Thread: OT: Mets, rookie Pelfrey likely to start Saturday

Hall Of Fame

OT: Mets, rookie Pelfrey likely to start Saturday

I heard rumors Pelfrey will probably in the Marlins series. Willie was just on WFAN with the maddog kinda downplaying it. Willie said that Saturday during the double header, Maine will Pitch game 1 and if Pedro can't go then it will be possibly Oliver, Maybe Lima, and possibly Pelfrey. Many of us know that Pedro will be going on the DL tomorrow to give him more rest. I can almost guarantee will see the rookie saturday!

not good...I just saw Pelfrey in Harrisburg last week, and he got lit up by a Harrisburg team that is really not that good...

I think it's too soon for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken O'Brien #7
    not good...I just saw Pelfrey in Harrisburg last week, and he got lit up by a Harrisburg team that is really not that good...

Next start he put up a 7 inning 2 Hit 11 K outing.

Hall Of Fame
    I saw him pitch during spring training. Had good command He is very tall too. Being a lefty is a plus. They say he can consistantly throw around 97. Though the fastest I saw at the ST game was 92. But of course thats Spring training.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    I saw him pitch during spring training. Had good command He is very tall too. Being a lefty is a plus. They say he can consistantly throw around 97. Though the fastest I saw at the ST game was 92. But of course thats Spring training.
    Uhhhhh...Pelfrey is a righty.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Mets are debating whether to use Darren Oliver, Jose Lima or Mike Pelfrey for Friday night's game or perhaps in Saturday's doubleheader if Pedro Martinez (hip) is unable to go. Manager Willie Randolph and GM Omar Minaya told the New York Post that Double-A phenom Mike Pelfrey won't be in the equation unless Lima or Oliver are needed in relief before Friday. "Our goal is to develop him the best we can in the minor leagues. If we're forced to bring him up, we'll consider it," Minaya told the paper.
    (Updated 07/05/2006).

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    The Mets are debating whether to use Darren Oliver, Jose Lima or Mike Pelfrey for Friday night's game or perhaps in Saturday's doubleheader if Pedro Martinez (hip) is unable to go. Manager Willie Randolph and GM Omar Minaya told the New York Post that Double-A phenom Mike Pelfrey won't be in the equation unless Lima or Oliver are needed in relief before Friday. "Our goal is to develop him the best we can in the minor leagues. If we're forced to bring him up, we'll consider it," Minaya told the paper.
    (Updated 07/05/2006).

Its a smoke screen trust me

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofqueens718
    Uhhhhh...Pelfrey is a righty.

Yes you are right. I dont know where that came from.. Probably because Chuck James from atlanta pitched that game too, and billy wagner closed so i must have had lefty stuck in my mind.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken O'Brien #7

these are some impressive numbers to me.

Player W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR HB BB SO WHIP HLD GF

Michael Pelfrey 4 2 2.71 12 12 0 0 0 66.1 60 23 20 2 4 26 77 1.30 0 0

77 K's in just 66 innings,,,, WOW!

i really hope so since i'm going to the game son saturday i would like to see him pitch.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    i really hope so since i'm going to the game son saturday i would like to see him pitch.
    I wish I was in NY to go to any game right now.

Jared Weaver stunk up the minors after being sent down and going 4-0 with a 1.37 ERA.....1 start doesnt mean anything....Pelfrey is good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

When will we know? I'd make the trek for game 2 if he was pitching. Hopefully it won't be another surprise.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 07-06-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    When will we know? I'd make the trek for game 2 if he was pitching. Hopefully it won't be another surprise.
    he's pitching it was announced.

All Pro
    Game 1 or 2?

From what I've heard, he's not ready yet. He doesn't have the secondary stuff to succeed on a regular basis in the majors... He's got a great fastball but that will only get you so far as a starter. I'll be interested to watch him though.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    He wal just called up since pedro, is on DL. You can catch him pitching saturday.