Thread: Mets Have Just Called Up Milledge...

Mets Have Just Called Up Milledge...

I dont know how I feel about this. He needs to play every day and unless he's starting it's not good for his self esteem and for his skill level.

And I would like to see Endy start every day in RF... I think Milledge needs a little more seasoning, and Endy has been nothing but great so far... it should be his job to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    I dont know how I feel about this. He needs to play every day and unless he's starting it's not good for his self esteem and for his skill level.

And I would like to see Endy start every day in RF... I think Milledge needs a little more seasoning, and Endy has been nothing but great so far... it should be his job to lose.
    If we were comfortable with Endy every day, I think we would have pursued Milledge for Oswalt harder than we did down the stretch today. Don't think Willie sees Endy as an everyday player.

Quote Originally Posted by broadwayjoe
    If we were comfortable with Endy every day, I think we would have pursued Milledge for Oswalt harder than we did down the stretch today. Don't think Willie sees Endy as an everyday player.
    Yeah but why not?

Endy struggled his first week or so, and understandably he was getting adjusted... but since then he's been great.

His defense is top notch, he's fast as hell, and he seems to always come through in the clutch. Until he starts to mess up at least, I dont see what the problem is.

Yeah but why not?

Endy struggled his first week or so, and understandably he was getting adjusted... but since then he's been great.

His defense is top notch, he's fast as hell, and he seems to always come through in the clutch. Until he starts to mess up at least, I dont see what the problem is.
    All sounds good to me. I would have dealt Milledge for Oswalt and put Endy in the lineup every day... was just saying the I don't think Willie has that same faith in him.

Endy would get exposed as an everyday player. He is great as a bench player though.

All sounds good to me. I would have dealt Milledge for Oswalt and put Endy in the lineup every day... was just saying the I don't think Willie has that same faith in him.
    I would not have dealt Milledge for Oswalt.

Then you sir have lost your mind.

Then you sir have lost your mind.

I know... I know...

I am just 100% sure this would happen though for some reason: Oswalt comes up here and pitches spotty this year, next year pitches worse, and just fades... Milledge goes on to have a string of like 10 great seasons and torture Mets fans...

Jets Insider VIP

Why?? That would be a steal... Milledge=overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    Why?? That would be a steal... Milledge=overrated.
    Explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Explain.
    I don't think Milledge is overrated. I think he will be a heck of a player in the not too distant future. But you still have to deal him for Oswalt if you can. We needed to get a big-time starter today. We're going to coast through the rest of the season, but I sense serious problems come October.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Endy would get exposed as an everyday player. He is great as a bench player though.
    Exactly.

Endy as 4th OF? You're in good shape. Endy as starter? Not so much.

When push comes to pull we came out losers today. An every day RF w/pop for an old RP and a very iff picher. It almost comes out to Nady and Sanchez for Hernandez and Perez. AND we never got that pitcher that was so desperatly needed. Now we have to hope the kids come through, Glavine finds himself, Martinez stays healthy, and the bull pen doesn't implode with Hernandez instead of Sanchez.

THIS SUCKS BOOKOO BIG TIME

Jets Insider VIP
    Explain.

I dont necessarily mean overrated, but maybe overhyped. Theres something about his style of play that im not crazy about.. I dont think he is going to be what they all think he will be... I hope I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    When push comes to pull we came out losers today. An every day RF w/pop for an old RP and a very iff picher. It almost comes out to Nady and Sanchez for Hernandez and Perez. AND we never got that pitcher that was so desperatly needed. Now we have to hope the kids come through, Glavine finds himself, Martinez stays healthy, and the bull pen doesn't implode with Hernandez instead of Sanchez.

THIS SUCKS BOOKOO BIG TIME

Yo, I know man... But considering the circumstances we did the best that we could... The Sanchez sh*t is just terrible terrible luck... but we couldnt just add a SP and try to go on without filling his role... We got 2 of the best MRP on the market, and we did it for Nady, who is not Amazing. I dont know... I was never CRAZY about Nady for some reason.

Also keep this in mind... Just because Endy has never been a star outfielder does NOT mean that he is not capable of it. To say "Oh he's not a starting OF" is ridiculous... why not? He has not been given an opportunity to start since his rookie year, and then he posted "decent" numbers... a little below avg, but still workable... now he's a little older and more seasoned and he has been playing GREAT so far. Plus he plays good defense. The spot should be his.

