Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mets lockup Wright with $55M deal !!!

Jets Insider VIP

Mets lockup Wright with $55M deal !!!

I guess they've seen enough and know they have the real deal here. Nice to see them lock up a young talent for the longterm. Way to go, Mets! Now if they could just get some young pitching....

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5849808?FSO1&ATT=HMA

All Pro
    Yep 23 it's a real smart thing to do especially since Wright has always stated he wants to remain a Met. They seem to be doing everything right. Now if we can just address the aging starting corp in the off season.

Hall Of Fame
    Didn't they already sign him? Or is this another guy?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick
    Must be another guy since this is the third thread about it........

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick
    You're probably thinking of Reyes, who they re-signed last week.

All League
    another misleading deal. wright was scheduled to make pennies for the next 3 years. so now for the 3 years after that, he would have been eligible for free agency, so basically they are paying him like 53 mil for 3 years after his original contracts woulda ended... doesn't sound as amazing after that is mentioned... maybe he is worth that, he looks like he will be, but not an incredible 9 a year like it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rep
    another misleading deal. wright was scheduled to make pennies for the next 3 years. so now for the 3 years after that, he would have been eligible for free agency, so basically they are paying him like 53 mil for 3 years after his original contracts woulda ended... doesn't sound as amazing after that is mentioned... maybe he is worth that, he looks like he will be, but not an incredible 9 a year like it sounds.
    Wrong.

Wright was arbitration eligible after the 2007 season, he would have made some major coin in arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Wrong.

Wright was arbitration eligible after the 2007 season, he would have made some major coin in arbitration.
    Ikey what's up with Reyes' contract? One of my friends told me he makes most of his money if they pick up the 5th year. Is that true?

reyes contract has a club option of 11 million for the fifth year or he could be bought out for i believe 1 million. So, yes, the fifth yr is by far the most valuable asset within the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    Ikey what's up with Reyes' contract? One of my friends told me he makes most of his money if they pick up the 5th year. Is that true?
    Yeah, club option for 11 million dollars.

I don't think the contract will ever come to that though, he will be extended before that if he does well, or if he regresses then they would decline the option.

Personally, I think Reyes' got a better deal than Wright, If Reyes consistently puts up these numbers he is looking at a MONSTER deal by the age of 28.

Jets Insider VIP

Horrible Deal for Reyes..

Wright's Guaranteed Numbers:
    2007: $1M
    2008: $5M
    2009: $7.5M
    2010: $10M
    2011: $14M
    2012: $15M

Reyes ' Guaranteed Numbers:
    2007: $2.5M
    2008: $4M
    2009: $5.75M
    2010: $9M

Over the same period, Wright is getting $23.5M while Reyes is getting $21.25M. That's not that big of a difference BUT Wright has $29M MORE in guaranteed money for the next 2 years. That's money Wright is going to get if he blows out both knees tommorrow.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SMC]Wright's Guaranteed Numbers:

Over the same period, Wright is getting $23.5M while Reyes is getting $21.25M. That's not that big of a difference BUT Wright has $29M MORE in guaranteed money for the next 2 years. That's money Wright is going to get if he blows out both knees tommorrow.[/QUOTE]
    God forbid.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    God forbid.
    Absolutely. But it demonstrates how bad the Reyes deal is. Wright is set for the next 6 years, regardless of injuries. Reyes has to hope he is healthy enough to cash in 4 years and he has had some injury concerns in the past.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Wright's Guaranteed Numbers:

Over the same period, Wright is getting $23.5M while Reyes is getting $21.25M. That's not that big of a difference BUT Wright has $29M MORE in guaranteed money for the next 2 years. That's money Wright is going to get if he blows out both knees tommorrow.
    Reyes specifically wanted a shorter deal. If you sign a shorter deal, it won't be as lucrative. Nor should it be. If Reyes signed on for a longer term, he would have been over $10m for 2011 and 2012.

Anyone you ask will tell you that Wright is more valuable than Reyes. Wright drives runs in, Reyes creates them. The big bat is always more of a sought after commodity. Taking that into account, Wright's annual salary, should be 10-15% higher. Rather than take the 7 yr deal, Reyes would rather test the FA market after 4 years (or 5 with the option), which is his right. He may end up making more than Wright does those years, or at least more than he would make if he signed a 7 yr deal now.

Or, he may get injured or not continue his high level of play, and his gamble will work against him.

But, looking at the deals side by side in no way demonstrates that Reyes got taken to the cleaners. Both of them got exactly what they should have gotten considering their potential, their performance and the stage they're in in their careers, wrt arb and FA.

Jets Insider VIP
    But don't forget that Reyes gave up TWO YEARS of Free Agency and TWO YEARS of Arbitration. Wright only gave up 1 year of Free Agency. That's why the shorter deal, less money argument doesn't work. Reyes gave up more than Wright but for way less money.

And, of course, as a run producer, Wright is going to get more, but $30+ million more than Reyes who is a run scorer? Plus, Reyes has shown some pop at the plate.

But don't forget that Reyes gave up TWO YEARS of Free Agency and TWO YEARS of Arbitration. Wright only gave up 1 year of Free Agency. That's why the shorter deal, less money argument doesn't work. Reyes gave up more than Wright but for way less money.

And, of course, as a run producer, Wright is going to get more, but $30+ million more than Reyes who is a run scorer? Plus, Reyes has shown some pop at the plate.
    Reyes gave up 3 years of arbitration and ONE year of FA (if they pick up the option it probably would be worth more than he would get as a FA anyway)

Wright gave up 3 years arbitration and 2 years of FA (maybe 3 with the option).

Jets Insider VIP
    Wrong.

Same as Reyes. Some say if Reyes would have waited until next year he would have shattered the arbitration record for a ss. Well if there is a record noted.

Jets Insider VIP
    Reyes gave up 3 years of arbitration and ONE year of FA (if they pick up the option it probably would be worth more than he would get as a FA anyway)

Wright gave up 3 years arbitration and 2 years of FA (maybe 3 with the option).
    Thanks Ikey. I'll have to look into this, because I thought there was 4 years of service time then two years of arbitration eligibility followed by FA with Reyes entering into his arbitration years.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Absolutely. But it demonstrates how bad the Reyes deal is. Wright is set for the next 6 years, regardless of injuries. Reyes has to hope he is healthy enough to cash in 4 years and he has had some injury concerns in the past.
    If Reyes wanted to sign for 2011 and 2012 at $11m and $13m respectively, the Mets would have said "Where do we sign?" The reason he is not set was because he decided not to.

If your point is that Reyes made a bad decision, that fine. I see your point --Not sure I agree with it, but its a valid POV.

IF you are saying that the Mets pulled one over on Reyes, thats clearly not the case. Reyes wanted to hit the FA market in 2010. HIS DECISION. Whether that's a good decision remains to be seen. Reyes could get a deal at $20m/per, or he could be out of baseball.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Thanks Ikey. I'll have to look into this, because I thought there was 4 years of service time then two years of arbitration eligibility followed by FA with Reyes entering into his arbitration years.
    3 years service time, followed by 3 years arbitration, followed by FA.