Thread: Olmert is showing Bush-esque war leadership

JetsInsider.com Legend

Olmert is showing Bush-esque war leadership

so let's summerize:

Neither man has ever seen combat or even been close to it.

Both men expressed irrational anger and underestimated the skill of a guerrilla enemy.

Both men all too eagerly plunged their countries head first into conflict without an exit strategy or international support.

Both men recommend "staying the course" as if the course was such a brilliant plan to begin with.

Both men made pre-emptive strikes on other nations and both are compelled to explain why they were justified in doing so.

I mean seriously are there two world leaders worse qualified to run a war campaign than these two? Maybe cherac or someone like that but at least he's got the good sense to stick to his strengths... or at least avoid his weaknesses.

Mark my words if Ariel Sheron hadn't gone down with that stroke this whole thing never happens. The soldiers are exchanged for some prisoners under the table and it all just goes away.

Oh and one more thing I am sure there are plenty of supporters of both men in this forum - what you all have to realize is that while you might respect these people mightily - both shot before they thought so to speak - both led their nations into conflicts where achieving victory was unlikely. 6 million Jews against a Billion Muslims is not good odds.

You can bash me for these observations but you can't spit shine putrid results.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    here's another similarity: both men went to wars in which were easy to win but hard to keep

All League
    perhaps, as a man who is opposed to both leaders, i'm in a position to comment on your post...

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    so let's summerize:

true about bush...Olmert at least served as a wartime correspondent for the Israeli military paper during the Yom Kippur war

Both men expressed irrational anger and underestimated the skill of a guerrilla enemy.
    true about bush, for the most part...but to say Olmert underestimated Hizbollah is ridiculous...he knows damn well their strengths and weaknesses and will likely succeed in crippling them as a military force following this crisis

Both men all too eagerly plunged their countries head first into conflict without an exit strategy or international support.
    olmert didnt plunge Israel into anything, as theyve been in conflict with most of their neighbors, Lebanon included, for the last 60 years, and hasn't had international support for it for the last 40...

Both men recommend "staying the course" as if the course was such a brilliant plan to begin with.
    true, i suppose, about both...

Both men made pre-emptive strikes on other nations and both are compelled to explain why they were justified in doing so.
    the move against hizbollah wasnt a preemptive strike, but rather a (disproportionate, in my opinion) response to the kidnapping of Israeli soldiers...

I mean seriously are there two world leaders worse qualified to run a war campaign than these two? Maybe cherac or someone like that but at least he's got the good sense to stick to his strengths... or at least avoid his weaknesses.
    thre are pleanty, but thats besides the point...

Mark my words if Ariel Sheron hadn't gone down with that stroke this whole thing never happens. The soldiers are exchanged for some prisoners under the table and it all just goes away.
    if sharon were still in power, the response would likely have been as harsh, if not worse...

Oh and one more thing I am sure there are plenty of supporters of both men in this forum - what you all have to realize is that while you might respect these people mightily - both shot before they thought so to speak - both led their nations into conflicts where achieving victory was unlikely. 6 million Jews against a Billion Muslims is not good odds.
    at least in Olmerts defense, to allow those kidnappings to occur without some sort of response would have invited further action by Hizbollah...i dont agree with his response, but he had to do something to ensure that this doesnt happen again, or at least for a while...in the process, he's likely succeeded in crushing both Hizbollah and Hamas as military forces, if not as political entities as well

You can bash me for these observations but you can't spit shine putrid results.
    no you cant spit shine putrid results...but comparing Olmert's leadership to Bush's is laughable...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Gotta applaud a guy for taking the battle to the enemy rather then taking it up the azz as most of the lunatic left would have him do- only to go on and blame Israel or blame America for the current crisis.....

funny how, even when trying to portray a leftist lunatic arguement the author of the thread can't even get simple facts correct.....nothing new though...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 08-01-2006 at 05:54 PM.

All Pro
    Of course bitonti was up in arms when his boy Clinton dropped bombs on the serbs, you know with all his military duty and all.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    so let's summerize:

I missed it. What combat have you seen that enables you to comment? I thought only if you fought, you could have an opinion.

There's another similarity. Both men will lead their countries to victory and expose you liberals for the appeasers and quitters you are.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by pope
    Of course bitonti was up in arms when his boy Clinton dropped bombs on the serbs, you know with all his military duty and all.
    0 American casualties