Yo, I know man... But considering the circumstances we did the best that we could... The Sanchez sh*t is just terrible terrible luck... but we couldnt just add a SP and try to go on without filling his role... We got 2 of the best MRP on the market, and we did it for Nady, who is not Amazing. I dont know... I was never CRAZY about Nady for some reason.

Also keep this in mind... Just because Endy has never been a star outfielder does NOT mean that he is not capable of it. To say "Oh he's not a starting OF" is ridiculous... why not? He has not been given an opportunity to start since his rookie year, and then he posted "decent" numbers... a little below avg, but still workable... now he's a little older and more seasoned and he has been playing GREAT so far. Plus he plays good defense. The spot should be his.
    Code:
     Year Ag Tm  Lg  G   AB    R    H   2B 3B  HR  RBI  SB CS  BB  SO   BA   OBP   SLG   TB   SH  SF IBB HBP GDP 
    +--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+---+---+---+---+---+
     2001 23 KCR AL  29   77    4   16   2  0   0    5   0  2   3   8  .208  .238  .234   18   0   0   0   0   3
     2002 24 MON NL  36  125   20   37   8  5   1    9   3  5   5  16  .296  .321  .464   58   7   1   0   0   0
     2003 25 MON NL 141  483   66  121  25  5   5   47  18  7  31  59  .251  .294  .354  171   9   3   3   0   7
     2004 26 MON NL 132  502   65  139  20  6   5   34  32  7  30  40  .277  .318  .371  186  12   2   0   1   6
     2005 27 TOT NL  98  116   19   25   4  3   0   11   2  2   7  14  .216  .260  .302   35   7   0   0   0   3
             WSN NL   7    9    2    2   1  0   0    1   0  1   3   1  .222  .417  .333    3   0   0   0   0   1
             PHI NL  91  107   17   23   3  3   0   10   2  1   4  13  .215  .243  .299   32   7   0   0   0   2
    Not that good.

Code:
     Year Ag Tm  Lg  G   AB    R    H   2B 3B  HR  RBI  SB CS  BB  SO   BA   OBP   SLG   TB   SH  SF IBB HBP GDP 
    +--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+---+---+---+---+---+
     2001 23 KCR AL  29   77    4   16   2  0   0    5   0  2   3   8  .208  .238  .234   18   0   0   0   0   3
     2002 24 MON NL  36  125   20   37   8  5   1    9   3  5   5  16  .296  .321  .464   58   7   1   0   0   0
     2003 25 MON NL 141  483   66  121  25  5   5   47  18  7  31  59  .251  .294  .354  171   9   3   3   0   7
     2004 26 MON NL 132  502   65  139  20  6   5   34  32  7  30  40  .277  .318  .371  186  12   2   0   1   6
     2005 27 TOT NL  98  116   19   25   4  3   0   11   2  2   7  14  .216  .260  .302   35   7   0   0   0   3
             WSN NL   7    9    2    2   1  0   0    1   0  1   3   1  .222  .417  .333    3   0   0   0   0   1
             PHI NL  91  107   17   23   3  3   0   10   2  1   4  13  .215  .243  .299   32   7   0   0   0   2
    Not that good.
    ppl change though...

Look at Valentin, everyone including me wrote him off and now he's a solid producer at 2nd...

also how did you make that little box of stats?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Moving Chavez into an everyday role is akin to the Mets attempting to have Miguel Cairo as their everyday 2B last year. Plain and simple, they just aren't good enough to be starting on a playoff caliber team. They are fine for short stints, but after that, they become a noticeable weakness.

Chavez has played very well in his opportunties this year. But, asking guys like that to play above their capabilities everyday is unfair and unreasonable.

Chavez gives us great flexibility coming off the bench. He's a good glove, he has some speed, and can create some opportunities. He's been a pleasant surprise. But, as a corner OF? He is just not productive enough and doesn't have the upside to expect production.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

ppl change though...

Look at Valentin, everyone including me wrote him off and now he's a solid producer at 2nd...

also how did you make that little box of stats?
    You cant compare this to Valentin, Valentine was a 30 hr guy a few years back and has produced some big numbers in the past..Chavez has not..Chavez has been darn good this year but as a starting corner OF he could get exposed..

I think its best he doesnt play everyday..Its nice to have him coming off the bench..I play Lastings vs left pitchers and Chavez vs righties..