Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is America's Team(the Atlanta Braves)going To Make Another Historic Run???

Banned

Is America's Team(the Atlanta Braves)going To Make Another Historic Run???

Anybody think the braves are going to repeat what they did in 93??
    and take the division???

similar scenario I guess

the giants at the time were being called world beaters..sounds familiar

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    and take the division???

similar scenario I guess

This may shock some people..but you've got my vote over here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny2Coles

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Nope, not this year, too little too late.

All Pro
    Not enough horses anymore.

Banned
    it's curtains for you P2C...

If the mets go .500 the rest of the year they should be able to take it no problem.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin

If the mets go .500 the rest of the year they should be able to take it no problem.
    Poor P2C

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    and take the division???

similar scenario I guess

Ironic that you post this today.

Article from the Atlanta Journal Constitution

America's Team no more

By TIM TUCKER
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/16/06

As with most matters in the television business, ratings were a key factor in Turner Sports' decision to essentially end, as of 2008, the Braves' three-decade run as national TV programming.

The national Nielsen cable ratings for Braves games on TBS have declined a whopping 82 percent since 1983, from 4.9 then to 0.9 now. The rating is the percentage of cable TV households tuned in.

The overriding reason for the drop is the vastly larger menu of cable TV channels available now — and, more specifically, the vastly larger number of baseball games available on cable. When Ted Turner came up with the radical idea in the 1970s of beaming his team's games off the satellite and across America, the Braves were the only game on the tube on most nights in much of the country. Now, of course, games are everywhere — on ESPN and dozens of regional cable channels.

The Braves' drop in the national ratings isn't a recent phenomenon. Despite the team's stirring success in the early '90s, its TBS games drew a 2.7 rating in 1993, down 45 percent from a decade earlier. The rating has hovered around 1.0 since 2003.

TBS figures that two-thirds of what remains of its Braves national television audience is in the Southeast, about 15 percent in metro Atlanta and 52 percent elsewhere in a six-state region.

Under Turner Sports' new deal with Major League Baseball, announced Tuesday, TBS will exchange its Braves national package for a league-wide package that includes 26 regular-season Sunday afternoon games and all Division Series playoff games. The key piece of the package for TBS is getting postseason games for the first time.

Starting in 2008, TBS will show 45 Braves games per season locally in metro Atlanta and will have the option to include up to 13 of them in its Sunday afternoon national package. By 2008, Turner Sports says it expects to come up with some way of showing all 45 of its local Braves telecasts in Southeastern markets outside Atlanta, perhaps through a syndication arrangement. If so, Braves fans in the Southeast will be unaffected by the new TV deal.

Also by 2008, about 105 Braves games per year will be shown in the Southeast on regional cable channels FSN South and (soon-to-be-renamed) Turner South.

But the Braves' national TV audience — long on the decline — will essentially be a thing of the past, fondly and quaintly remembered.

LCS ON CABLE?

After striking deals with ESPN last fall and with Fox and TBS last week, Major League Baseball has its national television lineup in place through 2013 — with the exception of one of the two League Championship Series.

That is still being shopped, and it could wind up — for the first time ever — on cable, starting next season.

TBS and ESPN both want it if the economics are right. Fox is at least mildly interested in partnering with another network on it. Baseball commissioner Bud Selig expects to have a deal with someone "in a very short period of time."

"That's the last piece of the journey to be solved," Selig said at last week's announcement of the Fox and TBS deals.

And if "the last piece of the journey" leads to ESPN or TBS, baseball will follow the NBA in putting the semifinal round of its postseason on cable.

Under its new deal, Fox keeps one LCS from 2007 through 2013, starting with the American League and alternating leagues each year thereafter. (Fox also keeps the World Series.) If Turner Sports lands the other LCS for TBS, it would be similar to Turner's broadcast deal for the NBA's conference finals, which TNT shares with ESPN/ABC.

Fox had all LCS games and some Division Series games under the previous TV deal, which expires after this season, but found that to create a baseball overload in its October programming.

THE FIGHT FOR THE FRANCHISES

What's next in the Atlanta Spirit feud?

Two possibilities:

• With a Maryland court having issued a stay of its order that Steve Belkin is entitled to buy out the other Hawks-Thrashers owners at cost, and with the court having modified the conditions of the stay to eliminate the untenable ban on multi-year contracts, the case could proceed on a year-or-longer course through Maryland's appellate courts.

Meanwhile, Belkin would continue to hold one-third of the ownership's voting interest, the other owners — Bruce Levenson, Ed Peskowitz, Michael Gearon Jr., Rutherford Seydel, et al — two-thirds. There'd probably be an occasional flareup, but all in all, the most recent court order lays out a seemingly manageable method of running the teams amidst protracted litigation.

• Facing a long and costly appeal process, and under pressure from the NBA and NHL, Belkin and the other owners could end the feud with a negotiated settlement — one side paying the other a lot of money.

They tried that last August, of course. Prodded by the NBA, they agreed to the convoluted deal under which Belkin was to sell his stake to the others for a price to be set by a series of up to three appraisals. That deal soon went awry, leading to the recent chaos.

The leagues — particularly the NHL — facilitated last week's agreement among the owners to ask the court to lift the ban against player contracts longer than one year. Whether the leagues can do more remains to be seen.

"America's" Team Run still leaves them 5 games below .500 and 11.5 behind the Mets in the pathetic NL. They aint that good, sorry.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin

added.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet
    Poor P2C

I know you have never seen me get down on the Braves..so that picture doesnt fit the bill.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    "America's" Team Run still leaves them 5 games below .500 and 11.5 behind the Mets in the pathetic NL. They aint that good, sorry.
    hater.

Braves have no shot at the division.

None.

Book that ****.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Braves have no shot at the division.

None.

Book that ****.
    noted.

noted.
    be fair, give us a comment to "note"

noted.
    Note how I said the division.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    be fair, give us a comment to "note"
    Absolutely. The Mets will flop (once again) allowing the Atlanta Braves to win an un-precidented 15th straight division title.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Note how I said the division.
    So you feel they will take the WC? Thats fair..and i wouldnt count it out. But obviously I'm going to bust balls and say they will take the division.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    So you feel they will take the WC? Thats fair..and i wouldnt count it out. But obviously I'm going to bust balls and say they will take the division.
    The only balls you're bustin' with that prediction is your own!

So you feel they will take the WC?
    I don't but I think they will be in the WC ract to the end, but their slow start will kill them once they run out of gas.