pressure..something the mets are not used to playing under..

I will just sit back and enjoy how this unfolds either way..if the mets prove me wrong I will admit it and give them kudos!!!

sincerely,

Bill Parcells

I watched yesterday's game on a room filled of Yankee fans. Most of them tried to show some class but in the end 7 out of the ten Yankee fans showed up with their stupidity. They became stupid right after the grand slam by Arod. I had to remind them for all it's worth it was a split in the series and while the Mets desperately need pitching we were still ahead.
    I mean our in house OJT manager (ex-Yankee) left that pitcher Heath to take an azz whipping and didn't remove him until well after the score was completely out of hand.

I was happy for Arod and felt DeLuca was out of order for the back talk. Arod did a lil showboating but who can blame him when his own fans were calling for his head last week. But to hear these guys say that Giambi should have kicked DeLuca azz was poor infantile.

In the end it all worked out well as I wished their team well for the rest of the year and they did the same.

In my many years of watching baseball I have come to the conclusion that most Yankee fans are spoiled because of their prior success and take homage against against anyone who ponts out that injuries, age, pitching, and farm systems can all point to a decline in a system. No, not the Yankees this doesn't happen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    listen..I hate to beat up on my crosstown rivals ..but they are only 13 games out of last place..and a 10 game 1st place lead as of this morning..there is still a long way to go..and already pedro is hurt..el duque is next..followed by wagner..then..the real panic is going to set in..I am going to love to see how the mets deal with adversity..it could make or break the future of their franchise..they have lost 5 out of their last 6 and it is being brushed off as not that big of a deal..willie randolph was horrible last night managing the game(he looked like a deer in headlights/herm)..does he even think ahead of time??I would be concerned if I was a met fan about the division..all you need is a little hot streak by anybody and that will equal pressure..something the mets are not used to playing under..

I will just sit back and enjoy how this unfolds either way..if the mets prove me wrong I will admit it and give them kudos!!!

sincerely,

Bill Parcells
    Yeah right!! Give them kudos with the left hand while you try to b#tch slap us with the right hand. I know you can't help yourself but being a Yankee fan you just can't stand to see the Mets advance especially if the Yankees don't.