Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitching WILL be their demise.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Pitching WILL be their demise.

As a met fan I am very fearful that we will stand no chance in the first round of the playoffs due to pitching. Pedro will hopefully be back and good, I have absolutely no faith in glavine, or anyone else in the rotation after him. This is not good.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin
    As a met fan I am very fearful that we will stand no chance in the first round of the playoffs due to pitching. Pedro will hopefully be back and good, I have absolutely no faith in glavine, or anyone else in the rotation after him. This is not good.
    Have faith in Pedro and Glavine then pray for rain!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    pedro should be fine in the play-offs. glavine has been hacing a hard time of it lately, but i have faith he will be competitive come the play-offs. we really need to make a move for another starter and then figure out which of our remaining guys will be the one to go with at #4. one thing id for sure, i really don't think it should be trachsel at this point. but i do agree that if the mets make the play-offs and bomb, it will be due to ineffective pitching.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    you have every right to be

I applaud you for your honesty and integrity

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    demise? who picked the Mets to win a World Series? I'm having a good ol' time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    First round? Try getting there first.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    pedro should be fine in the play-offs. glavine has been hacing a hard time of it lately, but i have faith he will be competitive come the play-offs. we really need to make a move for another starter and then figure out which of our remaining guys will be the one to go with at #4. one thing id for sure, i really don't think it should be trachsel at this point. but i do agree that if the mets make the play-offs and bomb, it will be due to ineffective pitching.
    i hope you are right, but glavine's start has been the surprise to me, not his collapse. I didn't like him last year, and he's again demonstrating why.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just about every team in the NL has pitching problems...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Just about every team in the NL has pitching problems...
    It's official- we don't have a true #2 pitcher anymore

Glavine's WHIP since June 1st- 1.67
    Glavine's ERA since June 1st- 4.95

Ugh- I just hope Pedro is healthy. As much as we all complain about Trachsel, Glavine has been just as bad recently. He can't work deep into ballgames anymore.

The more times we see our rotation, the more I am convinced that the Mets need to make a move. I'm not content with playoffs- I want to win it all.

However, Garcia/Lopez/Livan is not the answer. We don't need a #3.

We need a #1/#2.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Show me a National League team that has unwavering confidence in their 1-3 starters.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree for the most part. I think Glavine will be OK and El Duque will move to the pen which wil help because Pedro and Glavine are only good for 6, but unless Bannister comes back gangbusters and Pelfry or Maine is ready for prime time, the Mets are out in the first round.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer
    Show me a National League team that has unwavering confidence in their 1-3 starters.
    Ok, so lets say our mediocore rotation takes us to the WS, then we get absolutely decimated, is that good? I would certainly be unhappy. If we lose in the WS but look respectable, thats one thing. If we have another debocle like the Boston series, the season would almost be for naught.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so lets say our mediocore rotation takes us to the WS, then we get absolutely decimated, is that good? .
    I'd say yes.

For the Mets making the WS after all the seasons of futility would be a great step forward.

We would still have guys like Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Pelfrey, Milledge (hopefully), for 2007 and beyond, and money to spend to fix the rotation issues that ailed us this year. If the Mets make the WS, you have to consider the year a huge succsess.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    Agree for the most part. I think Glavine will be OK and El Duque will move to the pen which wil help because Pedro and Glavine are only good for 6, but unless Bannister comes back gangbusters and Pelfry or Maine is ready for prime time, the Mets are out in the first round.
    The Mets can scrape by the 1st round even if their rotation continues to flounder. We can beat a team like HOuston or LA with our rotation struggling as it is now.

Beating St. Louis, OTOH, may be a tall order. For that, we will need Glavine and Trachsel to be throwing at their best.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mets will win their division and lose in the first round unless something serious is done about the pitching. The will the division because of the big lead they have and the poor play of their rivals.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    I'd say yes.

For the Mets making the WS after all the seasons of futility would be a great step forward.

We would still have guys like Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Pelfrey, Milledge (hopefully), for 2007 and beyond, and money to spend to fix the rotation issues that ailed us this year. If the Mets make the WS, you have to consider the year a huge succsess.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    I'd say yes.

Agreed. If we stay as we are, without making any moves, we are probably even with the Cardinals as favorites to make the World Series (unless the Cards make a move for Dontrelle). Regardless of what move we make, we will still be underdogs against any AL team in the Series, so Im not sure mortgaging our future makes sense.

Id much rather take the chance that we are good enough to make the WS right now, drop some coin on Zito in the off season, and still have our young prospects to build on.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so lets say our mediocore rotation takes us to the WS, then we get absolutely decimated, is that good? I would certainly be unhappy. If we lose in the WS but look respectable, thats one thing. If we have another debocle like the Boston series, the season would almost be for naught.
    Considering no one would have predicted we'd make the WS yeah, this year would be a step up. There is no trade out there that's gonna help us win the World Series besides getting Zito, and that trade is too risky.

Also, any pitcher can get hot in the playoffs. And the World Series is a small sample of the pitching that we've seen the whole year, Pedro/Glavine could bomb and Trax/Duque could be great. Who knows. I'm worried about the playoffs anyway, but I think all teams have holes in their pitching staff. No one in the NL is solid.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    Just so you know in their younger years Pedro and Glavine were not great postseason pitchers(except for '99 for Pedro and and a few years for Galvine in the early-mid 90s). Now you expect them at their advanced ages to carry a team to a Championship? You'll have trouble in the weak NL playoffs w/ that rotation, you'll have no chance if you make it to the WS. Omar HAS to get another SP.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer
    Considering no one would have predicted we'd make the WS yeah, this year would be a step up. There is no trade out there that's gonna help us win the World Series besides getting Zito, and that trade is too risky.

Also, any pitcher can get hot in the playoffs. And the World Series is a small sample of the pitching that we've seen the whole year, Pedro/Glavine could bomb and Trax/Duque could be great. Who knows. I'm worried about the playoffs anyway, but I think all teams have holes in their pitching staff. No one in the NL is solid.
    I wouldnt go that far. I saw numerous predictions of The Mets unseating the Braves in the division..and making it to the WS. With a payroll like that and Omar getting his Yankees on I would hope the Mets would do something of merit this year. So far, so good.