Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mets should go to a six man rotation

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Mets should go to a six man rotation

It makes perfect sense to do this for several reasons.

Right now, The Mets are trying to decide who should be their 5th starter for the next month. With Bannister still hurt. The decision is between John Maine and Mike Pelfrey.

It looks like Maine is the favorite. He has a bit more seasoning and can slide into the pen if The Mets pick up another starter through trade. Maine himself might end up being trade bait. He could show enough in the next month to be included in a deal for a proven starting pitcher.

If I were running The Mets. I would go with a 6 man rotation for the next month. Here's why..... Let Maine and Pelfrey audition for that 5th spot in July.

The Mets have the oldest starting pitching staff in baseball with Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine, Orlando Hernandez and Steve Traschel. These veteran pitchers are going to wear down and get tired arms down the stretch. By going to a 6 man rotation atleast into August. You give these older veteran starters an extra day off in between starts.

Going to a 6 man rotation will help you leading into the trade deadline, It will help your veteran starters now and down the road and it will strengthen your bullpen down the stretch once you return to a 5 man and eventually 4 man rotation in the playoffs.

All Pro
    And this needs to be moved..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    But this is the only way we can get the attention of the Mods.......

LET'S GO METS.............
    Great day for Mets fans..........

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF
    It makes perfect sense to do this for several reasons.

Right now, The Mets are trying to decide who should be their 5th starter for the next month. With Bannister still hurt. The decision is between John Maine and Mike Pelfrey.

It looks like Maine is the favorite. He has a bit more seasoning and can slide into the pen if The Mets pick up another starter through trade. Maine himself might end up being trade bait. He could show enough in the next month to be included in a deal for a proven starting pitcher.

If I were running The Mets. I would go with a 6 man rotation for the next month. Here's why..... Let Maine and Pelfrey audition for that 5th spot in July.

The Mets have the oldest starting pitching staff in baseball with Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine, Orlando Hernandez and Steve Traschel. These veteran pitchers are going to wear down and get tired arms down the stretch. By going to a 6 man rotation atleast into August. You give these older veteran starters an extra day off in between starts.

Going to a 6 man rotation will help you leading into the trade deadline, It will help your veteran starters now and down the road and it will strengthen your bullpen down the stretch once you return to a 5 man and eventually 4 man rotation in the playoffs.

Maine looked better yesterday... But I liked what I saw in Pelfrey, it was ugly but, he also isn't MLB ready yet. I think they should give him atleast one more start to see if they have to make a move for a pitcher. I think if he gets another start he may pitch a brilliant performance.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    I agree.

The front page on this forum has UFC threads, World Cup, Yahoo Mail, Capri Pants, Asking Girls out, Hockey signings and threads about vegas.

There should be alot of moving going on.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    Maine looked better yesterday... But I liked what I saw in Pelfrey, it was ugly but, he also isn't MLB ready yet. I think they should give him atleast one more start to see if they have to make a move for a pitcher. I think if he gets another start he may pitch a brilliant performance.
    You never know, Pelfrey might turn out to have a Liriano/Papelbon type effect on The Mets.

If The Mets don't go to a 6 man rotation. Their old arms will wear down and they will go nowhere in the playoffs.

It's not about getting a 20 win season for Tom Glavine. The Mets need to make sure that their older arms don't wear down or get injured. A 6 man rotation atleast in the short term solves that problem and it helps you in the long term. You will get much better starts from Pedro, Glavine, Hernandez and Traschel down the stretch if they get extra days of rest. Rather than just 5 or 6 quality innings each start. You might get 7 or 8 if these guys are rested. These older pitchers keep pitching on regular rest and only throwing 5 innings and change...You are going to kill the bullpen and they are going to run out of gas as well.

All Pro
    I agree.

The front page on this forum has UFC threads, World Cup, Yahoo Mail, Capri Pants, Asking Girls out, Hockey signings and threads about vegas.

J/K YJF

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree.

I think a 6 man rotation should be tried also. Sounds like a good idea.

When Baseball stuff gets moved you go from 10 baseball interested posters down to none. Been there, done that.

I can see where Sooth is comming from with the baseball forum but it doesn't seem to work like the Draft forum has. At least there you get a few other posters available for comments.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You never know, Pelfrey might turn out to have a Liriano/Papelbon type effect on The Mets.

If The Mets don't go to a 6 man rotation. Their old arms will wear down and they will go nowhere in the playoffs.

