Thread: This One's On Willie

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

This One's On Willie

After the delay, Traschel squeaked out of a jam in the 3rd. You have to have the hook READY. At least 2 arms should have been warmed up.

Reyes gets credit also for not taking the sure 2nd out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I can't believe they blew that 4-0 lead after 4. I agree Tracshel was shaky from the getgo. He should have pulled the hook sooner.

Braves lost to St. Louis.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Willie is a horror show when it comes to managing pitchers...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it is still early but does anyone know what the magic number is?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    make that back to back days.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't see last nights game so I can't comment, but I had a problem with the way he managed the 9th inning of today's win. In the bottom of the 9th, he decided to go with Feliciano, saving Wagner for the save. Now, this worked out as Feliciano got out of the jam (with help from that 2B ump), but why do managers feel the need to save their best pitcher (their closer) for a save that might not ever happen? Wagner should have been in the game in that 9th inning.

Think about it logically. Would you rather the other team scored when the game is tied in the bottom of the 9th or would you rather the other team sscored in a save situation in extras? It just makes no sense. Torre used to do this all the time (2003 WS he put Weaver, who hadn't pitched in 3 weeks, instead of Rivera... Might have cost us the WS). After doing it once in the beginning of this season with Proctor, he realized how dumb he was and stopped and started bringing in Mo in those spots with great success. In fact, I believe the only time it didn't work was against the Mets when Wright got the double off Mo.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I didn't see last nights game so I can't comment, but I had a problem with the way he managed the 9th inning of today's win. In the bottom of the 9th, he decided to go with Feliciano, saving Wagner for the save. Now, this worked out as Feliciano got out of the jam (with help from that 2B ump), but why do managers feel the need to save their best pitcher (their closer) for a save that might not ever happen? Wagner should have been in the game in that 9th inning.

Think about it logically. Would you rather the other team scored when the game is tied in the bottom of the 9th or would you rather the other team sscored in a save situation in extras? It just makes no sense. Torre used to do this all the time (2003 WS he put Weaver, who hadn't pitched in 3 weeks, instead of Rivera... Might have cost us the WS). After doing it once in the beginning of this season with Proctor, he realized how dumb he was and stopped and started bringing in Mo in those spots with great success. In fact, I believe the only time it didn't work was against the Mets when Wright got the double off Mo.
    I was talking about how he managed glavine. They got out of the 6 through devine intervention, then they kept glavine in for the 7th, stupid move. He loads the bases almost instantly. Fortunately Bradford got them out of trouble, no harm, but definitely foul.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. He'a an absolute nightmare in this aspect of the game. He does not know how to manage pitchers whatsoever.

He talks about "having faith and confidence in his guys" but takes it WAY TOO FAR !! He sees pitchers laboring, buy continues to send them out there. Scary to watch.

Also, for an NL manager, he doesn't hit and run much and NEVER has he called for a suicide squeeze (enough though the Mets lineup is oe of the fastest ones out there).

He also doesn't argue enough. He goes up to the ump and says something like "Are you sure?" and then walks away slightly shaking his head. I want to see him get more into it (not to the point of getting tossed all the time, but some competitive FIRE would be nice to see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll put another one on Willie. How can you possibly bring Heath Bell into any game that's winable? Criminal!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    I'll put another one on Willie. How can you possibly bring Heath Bell into any game that's winable? Criminal!
    not to mention the fact that trachsel shoudl have been out of there about 3 batters earlier.