Thread: OT: Mets Rumors from ESPN

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

OT: Mets Rumors from ESPN

Bobby Abreu
    Let's clear up what we wrote in this space Thursday. The makings of a deal that could, theoretically, send Abreu to the Mets for a package headed by Lastings Milledge are out there. And they would be more than just scratches on a blackboard if the Phillies were to decide they wanted to pursue that deal, full speed ahead. But now that the Mets have sent signals indicating what they might like to do, it's the Phillies' turn. And the Phillies' decision-makers were putting out the message to their friends Friday that they're not particularly excited. One source says he was told by a Phillies official: "We'd have to get a lot more than Lastings Milledge for Bobby Abreu. It would have to be much bigger." Yes, Milledge is a major talent. But the Phillies can think of more brilliant ideas than trading Abreu within the division. And if they ever did, the price would have to be so much greater than other clubs would pay, the Mets almost certainly couldn't afford it. Meanwhile, the Abreu bidders were reporting Friday that the Phillies had dropped another roadblock into the middle of the Abreu Trade Superhighway: They don't want to pay any of Abreu's contract (or at least no more than a small chunk) in an effort to get more talent back. Here's why: If Abreu stays in Philadelphia, the Phillies would owe him just $17.5 million after this year if they didn't pick up his 2008 option. But now that Abreu's agent, Peter Greenberg, has told ESPN.com that Abreu won't consider waiving his no-trade clause unless his option is guaranteed, any team dealing for him would be on the hook for at least $31.5 million after this year. So if the Phillies were to pay half of that, or even close -- as they did when they traded Jim Thome -- they'd be paying nearly as much to have Abreu play for somebody else as they would to have him play for them. So their choices seem to boil down to either keeping him (for now) or simply dumping his money so they can use it in other ways. But one interested team was told flatly: "This will not be a dump." So obviously, that option is out -- which essentially kills the Yankees' shot of dealing for him. But beyond that stance, the Phillies expect any team trading for Abreu to assume virtually all of his salary and trade front-line talent. So if that's the case, said an executive of one team that has been in this derby, "I refuse to believe Bobby Abreu is getting traded this month."

Barry Zito
    If the Mets would think about trading Lastings Milledge for Bobby Abreu, why wouldn't they think about dangling Milledge for Zito? That's a question the A's are apparently asking these days. It will come as no shock to Mets GM Omar Minaya that Oakland's Billy Beane is the west-coast president of the Lastings Milledge Fan Club. And Beane has gone so far as to shoot off flares recently that indicate Zito isn't as untouchable as most teams think he is. Dating back to last winter, the Mets have shown more interest in Zito than any other club. But in the past, it was the price (Milledge and Aaron Heilman) that was prohibitive. Now, according to baseball men who have spoken with Beane, he isn't even asking for Heilman anymore. With Rich Harden out until September, the A's would need to get a pitcher back -- but "not necessarily in that deal," said one AL executive. And now that Zito has signed on with Scott Boras, Beane also realizes he has to price Zito as a two-month rental who doesn't even come with any automatic rent-to-buy option. "Even if you think you can sign him," said the same executive, "you're not going to find out until at least November. But if the Mets can't sign Zito, who can? They've got more money than anybody, except the Yankees." Nevertheless, the Mets continue to show no real interest in a Milledge-for-Zito package. (In fact, the Mets' latest target is believed to be Pittsburgh's Kip Wells.) And there are no indications the A's are mulling any other Zito offers, either. Which is shocking, the more you think about it. The price wouldn't be cheap -- but it won't be any worse than the price on Alfonso Soriano. And there isn't another starting pitcher who is even remotely available who could be a bigger September-October force than Zito. Is there?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Livan Hernandez
    Once, Hernandez would have been the easy winner of the Most Likely To Be A Met competition. But two front-office men who have spoken to the Mets now call that talk "overblown." The Mets need "a quality power arm," says one NL executive. "And he's not it." Hernandez has been so unsightly lately (7.29 ERA in his last eight starts), the Nationals are having a tough time convincing clubs that Hernandez will be able to flip the switch back on if he goes to a contender. "If he can still turn it on," says an official of one no-longer-interested club, "he'd better start turning it on now [just to prove he still can]." There has been talk that the Mets have shifted their attention to Baltimore's Rodrigo Lopez. But one executive who has spoken with GM Omar Minaya says: "I wouldn't bank on that, either."

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Freddy Garcia

White Sox GM Kenny Williams keeps downplaying the idea that he would trade any of his starting pitchers. But we keep hearing from clubs who have been told either Vazquez or Garcia is available for a big-time set-up arm or a top-of-the-rotation starter. "No matter what they say," says one GM, "they'll listen on either one of them." But Vazquez has already proved once (in Arizona) he won't be happy if he's traded west of the Central Time Zone. And Garcia has a $10-million contract for next year -- plus an ERA north of 6.00 since Memorial Day. So business is slow. One deal that got shot down: Garcia to the Mets for set-up force Duaner Sanchez.

I wonder which team shot down the Garcia for Sanchez trade?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    Freddy Garcia

White Sox GM Kenny Williams keeps downplaying the idea that he would trade any of his starting pitchers. But we keep hearing from clubs who have been told either Vazquez or Garcia is available for a big-time set-up arm or a top-of-the-rotation starter. "No matter what they say," says one GM, "they'll listen on either one of them." But Vazquez has already proved once (in Arizona) he won't be happy if he's traded west of the Central Time Zone. And Garcia has a $10-million contract for next year -- plus an ERA north of 6.00 since Memorial Day. So business is slow. One deal that got shot down: Garcia to the Mets for set-up force Duaner Sanchez.

hopefully the mets... sanchez has been invaluable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin
    hopefully the mets... sanchez has been invaluable.
    Exactly. You can not put a price tag on what Duaner brings to the Mets bullpen.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    Freddy Garcia

The Sox wanted Pelfrey also.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    The Sox wanted Pelfrey also.
    I wouldnt even trade Sanchez straight up for Garcia..If they wanted Pelfrey also they are nutz.

how does no one see a problem with the abreu trade.. i think that would be up there with the kazmir trade. first you trade for a player on his decline and maybe has more more good year left in his tank. for a player who will be a superstar for the next 10 years, and to add salt to the wound we trade inside the division.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vilma4Prez
    how does no one see a problem with the abreu trade.. i think that would be up there with the kazmir trade. first you trade for a player on his decline and maybe has more more good year left in his tank. for a player who will be a superstar for the next 10 years, and to add salt to the wound we trade inside the division.
    I agree, I want nothing to do with Abreu...If i'm trading Miledge it has to be for a frontline pitcher..

Quote Originally Posted by Vilma4Prez
    Because we realize that there is NO CHANCE of that actually happening.

1) The Phillies wont trade Abreu in division unless the Mets completely blew them away in an offer.

2) The Mets wont completely blow them away in an offer.

3) We have Nady and Floyd in the corner outfielder spots, we have no need for Abreu.

4) I dont see the Mets parting with Milledge unless the player were getting is named Willis, Zito, or Schmidt.

Zito

I'm not sure if this is a rumor. It's something I was thinking about yesterday after the Aaron Heilman debacle. I'm not a fan of him as much as I was earlier in the year. He seems unhappy, and it doesn't look like the Mets will ever let him start. Is there a team that might want him to start that can send us something of use? I was thinking Pittsburgh...they have Roberto Hernandez right now. He did well last year and is doing decent this year. Any chance the Mets consider something like Heilman for Roberto Hernandez? I think right now I'd have more faith in Hernandez.