Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Article on how Steve Philips almost destroyed the Mets

Hall Of Fame

OT: Article on how Steve Philips almost destroyed the Mets

Interesting artice. Mets fans you gotta read this. Funny how Steve Philips always brags about bringing David Wright in. Yet he almost let him go but the Jays declined. Where would we be now if The Jays would have accepted?

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Columni...6/1686900.html

Stuff like this happens all the time.

Jets Insider VIP

I'd Rather Have Kasmir than Wright...

Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    Interesting artice. Mets fans you gotta read this. Funny how Steve Philips always brags about bringing David Wright in. Yet he almost let him go but the Jays declined. Where would we be now if The Jays would have accepted?

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Columni...6/1686900.html
    Steve Philips had his issues, but the Mets did something under his stewardship that no other Met team has done: consecutive playoff appearances. The Mets also have an NL Penant under him.

By the way, this would be trade never happened but the worst trade in franchise history actually did under Duquette, the Kasmir for Zambrano trade. That trade may very well have destroyed the Mets as they have a strating staff screaming for youth and let their bona fide blue chip, best pitching prospect in 10 years go for a certified bum in Zambrano.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Stuff like this happens all the time.

I know... I just thought it was humorous. Concidering on ESPN he always takes all the credit for David Wright,. But I dont know if I really believe how credible that article is.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Steve Philips had his issues, but the Mets did something under his stewardship that no other Met team has done: consecutive playoff appearances. The Mets also have an NL Penant under him.

By the way, this would be trade never happened but the worst trade in franchise history actually did under Duquette, the Kasmir for Zambrano trade. That trade may very well have destroyed the Mets as they have a strating staff screaming for youth and let their bona fide blue chip, best pitching prospect in 10 years go for a certified bum in Zambrano.
    You would rather have Kasmir than Wright are you delirious? Good pitching is much easier to find than an excellent 3rd baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    You would rather have Kasmir than Wright are you delirious? Good pitching is much easier to find than an excellent 3rd baseman.
    I disagree.

Good pitching is much easier to find than an excellent 3rd baseman.
    Your kidding, right? It's a close call. Let's put it that way

Banned

your crazy..you are kidding right???

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    I disagree.

No actually he is right.. Pitchers are a crapshoot. 3rd basemen that can hit everyday. for average and power is not easy to find.

Banned
    No actually he is right.. Pitchers are a crapshoot. 3rd basemen that can hit everyday. for average and power is not easy to find.

obviously they were both crapshoots then..according to phillips..he wanted to get rid of both of them..

III,
    I'll taking pitching over a third baseman anyday of the week. The fact that Wright will probably be the best 3rd Baseman in MLB for the next 10 yrs makes it a close call... just to clarify.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sorry, but that is simply insane.

Kazmir is a top of the rotation pitcher. An Ace. Everyone who knows anything about baseball would rather have an Ace than an All-Star third baseman who is a below average fielder, which Wright is.
    Last edited by SMC; 07-16-2006 at 08:54 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation
    III,
    I'll taking pitching over a third baseman anyday of the week. The fact that Wright will probably be the best 3rd Baseman in MLB for the next 10 yrs makes it a close call... just to clarify.

to be honest that is tough to call.. I dont know what Id rather have a guy who plays everyday.. Or a stopper/?

Hall Of Fame

Kasmir is a top of the rotation pitcher. An Ace. Everyone who knows anything about baseball would rather have an Ace than an All-Star third baseman who is a below average fielder, which Wright is.

Below average fielder at 23 years old bud.

Kasmir is a top of the rotation pitcher. An Ace. Everyone who knows anything about baseball would rather have an Ace than an All-Star third baseman who is a below average fielder, which Wright is.
    K-A-Z-M-I-R

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    K-A-Z-M-I-R

Whos that?

to be honest that is tough to call.. I dont know what Id rather have a guy who plays everyday.. Or a stopper/?
    Flip a coin

Jets Insider VIP
    Below average fielder at 23 years old bud.
    Ace All-star pitcher at 22 years old bud.

I disagree, good pitching is much tougher to find than at least a good 3rd baseman. HOWEVER, in this case, the wright deal is obviously worse (at this current time anyway), but in the end, who knows, if kazmir has a better career than wright (highly unlikely, but still a possibility), than the kazmir deal obviously would of been worse. But for now, and i think overall even when their careers are done, the wright deal would have been worse just because he is such an amazing talent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    K-A-Z-M-I-R
    I changed it, thanks. How's Zambrano's rehab going?