Thread: Mark McGwire and the Hall of Fame

Mark McGwire and the Hall of Fame

Having an insomniac night and watching the replay of Sunday's Sports Reporters on ESPN2.

Bob Ryan opened the show by making the best argument for voters who want to keep BigMac out of the Hall next year I've heard yet.

"Hey Mark, you don't want to talk about your past? Good. I can't be bothered evaluating your past. No Hall of Fame for you!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Having an insomniac night and watching the replay of Sunday's Sports Reporters on ESPN2.

Bob Ryan opened the show by making the best argument for voters who want to keep BigMac out of the Hall next year I've heard yet.

"Hey Mark, you don't want to talk about your past? Good. I can't be bothered evaluating your past. No Hall of Fame for you!!!"

Yeah... Plus his numbers werent even that great... He hit a lot of homeruns but I think he only hit over .300 one year, and none of his single season RBIs or runs totals is that great... plus he never won a championship.

His last year is actually really weird and sickening... if you read the game of shadows excerpt on SI, they called it a "freak show batting line":

299 AB, .187, 29HR, 64RBI Just up there swinging for the fences.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    Yeah... Plus his numbers werent even that great... He hit a lot of homeruns but I think he only hit over .300 one year, and none of his single season RBIs or runs totals is that great... plus he never won a championship.

His last year is actually really weird and sickening... if you read the game of shadows excerpt on SI, they called it a "freak show batting line":

299 AB, .187, 29HR, 64RBI Just up there swinging for the fences.
    He won a championship in '89 when the A's beat the Giants in the earthquake series.

A good number of the 500 homerun hitters were sub-.300 career hitters. It used to be that 500 homers got you in no questions asked. But for McGwire and escpecially Sosa, the overall careers were not that impressive and the steroid spectre makes their cases so much weaker.

He won a championship in '89 when the A's beat the Giants in the earthquake series.

A good number of the 500 homerun hitters were sub-.300 career hitters. It used to be that 500 homers got you in no questions asked. But for McGwire and escpecially Sosa, the overall careers were not that impressive and the steroid spectre makes their cases so much weaker.
    Your right, I forgot about 89...

If you check out Bonds, and Sosa though, I think they had a lot more Ribbies, which I would expect from a power hitter.

All League

That quote was one of the best ones I've heard yet on the situation. Bob Ryan is right and stuck it to McGwire by using his own quote against him. Great.

On a personal note, I feel McGwire should never be allowed into the HOF.

I don't think using performance enhancing drugs should keep someone out of the HOF, but I think they do need to be taken into account. I think someone like Bonds should be allowed in, but not someone like Big Mac or Giambi.