Thread: From the Sandmonkey

Hall Of Fame

From the Sandmonkey

Sandmonkey is an Egyptian blogger I've been reading the past couple of weeks - bright, articulate, and funny. Here's one of his posts from yesterday:

Some slightly uncomfortable questions

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a co-worker, on the concept of the disporportinate Israeli attacks on Lebanon compared to Hezbollah attacks. He pointed to me his dismay at Hezbollah's rockets ineffeciency at hitting targets. He said "If you noticed, they bomb each other almost equally in amounts of missiles shot, but 90% of Hezbollah's rockets miss or hit nothing, while all of Israel's rockets hit something. If Hezbollah had better rockets, the civillian death toll on the Israeli side would be huge, and they would be really hurting by now."

Impressed by this point of view that I haven't considerd before, I asked him what he would've thought, if a Hezbollah rocket had attacked a building in Israel, killing 55 civillians, of which 30 were children. He responded immeidtely "I would've thought it was great! A7san!".

So I repeated the same question to 8 other co-workers, and the responses so far have been as follows: 7 said they would celebrate, and 2 said that such an attack would've been bad, but justified! Yeah! Not a single person said that the death of any civllian, on either side, is an equal tragedy. Civillians dead on our side is tragic, civillian deaths on their side cause for celebration. And if you think I am being unfair or demonizing arabs or whatever, do me a favor and try it at your work place and/or with members of your family. Conduct this little social experiment and see for yourself. The results are very interesting.

This begs another question: If we were the ones who had the superior military machine, would we have shown them any mercy, or any regard to their civillian casualties? Would we have hesitated to wipe them all out? Armed forces, civillians, whatever? Would any of us have felt bad about it at all? Or would we be filled with the feelings of Pride, honor and dignity that we keep talking about day and night?

I am just wondering!

What do you think?

http://www.sandmonkey.org/2006/08/01...ble-questions/

Hey, Lancemehlittle, you paying attention?

All League
    interesting, and not too surprising doggin...nice find, i'll have to check this guy out...

and i think "a7san" means "the best," (ahssan) at least if i'm reading the 7 properly, for anyone who is curious...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    interesting, and not too surprising doggin...nice find, i'll have to check this guy out...

and i think "a7san" means "the best," (ahssan) at least if i'm reading the 7 properly, for anyone who is curious...
    I think that word is right - these sites use 7s and 3s for arabic pronounciations that there's no direct transliteration of

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer

I was wondering that, thanks.

great link doggin, very interesting.

Hall Of Fame
    I hate to say it, but exactly the reason why they have to be slapped down hard, since its the only thing they understand.

ps: just read the "Milk & Honey" thing - too funny.
    Last edited by quantum; 08-04-2006 at 09:18 AM.