Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike's Return...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike's Return...

Anyone else going out to Shea to welcome Piazza back next week? I was there for Fonzie's return a few years back, he got quite a (well-deserved) greeting. Should be even louder for Mike. I always thought it was so cool that when Fonzie left, he took out a bunch of taxi-top ads thanking the NY fans.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayjoe
    Anyone else going out to Shea to welcome Piazza back next week? I was there for Fonzie's return a few years back, he got quite a (well-deserved) greeting. Should be even louder for Mike. I always thought it was so cool that when Fonzie left, he took out a bunch of taxi-top ads thanking the NY fans.
    I am a Yankee fan who also like the current Mets. Piazza was not a team player and certainly not a leader. He depended on the fans' unwavering support of him and resisted going to first base even though he was a liability behind the plate. He hurt the team badly since 2002. His departure was the best thing that could have happened to the team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by original jet fan
    I am a Yankee fan who also like the current Mets. Piazza was not a team player and certainly not a leader. He depended on the fans' unwavering support of him and resisted going to first base even though he was a liability behind the plate. He hurt the team badly since 2002. His departure was the best thing that could have happened to the team.

Piazza may have weakened the team in his last 2 years, but before that he was a prime reason the Mets were in contention and made the 2000 WS.

Regardless, he was/is a fan favorite and will be cheered tremendously. I for one will be cheering wholeheartedly when he returns (although I hope he doesn't have an extremely good series).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    Piazza may have weakened the team in his last 2 years, but before that he was a prime reason the Mets were in contention and made the 2000 WS.

Regardless, he was/is a fan favorite and will be cheered tremendously. I for one will be cheering wholeheartedly when he returns (although I hope he doesn't have an extremely good series).
    Agree completely.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,7148408.flash

You guys may want to check this out... Three things I don't agree with Matthews about:

1) I do not believe Piazza would wear a Dodger cap to Cooperstown.

2) The Mets WILL retire his jersey... when he gets inducted, if not sooner.

3) The idea that New Yorkers will remember Luis Sojo more than Mike Piazza borders on the absurd... and I am totally not trying to pick a fight here with the Yankee fans, but I think Matthews very much underrates how much the fans here loved him... I think that will all be cleared up tonight, and I can't wait to be a part of it at Shea.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    stoops!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just shut up! He wasnt a leader or a team player? Do you know how many times he bled for us getting hit in the head bleeding from the forehead. Really shut your mouth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's good to see Piazza back at Shea, even if he's got on other colors.

He's going to go down in the Hall as a Met, and the Mets should retire his jersey when the time comes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be there tomorrow. Hope Pedro dosen't drill him.

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    Just shut up! He wasnt a leader or a team player? Do you know how many times he bled for us getting hit in the head bleeding from the forehead. Really shut your mouth.
    Sure, Piazza was a real team player.

The way he retaliated against Clemens spurring the Mets on to
    championship
    The gracious way he moved to 1st and had no concern for
    setting any kind of individual records

You cant spell leader without P-i-a-z-z-a..
    oh wait yes you can

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flushingjet

championship

oh wait yes you can
    Right, genius... because our best hitter getting suspended for the remainder of the World Series would have really spurred us on to a title... Want to be upset nobody retaliated, fine... not Mike... use your head.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

championship

oh wait yes you can
    By the way, I guarantee had he ran out to the mound and beat Clemens' @ss and got tossed for the remainder of the Series, you'd be sitting here saying how a real leader would have considered the team first and restrained himself... you are a joke. Get a clue.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayjoe
    By the way, I guarantee had he ran out to the mound and beat Clemens' @ss and got tossed for the remainder of the Series, you'd be sitting here saying how a real leader would have considered the team first and restrained himself... you are a joke. Get a clue.
    I know.

Piazza is more than anything a "nice guy" who seems to know better to beat anyones ass.

At the same time, Man I hate that dumb hick Clemens and i would not have minded seeing Piazza shove that bat where the sun dont shine

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way...

it was really heartwarming to see the response today.

There wasnt even a packed house, but it got loud... and the people chanting "Mike Pi-azz-a" was great also. No warmer place to be then Shea when they love u.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

championship

oh wait yes you can
    since when does being a leader require getting in a fight and getting thrown out? you don't know the game

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    since when does being a leader require getting in a fight and getting thrown out? you don't know the game

?
    sure kid.
    ive seen mets leaders and piazza is no leader
    when youre the "leader" of a team and you get thrown at
    you do something besides impersonate a turtle

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ?
    sure kid.
    leaders put the team over their ego

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    leaders put the team over their ego
    is that why piazza avoided playing 1st-I knew he was selfless

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ?
    sure kid.
    ITs tough to do something when you're on the ground almost unconcious. Really-judging Piazza's leadership qualities soley based on his reaction to Clemens beaning and bat throwing incidents or his reluctance (he did ultimately go over to 1st for a year) to move to a new position is stupid.

That would be like a Met fan judging Jeter by his actions during the Orioles/Benitez brawl when he was talking with Oriole players while his teamates were fighting. There is no player I fear more in a clutch position than Jeter--thats how I as a Met fan judge Jeter. It is the same reason why I hate him.

Piazza (and Jeter) are great players who led by example and will both be in the HOF. Any Met/Yankee fan who criticizes these two great players based on their actions during beanball brawl incidents is just showing their lack of knowledge for the game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    is that why piazza avoided playing 1st-I knew he was selfless
    Yeah, he was such a wizard out there anyway, how'd that work out? keep talking