It's not about getting a 20 win season for Tom Glavine. The Mets need to make sure that their older arms don't wear down or get injured. A 6 man rotation atleast in the short term solves that problem and it helps you in the long term. You will get much better starts from Pedro, Glavine, Hernandez and Traschel down the stretch if they get extra days of rest. Rather than just 5 or 6 quality innings each start. You might get 7 or 8 if these guys are rested. These older pitchers keep pitching on regular rest and only throwing 5 innings and change...You are going to kill the bullpen and they are going to run out of gas as well.
    I like Pelfrey........I also like Maine but if I had to choose, I would choose Pelfrey......

Do we know how long Pedro is out for?

Don't like the idea of the 6 man rotation. Actually I hate it.

Glavine has never been on the DL in his career. Pedro is getting his rest now, El Duque will get his soon, Trax probably won't start a playoff game.

Leave things as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by jetgirl
    I like Pelfrey........I also like Maine but if I had to choose, I would choose Pelfrey......

Pelfrey is 100x better than John Maine. It has been a long time since a Mets starter threw 97 MPH consistently.

Pedro will be out as long as he wants/needs.

Banned
    DUMP!!ooopps..I mean..mods..please move this to the proper forum please..
    the major league baseball forum.

thank you,

Bill Parcells

Trax probably wouldn't agree to it haha

it souinds good in theory, but i think it's a bad idea. pitchers (for the most part) don't like changing their routine. glavine would def. hate it because he even mentioned a couiple of times that when he gets too much rest he feels too strong and his change-up suffers. i don't know how much i buy into that, but it just goes to show that most pitchers don't like to change their routine.

It too early in the year to go to a 6 man rotation I think in about a 6 weeks you will see them go to a 6 man rotation.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    DUMP!!ooopps..I mean..mods..please move this to the proper forum please..
    the major league baseball forum.

thank you,

Bill Parcells
    Bite me!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Don't like the idea of the 6 man rotation. Actually I hate it.

Glavine has never been on the DL in his career. Pedro is getting his rest now, El Duque will get his soon, Trax probably won't start a playoff game.

Leave things as they are.
    You can't really put "Trax" in the pen. You can put El Duque in the pen in the playoffs. He's got experience doing that and doing it well.

I am not suggesting a full season 6 man rotation. Just until after the trade dealine. It will give Maine and Pelfrey a couple of more starts. Saturday didn't really determine a winner for that 5th spot. Besides resting your old pitchers. It also gives some potential trade bait in Maine. How do you know that Maine doesn't turn out to be another Alay Soler. Soler looked pretty decent for a stretch before getting bombed in his last 2 starts.

As for Glavine. He and the older pitchers on The Mets staff start to falter once they get past 5 innings. Glavine hasn't had many great starts in the last two months. He's winning games but he hasn't been lights out and eventually the season will catch up to him and the other old guys. I've seen it happen a million times. I am not a Mets fan but.... I seem to remember Glavine having a history of having one good half of a season and then a bad half. Last year, He flipped it. Had a poor first half and then adjusted his game and came on late last year but Tom's history shows that he slows down in the second half of the season. The guy is 40 years old. You better protect his arm. That goes for fragile Pedro as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetgirl

Pedro is scheduled to come off The DL and start next friday when The Mets come back off the break.

Rookie
    With a 12 game lead at the All Star break, we should see more of the young arms in July. Pedro will come off the 15 day disabled list after the break but will probably sit a while longer than that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    it souinds good in theory, but i think it's a bad idea. pitchers (for the most part) don't like changing their routine. glavine would def. hate it because he even mentioned a couiple of times that when he gets too much rest he feels too strong and his change-up suffers. i don't know how much i buy into that, but it just goes to show that most pitchers don't like to change their routine.
    That's a good point neck demon. One of the best opposing points in this thread.

The 6 man idea is not just for the starters. It's for the bullpen. Even if The Mets play 500 ball in their final 73 games. They will win atleast 90 games and win the division.

In order for The Mets to have a chance to win a championship. They need Pedro and Glavine to be at their very best when the playoffs start. They need premium performances from those two guys. If they were two young guys, I wouldn't even suggest a 6 man rotation but they are old pitchers. I'm telling you all.. They are going to wear down and be less effective down the stretch if their arms are not taken care of. Look at Clemens last year, Lights out in the regular season and they became hittable in the playoffs and self admittedly got a tired arm in the world series.